• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

15 Reasons Why I Won't Date A guy Who Can't Ski

mustski

Angel Diva
Yup. I stopped dating guys who didn't ski (or board) when I was around 32 and decided maybe I did want to get married some day. Prior to that, it didn't matter. I didn't want to risk falling in love with somebody who wouldn't share that with me. In fact, I met Bob when I planned a church ski trip!

mustski

Angel Diva
For me it was# 4 and # 7. My guy still doesn't get the desire for new gear. If it wasn't for my encouragement, he would never buy new skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
#7 and #12 definitely apply to my husband of 25 years.

I discussed skiing with him when we were dating. He was pretty good at assorted sports and had been on group ski outings in the midwest with college friends, so I thought there was potential. But we didn't get on a ski slope together until a few years after we got married. I wasn't skiing in the SE/MidA back then. His younger brother had organized a ski trip for family and friends at Heavenly. My DH joined us because he had another reason to be on the west coast. When I saw him on skis, it became obvious that he was too scared for assorted reasons to enjoy skiing. I took a few ski trips alone with friends while I was still working. He didn't mind.

My DH gave skiing one last try at Massanutten. My daughter (age 4) was already enjoying the long green after her first day of ski school. It was a warm day and he rented gear for the afternoon. I was surprised. Unfortunately, he was too stubborn to consider a beginner lesson. He was going slower than our 4yo. After that, he never wanted to try again and I didn't push.

My parents had very different interests and often took trips alone, including going overseas. They were married over 60 years. So going on some trips without my DH feels pretty normal to me.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I have been married to a non-skier for 25+ yrs. He knew I skied from the get go and I knew he didn't really enjoy it. He tried several times. He gave it up for a couple reasons - he hates winter, his size - he's 6' 7" and at the time was around 300 lbs, he was so afraid killing someone if he hit them and the lifts are not designed for someone 6' 7", he was in a deep and painful knee bend getting on and off. That being said, he completely supports me and my love/need for skiing.
We go on ski trips - I ski and he scouts out cool breakfast places and dinner places, he begins planning his fantasy baseball team, reads and plays computer games.
He will drive me for a day of skiing so I don't have to drive home after skiing most of the day. He spends the day in the lodge w/ books and a laptop.
He knows skiing makes me happy and gladly supports (puts up w/?) no dive vacations or warm weather trips from Jan to April, expensive "toys" and so on.
He rolls over and goes back to sleep when the alarm goes off at 5:30 am on a local ski day.

Since I am the family outlier - no one in either family skis (both families think I am nuts) so there were no family ski trips to go on so it may have been easier for us.

We have a lot of common interests so doing things apart has been good for us (especially where he's retired and I don't work anymore) and skiing is one of my "me time" things.

newboots

Angel Diva
IMG_0226.JPG Well, um, about #4. I've been house-shopping in Vermont with my expert-skier beloved. The driveway can't be too steep and the road has to be plowed in time for him to make it to work on the mountain by 6:00 am.

Six o'clock, you ask? . . . he works four 9-hour days so he can ski on a week day! No Saturday skiing for him; Sunday is a maybe, in the trees. So this isn't about whether one or the other of us might not "get it" about rising early in a powder day. Oh no, we have to choose the right house to buy to arrive on the mountain before dawn!

Now for #13. Despite my decidedly novice status, we have already done this. It was a lot of fun, despite the fact that it was a powder day and I was not really up to skiing in 13" of new powder. There we are above, in coordinated gaper outfits.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't have fallen for a non-skier guy. But I am pretty sure he is helping me become his skier gal.

Last edited:

Grizzla

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely # 6 for me! I love my 'dragged through a wet hedge backwards' look:thumbsup:

Also #8, modified for will carry skis and gear on the walk back when I'm too tired (he is lovely...).

12 & 14 kinda work, except that he's a boarder...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't think I'd go for a non skier, I explained my 50+ days per year habit, first year was tough now he urges me to go and when we have crappy weather asks "Where can you go?" I'm much better attitude when skiing.. trying to get him to come on a trip to go site seeing etc. we'll see.. he has too many GREAT qualities to dislike lack of skiing.. at 60 doubtful he'll start and the Marines wrecked his knees and VA does nothing to help w/that major issue.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I was the non-skier when I met SO :smile: And I'm pretty sure some of these applied to him, especially #4 and #7!

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love #12. Got to agree with most it. Don't know how you ladies without skiing partners cope.

It isn't easy. Luckily, I've belonged to a great ski club for many years and I now have a handful of good ski-buddies. DH is very tolerant of my weekend disappearances all winter and my solo winter vacations out west. So long as I accompany him on the boat (his passion) the other 3 seasons, he's a happy captain.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great for you if you can both ski together. My husband's been on a few ski trips but he's not very sporty and never got the bug. Makes no difference to me, I go away with my ski mates! I don't need a bloke with me to go skiing, we're not joined at the hip.

altagirl

Staff member
DH and I met skiing and were equally obsessed for many years, but after enough knee surgeries, I've turned into more of a casual skier who goes less than 15 days a year (down from like 100 days a year, so a huge change). DH still goes most weekend days, and I know he wishes I'd ski more. But I can't hike to ski the challenging terrain he still enjoys anymore and skiing easier train alone and waiting at the lift for him just isn't that fun, at least not EVERY day that I'm not at work. And I have a lot of other activities that I enjoy these days that I'd often rather be doing.

So while I'm one who many years ago dumped a guy for not skiing up to my standards, and loudly declared I'd be skiing every day I could until I was in my 90s, I'm now the one whose body isn't up for challenging terrain, and has found other activities that I love too. Go figure. Luckily my husband and I are working through this well. :smile:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great for you if you can both ski together. My husband's been on a few ski trips but he's not very sporty and never got the bug. Makes no difference to me, I go away with my ski mates! I don't need a bloke with me to go skiing, we're not joined at the hip.
Yep, this about the same situation as I have. DH skis, but he hasn't gotten the bug either and that's all good! We have been on a couple of ski trips but now I mainly I ski with my ski friends on weekends and same for ski trips. Besides for ski trips I usually ski all day then kinda eat dinner and relax the evening and for DH that's boring, he would rather go sightseeing/museums and doing stuff other than skiing. So ski trips with like-minded ski friends work much better. :smile: I try to make sure DH and I go on some kind of vacation/trip together and we spend most of weekends in summer together.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this is why i have all of you...very difficult to find a guy who likes to ski living in a subtropic environment, but i found one who strongly encourages me to go each year. thank you ski diva for starting this site, and for me to have the courage to find out that you'll are not a bunch of axe murderers ..."THEY ARE REAL!!" whew:banana::ski:

Jenny

Angel Diva
this is why i have all of you...very difficult to find a guy who likes to ski living in a subtropic environment, but i found one who strongly encourages me to go each year. thank you ski diva for starting this site, and for me to have the courage to find out that you'll are not a bunch of axe murderers ..."THEY ARE REAL!!" whew:banana::ski:
Amazing how many ax murderers have other interests and congregate in groups on the internet, isn't it?

Jenny

Angel Diva
But that was the idea way back then, many were fearful. Not sure what to expect. I traveled alone to meet up with divas in Tahoe, so my imagination ran wild!!
Totally get it - had the same thought one year driving down a tiny Canadian road in the dark to get to the B&B we'd booked online, with no prior connection to the people . . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly