• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: 17yr old skier looking for advice/suggestions for new skis

Dashwood

Diva in Training
First time posting. Sorry that it's so long. I've been reading a lot of threads on here the last couple of days and was hoping for help picking a ski.
I'm 17, 5'0"(I might grow an inch at 18. My Mom did.) and 90lbs.
After renting for 13 years my parents have agreed to buy me my first pair skis. I've learned here that I should be demoing skis, but my Dad is impatient about buying skis and wont let me take the time to do that. He wants me to decide on a pair within a couple of weeks or else he'll possibly pick one for me himself.

I think I'm probably a decent skier. I ski in the northeast, generally at Jaypeak, Loon, and Bretton Woods. I can ski all of the advanced trails at Loon and BW without any trouble, but there are a few I have a harder time on at Jay.
I ski almost exclusively in the glades, but sometimes I'm forced out onto the groomers when all the glades are closed as a result of icy conditions.

I'm trying to find a ski for primarily in the trees and bumps, but could also be used in steep icy groomers on occasion.
I went to a ski shop where the salesman recommended I get skis at 150-155cm length and 88-92mm waist. The skis he showed me were: Santa Ana 88, Black Pearl 88, Sheeva 9, K2 Mindbender 88ti, and QST LUX 92.

If anyone has used any of these it would be great to hear what you think of them or if you have any other suggestions I would love to hear those as well. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! You're just about the size I was at that age. And my daughter is about your age and in the same ballpark. We both like the BP88. I've demo'd at 145cm and 159cm. If I were skiing mostly in the northeast, I would go with the shorter length. The 145cm was surprisingly stable at high speed on a steep groomer out west the day I was on it when no ungroomed terrain was skiable. There is also a BP82, but it's new and I haven't demo'd it yet.

I liked the Santa Ana 88 last March at the Sunapee Women's Demo Day. Had the 158cm, 119-88-106, turn radius 14m.

The Rossi Experience 84 would probably be good in the northeast.

I happen to like the Head Total Joy line. I own the Absolut Joy @148, 78 underfoot. But the Total Joy that's 84mm makes more sense for the northeast when going in the trees. I tend to stay on groomers in the east and avoid icy conditions. Too spoiled by trips out west.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think your salesman is right on the mark, both with the size you’re looking for and on those recommendations. All of those skis will do what you want in the places that you ski.

At your light weight, I would shy away from the skis that have a lot of metal in the construction until you have time to demo. In general, most lighter skiers will enjoy something that bends a bit easier. The Black Pearl might be your best bet, simply because it is the most popular ski on the market. But, I think the Sheeva or the Lux could serve you well too. Another one that would check your boxes would be the Völkl Yumi.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree - you’ve got a decent salesperson. Those are good recommendations and lengths.

Were you doing a seasonal lease on the skis before? Or renting each time you went skiing? Do you remember what you were most recently on and how they felt?

Dashwood

Diva in Training
Agree - you’ve got a decent salesperson. Those are good recommendations and lengths.

Were you doing a seasonal lease on the skis before? Or renting each time you went skiing? Do you remember what you were most recently on and how they felt?
It was a junior seasonal lease. I think the most recent one was a 148cm Rossignol Sprayer Junior Alpine Ski.

It was a good ski in the glades if there was an average amount of snow with maybe a hint of ice. If it was fluffy deeper snow they sunk so I had to be careful with how I skied it to avoid my skis getting caught under the snow.

I remember thinking they were awful on icy groomed trails. I had trouble maintaining the faster speed I enjoy and gripping the icy snow. Sometimes it almost felt as if the skis were shaking or bouncing(if that makes any sense?) underneath me making it harder to balance if I didn't go slower than I normally would.

Jilly

Staff member
The Sprayer is a junior, kids ski. The description of the action of the skis, tells me that they were too short for you and too soft. You've out grown them.

The recommendation from the shop are good. I don't think you're strong or weigh enough for a Ti ski. But the rest are good.

Dashwood

Diva in Training
The Sprayer is a junior, kids ski. The description of the action of the skis, tells me that they were too short for you and too soft. You've out grown them.

The recommendation from the shop are good. I don't think you're strong or weigh enough for a Ti ski. But the rest are good.

I've been leaning towards either the BP88 or the Sheeva 9.

