• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

10 ski culture faux pas

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Around here it's usually the racer kids who do that. Drives me crazy, too.

My boss for most of the years I coached (and now the executive director) has been known to throw our athletes skis into garbage cans, trees, etc if they're left strewn about. I always required that my athletes rack their skis. And I told them they owed me hot cocoa if they skied on my skis.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3. No stopping in the middle of the slope. Pull off to the side.
Na, I disagree with this one.
a. the best skiing is on the edges sometimes
b. that's where I want to come out/go in the trees, get outta the way
c. airtime is often on the sides so people standing on the sides are more in the way
d. at least I have 2 options when people are in the middle versus on the side and I have to ski into the mddle in case they move

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiers code says not to stop where you obstruct a trail. Usually that means pull off to the side. But, to me, if the trail is wide enough and there are not a lot of skiers, the middle is fine if I can see you and easily get around you. But if there's a group in the middle and another on the side, it's going to start causing a problem.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes the skier's code is to keep out of the way and visible, but like CarolB says, and at least here in the east, some of the best skiing is on the edge....So use them for slalom poles!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The best skiing is usually on the edge. Plus there are fewer moving people to contend with. But it can be tough to see people, moving or otherwise, when popping out of the trees.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I can't tell you how many times I have been hit on the head (thank you helmet) by people putting the bar down immediately without any notification. Personally, I have a bit of vertigo and do like the bar down, but in many Tahoe resorts, people don't really bother with it. If there is a steep drop off, sometimes I will ask if anyone minds if I put the bar down… But, often on a quad or six pack, some group will automatically put the bar down. Bam. Is this rude? Maybe not. I'm just not used to it…

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boss for most of the years I coached (and now the executive director) has been known to throw our athletes skis into garbage cans, trees, etc if they're left strewn about. I always required that my athletes rack their skis. And I told them they owed me hot cocoa if they skied on my skis.
I LIKE this guy. It seems to be a universal trait among some groups. The coach here tried to start in with me for clearing a path for people to get to their skis when the kids left at least 40 pairs of skis in the way. I mean I know using my foot to do it isn't probably the coolest thing to do, but I wasn't going to waste alot of time pairing and racking all those skis and there was no clear cut path to get to the rack without stepping and slipping all over them. I saw her coming to chew me out and then for some reason she decided not to. Needless to say, they still leave their skis strewn about, now just a bit farther away from the lift and everyone elses skis since then.

alicie

Angel Diva
I can't tell you how many times I have been hit on the head (thank you helmet) by people putting the bar down immediately without any notification. Personally, I have a bit of vertigo and do like the bar down, but in many Tahoe resorts, people don't really bother with it. If there is a steep drop off, sometimes I will ask if anyone minds if I put the bar down… But, often on a quad or six pack, some group will automatically put the bar down. Bam. Is this rude? Maybe not. I'm just not used to it…

In Europe the bar comes down as quick as possible, so you make sure you are seated properly. I don't think too many people get nutted because it's expected that the bar will be down quickly. I think it's a cultural thing, I've never been on a chairlift where the bar doesn't go down quickly.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In Europe the bar comes down as quick as possible, so you make sure you are seated properly. I don't think too many people get nutted because it's expected that the bar will be down quickly. I think it's a cultural thing, I've never been on a chairlift where the bar doesn't go down quickly.
Yes, indeed. But, there, I expect it as I'm in another country, culture, and have learned that is how it's done in Europe. No comment. Just bar comes down.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wearing jeans while skiing. Come on people.
Something tells me the author never skied south of Washington DC. If people couldn't ski in jeans or camo pants, the ski areas would be losing a third of their revenue on weekends. :wink: Of course, it makes a difference that daytime temps are often in the 30s even mid-season.

What I don't understand are the people who are beginner/intermediate and ski or snowboard without gloves. Especially kids. What are their parents thinking?

alicie

Angel Diva
Yes, indeed. But, there, I expect it as I'm in another country, culture, and have learned that is how it's done in Europe. No comment. Just bar comes down.

Sorry, I completely missed out my point there, words are not a strong point of mine. I was meaning maybe where they ski/or have been skiing that's what you do and didn't realise that bars don't come down quickly there. Or maybe they just like the bar down quickly.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Seriously, people -- just call it out, say "Wait a sec with the bar, please," if you are dealing with settling in/removed pack/quad>6 pack chair/mix of equipment. Especially if bar has integrated foot rests. Snowboards need to align.

Around here, there's a consensus: "All clear for bar?"
Same at top: "Clear for bar up?"

Additionally --- make sure everyone is on the same page regarding direction of travel OFF the chair>ramp. Yes, this can become a problem (ask me....).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna