• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. SallyCat

Podcast Recommendations

“Normal Gossip” is a lot of fun. Really well produced. “Rumble Strip” is a quirky Vermont podcast; the Peabody-winning episode “Finn and the Bell” is beautiful and will break your heart. “You’re Wrong About” analyzes cultural reactions to people in recent history, especially women. It can be...
  2. SallyCat

Sizing down extra in boots

Ooo, I don't think I've ever even put my feet in a 25.5. 11 dress shoe, but in athletic shoes, men's 10.5. Altra running shoes have "standard" fit shoes that are narrower than their regular ones. Snug heel fit but also lots of forefoot room--I really like them.
  3. SallyCat

Sizing down extra in boots

From a super-narrow footed skier, just for general future reference for the narrow-heeled Divas out there: I measure 27.5 on the brannock measuring thingy. I had a bootfitter (in Allentown, PA) refuse to bring me a 26.5. I actually had to argue with him and he finally brought me a 26.5 but...
  4. SallyCat

Tire Chains? Do you have them for YOUR car/truck?

"Snow tires" to my understanding is a bit of an outdated term, largely replaced by "winter" tires. It's not just snow that's an issue in the winter, it's the cold temps hardening non-winter tires and reducing traction that makes them less safe. In your circumstances, I would absolutely have...
  5. SallyCat

Skateboards?

@RachelV NICE! Omg, that is a great looking skatepark and a gorgeous backdrop! I haven't been on my board much this summer; we've been having SO much rain in Vermont it's been really hard to get outside and do anything really. But I'm hopeful for a good fall and will post pics and/or hospital...
  6. SallyCat

How are all the Northeast Divas

I'm in West Windsor; we escaped unscathed. But the region between us and Ludlow/Okemo was very hard hit. Downtown Ludlow was absolutely devastated. The rain yesterday was unbelievable; I've never seen such sustained heavy, heavy rain for an entire day. It was out of the Old Testament. And you...
  7. SallyCat

Off-season/warm-weather/not-skiing activities

Just jumping in to say that if you live in an area that has dirt/gravel back roads, gravel biking is really fun and the risk of getting hit feels a lot lower, since the cars are going slow to begin with.
  8. SallyCat

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

Schitt's Creek. Hilarious and also very feel-good comedy. If you're sad that Ted Lasso is over, this is great series to binge. I think my top 3 shows that I just love to binge because they are really funny while being fundamentally decent and positive and lovely worlds to spend time in are...
  9. SallyCat

MTB or Gravel 2023

The Flow State MTB Fest at Ascutney is a great way to get to know the trails here, and it's a really fun festival. Big enough to have a great vibe, but small enough to be relaxing and low-key. Great music, too. GLOW (Glorious Ladies on Wheels) is a group of really fun and very, very talented...
  10. SallyCat

How are the Crowds at Killington?

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I just bought a Vermont resident/firefighter season pass at Magic for less than one-third of what a Killington pass would cost. I may end up getting a Killington spring pass, and I'll still come out ahead and hopefully beat the crowds a bit. I just need to get up...
  11. SallyCat

Roof Box Recommendation?

Good to know, and the yoga mat suggestion is great!
  12. SallyCat

Transporting skis and gear by car, how do you do it?

Padded ski bags are a very good idea for safety in case of an accident. Seriously. A cam strap around a cargo box might be extra security while driving? Twist the strap to keep it from making wind-noise, though, otherwise it'll sound like a Blackhawk helicopter is following you just above your...
  13. SallyCat

Anyone notice any new ski trends this season?

In the east anyway, and I'm not saying this to be glib, it's usually young guys, blue trails, and trees. The statistics are overwhelmingly that demographic and those trails.
  14. SallyCat

Skateboards?

Bringing back this awesome thread! Though with a twist: I'm learning to skateboard because I want to be a better snowboarder. And because cruising bowls looks HELLA fun and we have a cool skatepark nearby. I don't have illusions of a direct skill-transfer, it's just that bowl/transition...
  15. SallyCat

Roof Box Recommendation?

Yeah, that sort of thing (and that I live on the side of a mountain) are why I'm going with a Subie! Though I have to say, I've lived in Vermont for five years with front-wheel-drive. Aggressive, non-studded winter tires have been excellent in every condition except for the one time a couple of...
  16. SallyCat

Roof Box Recommendation?

I think Stratton is the only ski area I've ever been to that had a parking garage; never thought of that! I have roof mounts for my bikes and live in the land of covered bridges; so far I'm pretty good at clearance-awareness! :-)
  17. SallyCat

Roof Box Recommendation?

Does anyone have a ski-specific cargo box that they really like? I feel like a lot of reviews talk about flimsiness, inconvenience opening the box, and weak security. I'm willing to spend some money if it's worth it. It's hard to find reliable reviews; appreciate any feedback! (Looking at...
  18. SallyCat

How are the Crowds at Killington?

I've had Epic passes for the past few years, as I live equidistant from Okemo and Sunapee. I've barely skied at all this year, though, partly because of the weather but mostly because of the weekend crowds. I'm thinking of getting a Killington Beast 365 pass for next year. K is about 15 minutes...
  19. SallyCat

New John Irving Novel "The Last Chairlift"

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:
  20. SallyCat

You guys, I am so BAD at powder.

Lol, OMG! When I came back to skiing in 2006 or so, after last being on snow in the early eighties, I saw snowboards and snowboarders for the first time. The first time I came around a corner and saw a big group of boarders sitting and kneeling and sprawled all over the trail, my first thought...