From what I've gathered the BP88 may be too soft and the Sheeva 9 could potentially be better in the trees, but it's shortest length past 148cm is 157cm, which I'm worried might be too long. Would a 157cm ski be appropriate? Or would I possibly be better off with the BP88 at 152cm?

mustski

Angel Diva
I haven’t skied the Sheeva 9 ... but, Blizzard gave it more rocker in both the tip and the tail than the BP 88. Theoretically, that will make it ski shorter so that length should be fine. I am 5’2” - 125lbs- and I ski everything from a 159 to a 169 depending on the rocker profile. @contesstant has considerable experience with both these skis and can probably add quite a bit of insight here.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m 5’4, 130lbs and ski the Sheeva 9 in the 164 length, I think the next size down is reasonable for your size. It’s a really fun and versatile ski, and it skis short. I was in the trees a ton with them last season, they’re a blast all over the mountain. Are you able to demo at all so you could try a couple of sizes in your top choices of skis to see what feels best to you? Ski choice and length is so subjective from person to person.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been leaning towards either the BP88 or the Sheeva 9.

From what I've gathered the BP88 may be too soft and the Sheeva 9 could potentially be better in the trees, but it's shortest length past 148cm is 157cm, which I'm worried might be too long. Would a 157cm ski be appropriate? Or would I possibly be better off with the BP88 at 152cm?
Based on my experience on both, the BP88 @152 would be my choice for the northeast. The Sheeva 9 @157 shouldn't be too long from the standpoint of making turns. But it had tip flap on groomers for me at the Alta Demo Day in April 2019. YMMV

What makes you think the BP88 would be too soft? Is the Sheeva 9 about the same price? Are you looking a skis with or without bindings? I assume your father doesn't care too much about the price, but it's always a factor to consider.

Dashwood

Diva in Training
Based on my experience on both, the BP88 @152 would be my choice for the northeast. The Sheeva 9 @157 shouldn't be too long from the standpoint of making turns. But it had tip flap on groomers for me at the Alta Demo Day in April 2019. YMMV

What makes you think the BP88 would be too soft? Is the Sheeva 9 about the same price? Are you looking a skis with or without bindings? I assume your father doesn't care too much about the price, but it's always a factor to consider.

I was read a couple of reviews of the BP88 that mentioned it was on the softer side and was concerned because I heard that some of the issues I had experienced with the ski I rented last year may have been because it was too soft.

Tip flap I can only assume would be much worse than a slightly softer ski so I will definitely take that into strong consideration.

My Dad wants to buy skis and bindings and have them attached. He has never really cared about the price of the skis. He's just wants to get the whole "buying skis" thing over with and keeps saying if I don't like the skis I buy we could just buy another pair, but I think that's such a waste of money.

I’m 5’4, 130lbs and ski the Sheeva 9 in the 164 length, I think the next size down is reasonable for your size. It’s a really fun and versatile ski, and it skis short. I was in the trees a ton with them last season, they’re a blast all over the mountain. Are you able to demo at all so you could try a couple of sizes in your top choices of skis to see what feels best to you? Ski choice and length is so subjective from person to person.

I might attempt to sway him about demoing again. I have a better idea of what skis I may want and you all have given me a lot of information to come up with some better arguments I can try to use against his stubbornness.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It really isn't too long until the first demo days of the season. You mentioned that you ski Loon. Theirs (I think with Ken Jones?) is one of the earliest. And they should have all of the skis you mentioned to demo. Not only will it give you an opportunity to play around with different brands and models, but also lengths. It sounds like you would prefer to do your research and buy something you know you like over the (potential) alternative-- buy something, hope you like it, if you don't at first, ski it for a while longer and try to like it, then possibly start all over again, but possibly this time after a demo day.
To play devil's advocate, perhaps your father wants to have everyone kitted out before the season starts so that every one is ready to just ski as soon as the snow flies. What if we have an early start to the season, the rest of the family is good to go, and you have no skis yet?

MissySki

Angel Diva
It really isn't too long until the first demo days of the season. You mentioned that you ski Loon. Theirs (I think with Ken Jones?) is one of the earliest. And they should have all of the skis you mentioned to demo. Not only will it give you an opportunity to play around with different brands and models, but also lengths. It sounds like you would prefer to do your research and buy something you know you like over the (potential) alternative-- buy something, hope you like it, if you don't at first, ski it for a while longer and try to like it, then possibly start all over again, but possibly this time after a demo day.
To play devil's advocate, perhaps your father wants to have everyone kitted out before the season starts so that every one is ready to just ski as soon as the snow flies. What if we have an early start to the season, the rest of the family is good to go, and you have no skis yet?

Ohh I missed the part that the OP skis Loon!! Yes, Ken Jones demo day is the first Friday in December every year, there is also one soon after that on a Saturday put on by the mountain if you can’t make the Friday. Blizzard is always there, so you'd definitely be able to try those out. Lots of other brands too like Nordica if you wanted to try the Santa Ana series, Volkl, etc. If you have a pass for Loon the Ken Jones demo is free. Sunday River does a demo two days of Thanksgiving weekend as well if you were able to get up there.

