• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. KathrynC

Ski sickness / Hausler's

I've certainly experienced nausea in whiteout conditions, on those days where you think you are turning into the fall line and then suddenly find yourself facing up the slope. Thankfully, so far, I haven't experienced this in good visibility. I do generally have problems with nausea in...
  2. KathrynC

Scottish Backcountry Trip Report!

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't ever recommend that anyone visit Scotland with the sole purpose of skiing - conditions here are simply not consistent enough for that, especially over the last 5 years or so. However, I would say that if you happen to be here during the winter and conditions...
  3. KathrynC

Yes, to some extent. The heather itself is softer than a ski base, so it doesn't really cause problems by itself. The biggest problem with heather is getting it stuck in skin glue! The real danger to skis is hidden rocks. If I see a rock, I'll step onto it rather than trying to glide over it...
  4. KathrynC

I'm glad you enjoyed it! When it's in, it's amazing. When it's thin, you need a sense of humour - but I love it! There is more interesting terrain than this, but we were keeping the angles low to mitigate avalanche risk.
  5. KathrynC

Back from my demo day! Decision made!!

Oh no! Feel better soon!
  6. KathrynC

I thought about posting this in the trip reports section, but I decided that it would be of more interest to the people who frequent this part of the forum! As some may know, I live and ski mostly in Scotland. This is a trip report for a 2-day festival of ski touring that took place in the...
  7. KathrynC

Shift Bindings Recommendations: Resort --> BC Newbie

Late to the party... As Analisa said, the Shift is just one specific binding, sold by Atomic, Armada and Salomon which are all children of the same parent company. It doesn't matter which brand you buy, the only difference will be the brand stamp and potentially the colour. I have Shifts...
  8. KathrynC

Back from my demo day! Decision made!!

I'm late to the party here! This is perhaps a silly question, but did you have them on the right feet? The first time I demoed Ripsticks (in 88), I didn't realise that they are asymmetric. I had them on the wrong feet, and I was fighting with the tails (crossing them, and catching them in...
  9. KathrynC

Pin Binding Recommendations

I was just popping on to say the same thing. Essentially, if your boots get shunted forward or back in the bindings when you hit a bump or whatever, the elastic travel allows the bindings to go with them a bit and absorb the jolt rather than spilling you out. Lack of elastic travel is why older...
  10. KathrynC

Pin Binding Recommendations

I have ATK Raider 13 Evos on my Elan Ripstick Tours. They are new this season and I haven't used them much yet - touring season here is usually March/April. So far I have no complaints. They are pretty easy to get into and I haven't had any problems with anything icing or sticking yet. They feel...
  11. KathrynC

Setup recommendations

It really depends on exactly what you are planning on doing. I have both kinds of setup, and use both regularly for different things. My "heavy" setup is 2014 Blizzard BPs (88) with shift bindings, upgraded about 2 years ago from frame bindings. I use these in Scotland, where a day out often...
  12. KathrynC

Woman Thought to be Missing Was Stuck in a Gondola Overnight!

Also, my battery drains super fast in the cold. It's not unusual for my phone to give up the ghost in the early afternoon on a cold ski day... I don't think we can make any assumptions based on the lack of a phone.
  13. KathrynC

For day to day operations, I would agree. However, it sounds like someone directed this person to the gondola after passenger operating hours were technically over. This sounds like something that is outside of the ordinary routine. I feel like: - There should be a process to ensure that the...
  14. KathrynC

I can think of a lot of scenarios where someone might be very late getting to the gondola and miss the last run down. What I can't imagine is how the staff at the top station allowed someone to board but then failed to alert staff at the bottom station that someone was on their way down. If...
  15. KathrynC

Help with AT boot fit!

I use a Scott Celeste from 2019. Very similar - I have a wide forefoot and a high instep. Much as the Gea RS looks nice, Scarpa boots have never been a good fit for me. They are always too narrow, and press on the tops of my feet. I'm not sure about sizes - I'm a 2.5 - 3 in UK street size, but...
  16. KathrynC

Skiing's Gender Gap Widens with Age

I do find some this with some women's programmes. There is a mountaineering school in Scotland that provides courses and tuition in all aspects of mountaineering, including ski mountaineering. Each year, they hold a two-day "Wild Ski" festival during a March weekend, where they have workshops...
  17. KathrynC

Boots HUGE help please

Good to hear that you got good service at Rivington Alpine. I've been to Colin a few times, but it's a long way for me (I live in Glasgow) so it's nice to know there is somewhere closer!
  18. KathrynC

Yes, I see this in the mountaineering and rock climbing worlds as well.
  19. KathrynC

Cold feet

Regarding the first part of that, it is often recommended not to wear your ski socks to the hill. The reasoning is exactly this - if your socks are slightly sweaty because your feet have been warm in the car, they are more likely to get cold in your ski boots. Wear different socks en route, and...
  20. KathrynC

I had some thoughts based on an off-piste coaching and guided ski week that I just took part in. On this particular week, all of the participants were female and all of us were over 40 (I was the youngest at almost 43). I estimate the oldest participant was in her early 60s. I've done similar...