• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2008 Demo Days

Jilly

Staff member
Ladies - I'm off to the 2008 NSIA Demo days next week. We get 2 days to demo next years skis, some boots, goggles and maybe helmets. If anyone has any ski they want a review on, please let me know and I'll try to get on it. Volkl has shown up for this gig in awhile, so don't ask for those. But all the rest of the majors will be there. I'm going to use the form that on the thread here to review. Side note: Atomic is making major changes to next years lineup. Will let you know more after I see it. (It so nice to have a friend that owns a ski shop!!)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You are one lucky Diva! Sounds like a dream job to me!

Be sure to post reviews of everything you try.

Jilly

Staff member
I most certainly will. I'm to try the ladies stuff as the owner has lots of male friends to try the unisex stuff. If the manufacturer's haven't changed the models, I might not try it. ie if the Rush 10 is a cosmetic change, I won't bother with it. I will try the K2's as the shop doesn't sell them. He has K2 inlines but not the skis go figure ?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If there are Nordicas there: I've heard good things about the Nordica Victory's. Don't know what they've got planned for next season, but I'd like to know how the Victory's or their successsors are.

Jilly

Staff member
I know the Nordica rep and he'll be looking for me. I tried this years Speed and Victory at the demo last year. Speed is the women's version of the Speed 12, great carver. Victory I found all terrain with a wide waist and a little stiff. I know the Nordica rep, the Dalbello/Elan rep, Rossi rep, Atomic rep and Salomon rep from doing instore training. Know the Head rep from another life. So no problem with most of the ski manufacturers. I want to talk to the Dalbello and Rossi rep about boots for myself. But the idea is to try skis for the shop and give feedback to my friend and to the Diva's. SkiBob doesn't mind!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Almost forgot (so I'm glad you reminded me) -- I'm interested in the Elans and Heads, too.

Just try them all -- that should do it! :D

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Jilly, please please please try the new for '08 Head Power Thangs. Just read a very positive review of them on Epic, and I'd love to hear your take on them.

Jilly

Staff member
On the list with the Elan Speed Magics at the moment. I'll find Jeff the Head rep. Rumour has it that Atomic has changed everything up for 2008. 2 guys went to an Atomic demo day on Wednesday, so I'm stopping at the shop Saturday afternoon to check that out.

Jilly

Staff member
Atomic is dropping the Supercross and Izor lines for next year. I don't know what that is going to mean to the Balaze line. The replacement/new line is going to be called Hawk. Seem that Salomon is going to have a Falcon model. Are we all to fly???

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly, if you could please add the Wave Magic to your list as well. I'd be interested to hear a side by side comparison of the Wave Magic and the Speed Magic. (I'm an intermediate skier who likes to go fast, and doesn't have much experience)

Looking forward to all of your reviews, looks like you've got a lot of fun ahead of you, enjoy and pass on the info! :D

Jilly

Staff member
Will do. I tried both last year. Didn't like either, but I think I missed something. Last year also I was just trying everything. This year I have a plan. I'll be out of touch after lunch (EST) Wednesday, so if anyone else wants to add to the list please get them in!!

Jilly

Staff member
Ok, I'm back and tired. I'll post results tomorrow night. But to start, this was a national demo for retail stores. I was representing our local ski shop. So it was work too Diva's. Nice work if you can get it eh! Not all manufacturers showed up. The list is small - Fischer, K2, Nordica, Head, Rossi, Elan, Salomon and Vist. There are also another skis for free-heelers. We had 2 days to try as much as you wanted. I had a list from the store and from you ladies. I will tell you I found a new love - its a Vision. If we'd had another day I might have gotten to the K2's, but since we have so many Diva's on them I didn't get too worried. There are not many changes from the companies. Cosmetics and name changes, but the ski underneath is still the same. Also there were demo boots by Nordica and Head. Dalbello had some Lotus, but they were too small. Another aspect of this is the ability to demo goggles, helmets and poles. Poles are poles!! Conditions were great, but cold. Friday the wind chill in the morning was -35 deg C. (-40 C is the same as -40 F) Not a good time to try out the Elan speedsters!! I'll get everything together and report results Monday!

Jilly

Staff member
Thursday demo day

Well Diva's here goes. To start I'm a level 2 instructor here in Canada. I've taken the 3 course, but not the exams yet. I consider myself a finesse skier, with power when I need it. Also very techincal, part of the instructor thing. And I love speed. I'm 5'5 and 160 lbs. Tremblant had pulled out all the stops for us. The place was groomed and in top shape. The sun was out, but it was a little windy on top so the trip down the Beauvallon to return wasn't really an option. So I took the fast, steep route instead. As I said before I was working too, so it off to Salomon and Rossi.