Dashwood

Diva in Training
I talked to my Dad about demoing again and after around a half hour of discussing it and the skis I would like to try...
He has agreed to let me demo before buying!!!!! :ski:

He's a little annoyed that I'm insisting on demoing, but I told him about the Loon Ken Jones demo day and he seemed happy for an excuse to go to one of his favorite ski mountains! I just mentioned Sunday River to him and as soon as the words "Sunday River" came out of my mouth he said "Oh, I've always wanted to go to Sunday River! We should go there sometime!" so he appears to be sold on both and maybe even excited!

THANK YOU to everyone for helping me!!! I've learned so much from you all and I can't wait to demo in a couple of months!!! I'm super excited!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A 157 cm ski for a 152 cm person who is just moving up to adult skis to me is a BIG jump. The Sheeva 9 does not ski as short as, say, the Sheeva 10. The 9 also has titanal in it that extends out towards the tip and tail, making it a stiffer ski than some of the others you are considering. I'm not sure how much stiffer it is in the shorter lengths, either, which can be an issue with some skis.

The Black Pearl is by no means a soft ski. It is a very user-friendly ski, however. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend those, or the new Black Pearl 82 for someone your size. The Sheeva if shorter isn't a bad choice at all, but for where you want to ski it--trees and such, that length might be a bit much.

FWIW I LOVE the Santa Ana 88. I sold my Black Pearls, which I skied for nearly 3 seasons, as soon as I got the Santa Ana 88s last season. But, they have 2 layers of titanal and I just don't know how that would feel to a lightweight like you.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I talked to my Dad about demoing again and after around a half hour of discussing it and the skis I would like to try...

He's a little annoyed that I'm insisting on demoing, but I told him about the Loon Ken Jones demo day and he seemed happy for an excuse to go to one of his favorite ski mountains! I just mentioned Sunday River to him and as soon as the words "Sunday River" came out of my mouth he said "Oh, I've always wanted to go to Sunday River! We should go there sometime!" so he appears to be sold on both and maybe even excited!

THANK YOU to everyone for helping me!!! I've learned so much from you all and I can't wait to demo in a couple of months!!! I'm super excited!!!

This is really the best way to go so I'm glad he's game to let you demo. Everyone has opinions on skis and a ski that feels one way to one skier can get a completely different take from another skier. Even skiers of a similar height and weight can have vastly different preferences in skis. Hope you have fun!!

Dashwood

Diva in Training
A 157 cm ski for a 152 cm person who is just moving up to adult skis to me is a BIG jump. The Sheeva 9 does not ski as short as, say, the Sheeva 10. The 9 also has titanal in it that extends out towards the tip and tail, making it a stiffer ski than some of the others you are considering. I'm not sure how much stiffer it is in the shorter lengths, either, which can be an issue with some skis.

The Black Pearl is by no means a soft ski. It is a very user-friendly ski, however. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend those, or the new Black Pearl 82 for someone your size. The Sheeva if shorter isn't a bad choice at all, but for where you want to ski it--trees and such, that length might be a bit much.

FWIW I LOVE the Santa Ana 88. I sold my Black Pearls, which I skied for nearly 3 seasons, as soon as I got the Santa Ana 88s last season. But, they have 2 layers of titanal and I just don't know how that would feel to a lightweight like you.

Thank you for all the information on the BP88 and Sheeva 9! I will make sure I try the Santa Ana 88 when I demo!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all the information on the BP88 and Sheeva 9! I will make sure I try the Santa Ana 88 when I demo!
Have fun demoing--it's a hoot. Pick your two or three favs and take them out a few more times if possible. Lots of awesome options-it all comes down to what works for you!

MissySki

Angel Diva

That’s so awesome!! Have so much fun demoing!!!! Have some skis that you definitely want to try at the demo in mind, and also be open to trying some other things while there if something catches your eye or ask the rep what they might recommend for you to try, you might be surprised at what you find. It can be good to make a few quick notes on each ski you try so you can remember the details later, definitely note the lengths you try. Also, you can learn as much, if not more, from what you don’t like as what you do like, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t love every ski. You’ll know you’ve found “the one” when you don’t want to give it back and can’t stop smiling. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva

Good for you! Note that sometimes you can get a deal on demo skis but can be a little harder during early season. But never hurts to ask.

Have you found this thread with tips about handling a demo day? Feel free to ask questions that come to mind.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-approach-a-demo-day.23624/

What is the situation for boots?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly