• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. R

Rossignol Famous 6

Thanks! They were freshly tuned last weekend. I forgot to tune them over the summer because of Covid and took my first runs on untuned skis. I was hoping a tune would help but it really didn’t. I’m going to check out the sales today.
  2. R

Rossignol Famous 6

Hi All. I’ve gotten my first couple of afternoons of runs under my feet for the season and have noticed that the pro shop at the mountain has a lot of last year’s skis on sale. I’ve been thinking about getting new skis for a couple of seasons but due to Covid they won’t demo. So I’m turning...
  3. R

Helmet Study

This is a good point. After getting injured, people asked me “How did you get a concussion if you were wearing a helmet”? I had to remind them that the brain essentially floats in a pool of fluid inside a hard casing. With enough impact, the brain smacks into the casing, and nothing on the...
  4. R

Buying Boots Online

I found it! The one situation in which buying ski boots online is acceptable. In June, I bought a new, stiffer pair of Salomon X Max boots I had been dreaming about for at least a year. I skied in them in December and the first part of January and couldn’t believe what a difference they made...
  5. R

Diamond Trail difficulty at Whiteface & Okemo

You can c You can cut into the bottom half of Essex from Excelsior - when you come around that first sharp bend just off the gondola, if you keep going across the traverse instead of dropping down to the left it puts you about halfway down Essex.
  6. R

Diamond Trail difficulty at Whiteface & Okemo

We tend to ski Whiteface in late December, when the mountain isn’t fully open. But a good progression would be to start with Victoria and/or Parrons Run. Both challenging blues, and each are really fun in their own way, and a good way to test if you are ready for Whiteface blacks. Then head...
  7. R

Helmet Study

I’m NOT a statistician and this is the first thing that jumped out at me. Studies usually look at narrow questions. Perhaps all the data together suggests that helmets prevent serious injury in many cases but when the impact becomes hard enough, though they prevent some types of injury they...
  8. R

First Indoor Ski Slope in America Set to Open This Fall

I’m having a hard time with this indoor ski thing. Skiing is not just about whizzing down a hill, though of course it includes that. It’s the bitter cold, the quiet on the chairlift, the warmth of coming inside, the double-clop ski boots make in the lodge, the feeling of being so far away...
  9. R

Snow’s-a-Comin’!!!!

This is the best weather report I’ve ever read. It’s totally my ski strategy. Get to the mountain early, ski the main face and fast lifts before the crowds appear and then run laps on the out of the way fixed grips during the warmest, least icy part of the day. Those out of the way trails are...
  10. R

Snow’s-a-Comin’!!!!

My weather app says the same about NY. Fingers crossed is right!
  11. R

Snow’s-a-Comin’!!!!

It has been a lackluster snow season thus far in NY but I just got a message from our Airbnb homeowner saying that a big storm is coming to Gore this Saturday! Woot woot!!! Just had to share with some gals that get it. That is all.
  12. R

Back after 30 years!

Welcome baaaaaaack!!!!
  13. R

You Said Better Boots Would Make a Difference

And you were TOTALLY right. I bit the bullet (and the price tag), got myself a pair of stiffer boots at last year’s end of season sales, and took them on their inaugural runs over Christmas week. My goodness, what a difference they made! They were responsive enough that I no longer had to...
  14. R

Do boot gloves work?

I love my boot gloves. They keep my feet so much drier than without, and dry feet equal warm feet. Yesterday I skied all day with my son, so same conditions. His liners and the inside of his boot shell were soaking. My liners were slightly damp and the shell was bone dry.
  15. R

Whiteface Conditions

Here at Whiteface now and they are handling it well. They’ve strategically opened different parts of the mountain and the guns are going full blast to get more opened. So far the Summit hasn’t been opened but the guns have been going for two days on Parrons Run, so I’m crossing my fingers!
  16. R

Whiteface Conditions

Oh nooooo. Is that completely unrelated to the fire? They’ve had a rough couple of months.
  17. R

Whiteface Conditions

Does anyone know what’s happening at Whiteface? For a while now, the daily conditions report has said that only 30% of the mountain is open. Yet that same report says they’ve had 12 inches in the last 7 days and are blowing snow on a number of closed trails. Is it possible they’re just...
  18. R

Obsessing Over Long-Range Forecasts

Rationally, I know this is true. Emotionally, skiing is my favorite activity in the whole wide world (which I somehow managed not to do for more years than I care to count) and I just. Cannot. Help. Myself.
  19. R

Catskills NY 2019-20

This will be our third consecutive year skiing all three ORDA mountains. I adore Gore. Yes, it requires a lot of hiking here and there, but the terrain is so varied, and it has pockets that are breathtakingly beautiful, especially the old hand cut trails.
  20. R

Catskills NY 2019-20

I’m so glad to see this. Those two double lifts were SO. SLOW. And because they were beginner lifts, they were constantly being stopped. To get to mid-mountain from the base, it was faster to take the gondola to the top — lines and all — and ski down to than take one of those lifts.