1. Salomon - Rush 160cm carver. This ski really hasn't changed from last years model. The number series has been replaced with names. I found this ski didn't like hardpack or steeps. Rated it a 4 for all turns. Just enough flex and side cut for most skiers.
2. Origins - 154cm all mountain. New name for Siam 10. This ski really didn't like the hardpack. It did like long turns. The edge to edge transfer seemed to take forever. I also felt the 154 was too short.
3. Rossi- Attraxion 9. New ski from Rossi. Its a recreational model of the mutti. Different length arms are added to the binding to change the flex pattern. The long arms were in the front, short in the back. (Only way to get them into the gondola holders!) This ski is not for the timid. It loved speed, steeps and anything groomed. It held the ice and hardpack. It definately wasn't forgiving. Relaxing was not allowed. 162 cm.
4. Fischer Vision - Breeze. I didn't know that Fischer made women's skis. I want to thank JB007 or aka TJ from TGR for pointing me in this direction. 160cm carver. It was stable, 4 in all turns, flex just right and absolutely loved the hardpack. I fell in love with this ski. I didn't want to give it back. I may have a nice surprise for you Diva's later in the week on this ski.
5. Head Power Thang - for SkiDiva. 160 cm I think. I just wasn't impressed with this ski. It lacked edge grip, stability, rebound. Reminded me of my C9 Atomics. It absolutely loved the groomed cordury though.

Thursday ended with free beer sponsored by SBC and Skier mags.

On to Friday.

Jilly

Staff member
Friday Part 2

Friday dawned COLD - BLOODY COLD. The wind chill at the top was at least -35 degree C. Face mask and away I go.
1. Elan - Speed Magic. Not a day to try speedsters!! This ski still feels strange to me. There is no weight to them on the snow. That makes me nervous. These guys need to be on edge all the time. Very soft flex. Likes the short and medium turns. Rebound was good. But if the ski is not on edge its nervous and flighty. So beware. 160 cm
2. Elan - Black Magic - 160 cm. Same as this years Black Perla. Stable and more forgiving than the Speed. Alittle more traditional? True parabolic ski. Shovel and tail the same width. It you don't like the Speed try this one.
3. Salomon - Aero GT. 160 cm. Salomon dropped the Streetracer this year. This is the new carver. Didn't like long turns. Definately wasn't forgiving at all. Too stiff and also needs to be on edge. The GT is second top model. There are two below and 1 above it. Unisex ski by the way.
4. Rossi - Bandit 74 162 cm. I've never tired the Bandits before. This one has the narrowest waist. It loved the soft stuff that appeared on the Johansen pitch. But it didn't like the hardpack. Better at medium to long turns. Flex was just right. Its an all mountain ski and liked those conditions.
5. Salomon Origins - 160cm I went back and got the 160cm length. This was a better length. Now the ski was stiffer.
6. Fischer Vision Breeze - I just had to take this one out again. Why is it that I ended up skiing with JB007 again. He actually tried to get them to give me the ski for the weekend. (He's sponsored by Fischer)

Hubby and I ended the day with a drink at La Diable. Who should be sitting next to us but the President and publisher of SKI CANADA. He tells me that his "tech editor" doesn't think we need lady specific skis. I told him to lurk around here!!

I will be interested to see the reviews next fall from the magazines.

Any questions please post. I might be able to remember certain things about some of the skis.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for the great reviews, Jilly!

Now you've got me curious about the Fisher Vision Breeze. Yet another one for my demo list!!!!! Do you have any specs on it?

And what's up with Ski Canada's tech editor??? Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

Jilly

Staff member
I didn't get the specs, but might be able to next weekend. JB's trying to get me a pair. Tech guy - well he's a guy eh!! His argument is that really good skiers don't need a ladies ski. Well yeah, but % wise how many are really good skiers. The majority need the ladies ski. It will be interesting to see if anything appears in the mag. I'll keep my eyes open.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
And what's up with Ski Canada's tech editor??? Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

Really, men...95% of them ruin it for the rest. ;)

SkiBaby

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you Jilly for the comprehensive reviews. I'm still at the point where I feel rather cavewoman-like in my assessment of skis. (Ski? Gooooooood! Ski? Baaaaaaaaaaad) But thanks to all you gearheads, I'm slowly soaking up lingo and how to articulate what different skis feel like. Keep it coming! And, yes, I'm very curious about the potential surprise you might have for the Divas......;)

sskier

Certified Ski Diva
hi Jilly,
I would love to compare notes had I kept one's as great as yours. I also demo next years ski at Mammoth a week or so ago. The condition were packed powder with ice spots and wind at the top. Second day it snowed.
As far as the K2 line goes the only change is the One Luv- it's brand new sk. (118 74 103). I do like the Head line- Head has a new ski the Every Thang which I found a great all mountain ski. The only difference on the Sweet Fast Thang is the graph. I demo the top two womon ski's of Salomon but can't remember which one until I see them. I know that I liked them. I ski on Volkl - should I say more.
Atomic has a new line- which I still find heavy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing