• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Albertan ski girl

Question: How to ski (deep) powder?

When I took my multi-week lessons last season, 3 out if 4 days ended up being powder days. The biggest thing by instructor stressed was really the fundamentals of skiing, especially making nice long slow rounded turns. He emphasized the importance of staying in the fall line longer than you...
  2. Albertan ski girl

Would you wear this?

Ok - that down ball gown from barney's is ridiculous. BUT doesn't it look SO warm? I mean, if someone gave it to me, I would definitely take it. And I would wear it lots...at home! @alison wong - no, it is definitely not too childsh. I always scope out the kids' helmets at the hill!
  3. Albertan ski girl

Ski boots for wide calves

I'm sure there are some Massachusetts divas who can help out here, or some who may know of bootfitters nearby - @MissySki maybe? @marzNC doesn't live in MA, but is super knowledgeable about anything skiing related. Maybe some southern VT divas to? @SallyCat ?
  4. Albertan ski girl

Ski boots for wide calves

Hi @Sbono9599 - I have really wide calves, and I want to share my experience with you because I kjnow it can get very frustrating. The most important thing is, as @Jilly said - find a good bootfitter. First of all, where do you live? Likely someone on this forum will be able to direct you to a...
  5. Albertan ski girl

Alberta-Interior BC 2018/2019

Definitely - but mid-winter is amazing - especially Feb and March when there are rarely cold days.
  6. Albertan ski girl

Help Needed: Skis for my girls

Yup - we have adult boots on both kids for those. I'm not sure what your local Sport chek is like - but we've gotten a number of good boots there for the kids. We go this time of year, and they will have drastically reduced boots from last season. We just got DS his first pair of fitted boots...
  7. Albertan ski girl

The Smash and Sassy bindings are pre-mounted by Sundance. They are system bindings so they are adjustable for a growing kid, which was very interesting to us :) Both our DS (15 yrs old) and DD (13 now) ski the Smash. If the bindings are pre-mounted, it's easy for you to go to Sportchek and get...
  8. Albertan ski girl

Our 13 year old is in women's boots and skis. She skis a Rossi Smash 7, and her boots are Salomons - can't remember the name, but they have 80 flex. The Rossi Smash is perfect for Alberta - its fine on groomers, and can pretty much handle anything else. She went from junior skis (K2 Shreditor...
  9. Albertan ski girl

Alberta-Interior BC 2018/2019

Sunshine, Louise and Nakiska are all open. Sunshine looks to be the best conditions so far, and has quite a bit open for this time of year: Strawberry, Wawa, Banff Ave top to bottom, Jackrabbit and Wolverine. Angel and Divide are opening this week! The settled base is about 70-75 cm - so...
  10. Albertan ski girl

How gear brands pick colors

Gorgeous @Tvan !!!
  11. Albertan ski girl

Anyone planning on going to the North Face women's camps at Whistler this year?

K @kiki did you ever write a report about the camp? im thinking of maybe doing a 3-4 'just me' oriented getaway to Whistler this year, and am considering the camp. Any thoughts you'd want to share? Thanks!
  12. Albertan ski girl

Hostel Project

There are a lot of great hostels around the ski areas here. We often stay in hostels as a family because 4 of us is perfect for a 4 bed dorm, and we get to cook meals there too. Here's a list of ASG-certified comfortable hostels in the Canadian Rockies, listed by ski resort :) Lake Louise: 1)...
  13. Albertan ski girl

First snow!

And here's lake louise - it's that magical time when there's snow on the ground, but the lake hasn't frozen over yet!
  14. Albertan ski girl

First snow!

And here's Sunshine Village today! Settled base is already 70 cm.
  15. Albertan ski girl

First snow!

I'm late to this party - and so is my photo, but this was Calgary on October 1st :)
  16. Albertan ski girl

Montana 2018-19: Big Sky, Bridger, Whitefish, etc.

We dropped the ball on ski passes etc this year. So we've decided to do some short trips/visits to smaller ski areas in the northern rockies instead. We've got a plan to check out Snowbowl, Great Divide and Discovery - we may not hit up all of them, we may pick 1 or 2, and mix in some cross...
  17. Albertan ski girl

What would you tell your home mountain?

Lake Louise and Sunshine - I would tell them two things (one good, one bad) 1) I LOVE how everybody brings their own lunch, and their are plenty of seats and long tables, and microwaves, places to fill up your water bottles, and you don't mind it when we take the plastic cutlery anyway. Don't...
  18. Albertan ski girl

The top 9 ski resorts to visit on a budget

The accommodation rate for Lake Louise is accurate, if that is for one person that is sharing a room with another person. And that is the cost per person. You can definitely get rooms at the Lake Louise Inn and Mountaineer Lodge for about 150 to 200 Canadian a night for double occupancy. The...
  19. Albertan ski girl

Iceland?

I would still recommend Iceland :) There`s something magical about visiting a northern place in the winter. People are always happy and excited to see you, and it sure will be different. Plus you can hike on glaciers during the daylight, and then chase aurora after that! Sounds good to me :)...