• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. gardenmary

Rejoice with me! Big breakthrough!

This was me too, until today. Not sure I can explain it, but I will say my coach is the best. Whatever he told me, however he told it, locked in and delivered. But I also had to get beyond my fear.
  2. gardenmary

Rejoice with me! Big breakthrough!

I've been downhill skiing for 15 years (started late in life) and have always sucked - I mean, REALLY sucked - at powder skiing. I've skipped ski days because I've been so skittish about dealing with powder or ungroomed fresh snow. Until today! When I was in Utah earlier this month, I skied...
  3. gardenmary

Multi-resort passes for 2022-23: Ikon, Epic, Indy etc.

I was not sad to read this, though it will increase my skiing price for next year. I'm thankful my local hill (Mt Hood Meadows) is pretty affordable! THRILLED to see Snowbasin Sun Valley dump Epic for Ikon.
  4. gardenmary

Big changes coming at Snowbasin

For those of you who were at Diva West in 2014, or who've skied this mountain since.....lots of changes on the horizon. Snowbasin Announces Future Development Plans The master plan has been in place for some time, but was put on the back burner after Earl Holding (owner) died and when the...
  5. gardenmary

Fire nears lift at Sierra at Tahoe!

IIRC this was done at Sun Valley some years ago. As long as the water's available, it's a pretty effective tool!
  6. gardenmary

First Day Reports, 2020

Finally got my first day in this morning. Pathetically late; so many complicating factors in my life! But it was a great first day at Mt Hood Meadows. They are no-nonsense when it comes to masks, and apparently the word is out because everyone was complying. I stuck to easy terrain for the...
  7. gardenmary

Will skiing be safer because of COVID?

I've not been on the mountain yet - utterly insane weeks leading up to Christmas for this pastor! - but my home mountain is now Mt. Hood Meadows and I couldn't be happier. They're not taking any stupid "it's my right" crap from anyone, which in this neck of the woods could reduce the numbers...
  8. gardenmary

Who owns what.

True. This is what's on Snowbasin's website: "Snowbasin is a member of the Grand America Hotels and Resorts family. Sister properties include Sun Valley Resort in Sun Valley, Idaho; Grand America in Salt Lake City, Utah; The Westgate Hotel in San Diego, California; and Little America Hotel...
  9. gardenmary

If I could change one thing about skiing, it would be.....

Reverse the impact on skiing of climate change. (If I had TWO changes, I'd get rid of the juggernaut that is Vail.)
  10. gardenmary

Where did you/will you end your 2018-2019 ski season?

Last days will be tomorrow and Friday at Mammoth.
  11. gardenmary

Bra Trees

So it started because men were ticked that women were allowed into the previously all-male patrol, and responded with a very frat-boy type of maneuver. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:
  12. gardenmary

How to let go of the fear?

This. I only call if I'm going to pass on a cat track; otherwise I need to use the width of the run. If someone likewise calls to me on a cat track I always call back a thank you.
  13. gardenmary

What's on your Skiing Bucket List?

If I saw this 9 years ago, I was still a rookie and wouldn't have dared post an answer. Today, however: *Meet and/or ski with Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin, or Picabo Street (they hang out in UT don't they?) *Ski somewhere in Europe *Ski Colorado (this is possible this year with IKON Pass)...
  14. gardenmary

I have decided to retire - SO EXCITED!

Great news! Congratulations!
  15. gardenmary

Coworking Spaces at Ski Resorts: Good Idea or Bad?

One possible good result of a specific co-working space is that the co-workers wouldn't be taking up needed tables in the serving area of the lodge - they'd be in their own space. Obviously that requires certain policies to be in place in order to work properly. I know Mammoth has started...
  16. gardenmary

I Just Bought Goode Skis

I demoed Goodes two years ago at Snowbasin's demo day event that benefits their adaptive ski program. Hands down the best ski of the day. How are you liking them?
  17. gardenmary

A new way to cut down on luggage for half the trip.....

.....order end-of-season sale skis and have them shipped to your friend at your destination. Yup, I ordered the Head Super Joys and they are being shipped to my friend in southwest SLC. I'll have the bindings mounted when I get there. First part of the trip is driving with another friend to...
  18. gardenmary

First Day of 2017 - short but GREAT!!

This coming Friday. At the moment it is raining the entire animal kingdom at my house, not just cats & dogs, and therefore the local hills may get as much as 4 more feet of snow. They've had 100+ inches this year and bases are 3-5 feet. This is pretty unusual for Southern California! My week...
  19. gardenmary

I should clarify: my likelihood of recurrence immediately post-radiation was extremely low - maybe 4%. Every person's situation and diagnosis is different and every person should always make these decisions on their own with their doctor. Tamoxifen was not so much a treatment for me as it was...
  20. gardenmary

Thanks!!! I might, MIGHT head to Utah after my big interview on Thursday to celebrate. TBD. I'll let you know!