• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2015 New Year Resolutions?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a good one for New Year's resolutions. I've never made them before because I really never saw the point. I mean, to me, whenever you want to resolve to do something, you should just go ahead and do it. It shouldn't take a new year for you to make a commitment, if you feel strongly enough.

This year is different. I've decided that in 2015, I am not going to buy anything for myself -- other than necessities, of course, like toiletries, medication, stuff like that. Oh, I have one exception: ski boots, if needed. Mine are getting some miles on them, so it might be THE YEAR. So if I need them, yes, I'll make the purchase.

Other than that, no. I'm at the point in my life where I have pretty much everything I need: clothes, ski gear, jackets, sweaters, shoes. I'm not sure if it just comes with age or from so many years of accumulating stuff, but I'm in a good place, material-wise. My decision isn't based on finances (although I'm hoping to save a load of money); it just comes from deciding I'm done being governed by things, at least for a while. It's merely a case of simplifying my life. Anyway, I figure I'll give it a try and see how far I can take it. If I make it, fine. If I don't, well, at least I tried.

So what about you? Anyone else with New Year's resolutions out there?

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
Mine is similar. It's more of a goal really. I have let the old credit card get a bit high over the last year, so I'm going to pay it off. I took an extra job with the DA's office - tutoring a specific "at risk" girl that they are targeting through their gang intervention program. The extra money will help me to dent that bad boy, money gobbling card.

Jilly

Staff member
My thinking is similar to Ski Diva's, in that if you want to get it done, then start now, not at some specific date.

But since I'm still on holiday, nothing is going to happen till I get back home...Actively and really put an effort into losing some 15 lbs of weight. I mean I'm having a hard time doing up the ski pants....and I'm not buying new ones..so....it's just got to happen...

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I *will* loose my body fat in 2015. The last few months I've been tweaking my diet by cutting out refined foods and limiting fructose; looking at grain free and paleo options and toying with intermittent fasting. There has been no movement on the scales yet but I think I have lost some in measurement...I can tell from my clothes.

It's now time to consolidate and go for a total commitment (I was following an 80/20 rule during my transition to eating 'clean', as some call it). By the time I go skiing in March I would like the scales to show a 5 kg (11lb) loss. The other 10 kgs can hopefully be gone by years end.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm contemplating giving up Diet Coke. But I really, really like it, so I'm still at the thinking about it stage. We'll see. I've been gradually cutting back over the last few years, so maybe it's time to give up the evening one and just drink water. That would get me down to about two cans a day.

abc

Banned
I never did New Year resolution. Not because I'm against it.

If I decide to do something, I tend to just get start right away!

And if I can't get started right away because it's hard or because I don't feel like to do it? Then I know it probably won't ever happen. New Year won't make any difference.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny ....diet soft drinks are soooo bad for you...it's the artificial sweeteners. I have been doing so much reading regarding nutrition with my own plan for a lifestyle change.

Here's an article that popped up when I googled, "diet soda addictive". It is an interesting read and I only mention it in the hope it helps to give you some extra insight into your decision.
https://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/diet.soda.health/

Last edited:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SkiDiva, even though I teased about it on FB, I think your resolution is a good one. I've had to look carefully at the want/need dichotomy since my husband died, when things have been tight. I've come to the conclusion that stuff = maintenance. I don't want to spend my time on maintenance of anything except those things that bring me joy.

This year, I am resolved to take the bull by the horns and deal with my health issues. No more letting health professionals give me the brush-off; no more letting health insurance companies play fast and loose with everything. I know that practicing medicine in the US is fast becoming just another corporate monster, but I'm not interested in being sacrificed at that altar.

I saw a picture in a shop in Cambria last week that I want to recreate for myself. It was a watercolor of a woman with arms outstretched to the sky and the rising sun, and words along the right read, "One morning, she woke up - and decided to be healthy."

That's my resolution, whatever it takes.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny ....diet soft drinks are soooo bad for you...it's the artificial sweeteners. I have been doing so much reading regarding nutrition with my own plan for a lifestyle change.

Here's an article that popped up when I googled, "diet soda addictive". It is an interesting read and I only mention it in the hope it helps to give you some extra insight into your decision.
https://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/diet.soda.health/
I know, I know - there've been so many articles lately it's not like I don't know that it's bad for me. I just like the stuff and have been drinking it for almost 40 years!

On the plus side, I used to drink a LOT more, to the point where I had the caffeine withdrawal headaches and all, and cut back from that volume years ago. Now it's just that I like it, and probably a lot of habit, more than anything else. Plus, I don't like tea, or coffee, and I don't want to start drinking juice instead, because then it's more calories. And if it's the artificial sweeteners that I'm avoiding, I can't just substitute something else diet for the Diet Coke.

And it's conveniently packaged in single serving sizes, available anywhere you go - as is water, but I'm against paying for water and everything that goes along with that whole industry . . . .

abc

Banned
I know, I know - there've been so many articles lately it's not like I don't know that it's bad for me. I just like the stuff and have been drinking it for almost 40 years!

On the plus side, I used to drink a LOT more, to the point where I had the caffeine withdrawal headaches and all, and cut back from that volume years ago. Now it's just that I like it, and probably a lot of habit, more than anything else. Plus, I don't like tea, or coffee, and I don't want to start drinking juice instead, because then it's more calories. And if it's the artificial sweeteners that I'm avoiding, I can't just substitute something else diet for the Diet Coke.

And it's conveniently packaged in single serving sizes, available anywhere you go - as is water, but I'm against paying for water and everything that goes along with that whole industry . . . .
Vitamin Water?

I'm kind of like you. I like drinks that has a bit of flavor. So plain water is out. (if you can stand water, another option is carrying a water bottle with you all the time, refilling at any fountain.)

There're other "conveniently packaged in single serving sizes, available anywhere you go" drinks these days that doesn't has a whole lot of sugar or sweetener in it.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A long time ago my mom and I loved Diet Pepsi. They changed the formula, and neither one of us liked it. My dad bought pallets of the old stuff while it was still available and I switched to drinking water, figuring that mom would be able to continue drinking DP for longer. I never told my parents the reason for my change, but I think my dad sussed it out. I still drink water mostly, nothing better for quenching thirst. Special occasions--right after taking off ski boots, pizza dinners, or microbrew root beers--merit exceptions to the rule!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My resolution is to believe and live the concept that my identity is separate from my work.

I have my own work ethic and ethical
standards as well as a very fulfilling life outside of work. The standards of others are not necessarily the better standard and I want to really come to the point where I don't measure myself against other standards.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My resolution for 2014 was to give back more to the community. I have done a lot of volunteer/advocacy in my field (Im on the KY Girls STEM board, very active in promoting ag with 4H and FFA etc) but I didnt do much outside of ag/science. I kept that resolution-I work every other weekend at the local foodbank as a volunteer team leader and Im on the county's relay for life comitee.

For 2015, i want to keep up with that resolution and add:
1. Cutting down on diet coke from once to day to one or twice a week
2. To keep my hotheadness in check
3. Get back down to my normal non fluffy weight (i put on 5-7 lbs traveling this fall. too much food and booze) cause my ski pants are snug.

alicie

Angel Diva
To simply make this year my year. I say simply, probably more likely it will be complicated but rather than trying and failing to do specific things, this seems like a better idea.

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't know what I was thinking--I went to the gym last night, the Monday after New Year's. It was mobbed with resolution people. It was like being at an Irish pub on March 17th.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I completed my NYE resolution today. I had resolved to "figure out WTH is up with my knees." So I got an appointment, saw an ortho, got some x-rays, and got an answer. I don't like the answer. It starts with an "A" and ends in "-itis" and seriously I am not that old!! :cry:

So resolution part 2 is to be a good girl and do all of the recommended physical therapy to mitigate and manage. And they said NSAIDS are fine unless I'm using them for daily pain management, which I'm not, and they didn't say I couldn't do anything I'm currently doing (like ski). My goal is to start running again and I probably won't be able to do that to the extent that I'd like, unfortunately. Boo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly