• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

Most of our friends locally came because we had a kid. Since she moved away, many fell along the wayside and it takes more effort. If I didn't ski I'd go nuts. (Church is the glue for many in the area and I'd last an hour.) Living in the woods doesn't help either. When we lived back East it was...
  2. sibhusky

Ski areas not on any multi passes

We didn't do so good in the last survey and it was well-deserved.
  3. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

Another article about mental health in ski towns. https://dailymontanan.com/2024/03/10/living-the-paradise-paradox-the-resort-town-of-whitefish-seems-perfect-yet-its-citizens-still-suffer/
  4. sibhusky

Tell me about Alta?

You've timed it well. We got significantly more snow this past week. And the forecast shows more on the way. Supposedly our season to date snow is the highest in Montana, but hell that's marketing talking. The underlying condition is rock hard moguls but now there's about a foot of packed...
  5. sibhusky

Any recent Whitefish ski reports?

Skied today. Snow surface is improved but entirely too many people skipped drinking in the New Year and showed up today. Left at 11:30.
  6. sibhusky

Any recent Whitefish ski reports?

I haven't skied in a few days and won't until New Year's. But I was just on Reddit and it sounds pretty bad. https://www.reddit.com/r/whitefish/s/ONIPqhq2XD
  7. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

Wow! It was $4.19 in Sept., but now it's $3.29 here. I haven't seen $5 since July 2022 and it wasn't even that much ($4.84). Probably lower taxes here.
  8. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

That's a 13.5% increase over last year, but as our appraisal was up 61%, I'm not complaining. Our old townhouse in NJ the taxes are $6546. Here we've got 5 acres and double the square footage.
  9. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

I'll do annual because propane is delivered on an extremely irregular basis. Propane : $3100 (!) Electric: $821 Water: $0 (well) Sewer: $0 (septic tank) Trash: $251 Property Tax (upcoming): $5247 Parking: $0 Storage: $0 Homeowner's Insurance: $2860 Internet: $600
  10. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

Yes. I don't think those census stats should act as encouragement. Basically roughly 2% annually pre-covid, to 7% with covid. Basically almost no construction during lock down, then huge increases in lumber prices, and supply chain disruptions and the backlog in building will take 1-2 more years...
  11. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

I just looked at Census data. Between 2020 and 2022, the population of Whitefish increased 15%. In two years. Between 2010 and 2020 (ten years) it increased 21%. Hence the stress.
  12. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

I don't think so. For one thing, there weren't sufficient houses for them to move into, so they got on two year waiting lists for the builder, but supply chains are still a mess and that builder is a year behind. Also, the last two winters weren't very snowy. They can't sell their partially...
  13. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

One of the final three was eliminated when both my husband and my daughter told me that the builder and I would be at each other's throats the entire time. I didn't see it, but they were adamant.
  14. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

I talked to banks, architects, plumbing supply places and other builders. Then winnowed it down to 3, then finally one. Extremely successful experience. Unfortunately, the guy retired. But we're still happy 20 years later. I know another couple who picked their builder because he had a lot of...
  15. sibhusky

Shingrix vaccine

I donated for years without issue and just didn't watch, as I frequently wanted to pass out. Then one day I did and crackers weren't helping me either. They told me not to come anymore. My daughter has passed out, taking a hard full in a small room with furniture crammed in it. Bump on her...
  16. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

There's more and more new condos and apartments coming along here and in Kalispell. I see stuff all over being built. And maybe you can get a small house or condo in the $400k's here. And I see prices dropping, probably because of mortgage rates. But long term rentals are in a separate category.
  17. sibhusky

Shingrix vaccine

Here's a timely article. https://www.statnews.com/2023/10/25/adult-vaccines-flu-covid-tdap-complexity/ About how confusing all these vaccines are. Really, after my childhood, I mostly just worried about tetanus unless I was going someplace exotic. Then suddenly the last 15-20 years things...
  18. sibhusky

Shingrix vaccine

The flu shot was a big nothing this year for me. I think everyone reacts to the second shingles shot. That's what the Walgreens pharmacist told me.
  19. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

See post 352
  20. sibhusky

Affordable ski towns

Timely article https://www.businessinsider.com/leave-colorado-moving-to-midwest-affordable-housing-2023-10