• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. A

Waterproof pants... wet butt!

OK, I've got a pair of ski pants that are supposed to be waterproof. I distinctly recall it was waterproof when it was new (few years back). Then one day, I noticed my butt got wet from the melted snow on the chair... I tried washing it with the TechWash thing by following the instructions. It...
  2. A

Are women's specific skis necessary?

I don't see that as a problem. Either she finds her women specific skis she likes. Or she find them too short or too soft. If it's the latter, she'll be looking at the man's version of similar skis. Why would she not? Many of us found clothing in the men's or boy's section. Women specific...
  3. A

What gear made ski life easier this year and/or which was useless?

Hehe... one person's trash is another's treasure...:smile: I love them SkiTrax thingy! I just put them in the outside pocket of my hydration pack once I finished the walking part. (I've also tried the leaving them atop my boot, with reasonable success too. Except I only need the SkiTrax when...
  4. A

Ski area count.

I'm a tourist on skis. So my list was quite long back when this thread first started. It's been updated since, though not necessarily every year. That's my long winded way of making my excuse for not bothering to find my last update in order to add the new ones on... Most years, I visit a few...
  5. A

A tribute to pink skiing

I'm neither blonde nor brunette. :wink: Still, I like red more than blue, and it's much more upbeat than the universal black! So that's what I go to when there's no better choices
  6. A

A tribute to pink skiing

Pink is my favorite color. But I hadn't had much luck in scoring pink stuff that suits my functional requirements. So I ended up with a lot of purple, violet, and the boring red.
  7. A

Any technique tips/ things to know about switching to flat pedals?

My Mom, who incidentally only goes to the gym for exercise, has a perfect answer to that, which she heard from her best friend and repeats whenever she has the chance: "You can walk down the street and a neon sign may fall on your head. Better don't go out" (yes, one of her co-worker was...
  8. A

I do BOTH and had a few (knock on wood) minor injuries to show for it. But the much "safer" sport of road cycling? I had only came off my bike 4 times in my entire LIFE. That resulted in 3 ER visit, one dislocation, one broken bone, 3 surgeries so far! BTW, none of them involve cars!!! What...
  9. A

I too, had my first serious ankle sprain riding flats 2 years ago (my first year riding flats) I put my foot down. Only the spot where my foot landed had some fluffy leaves that makes it LOOK quite a bit higher than reality, plus some rocks under the leaves that started to move as soon as my...
  10. A

I think a lot of it is how comfortable one is with clipless in the first place. I've had my share of falling sideways from standing still, but it's relatively rare. Beside, it doesn't really hurt falling at that speed. (ok, bruises but I don't consider that "hurt") For the most part, I just...
  11. A

Not ready for the season to be over; withdrawals starting

I started biking when I tore my MCL skiing some years back! Since then, cycling had been far more important than skiing (there's a few years of gap here and there in my skiing, but none in cycling). I even felt sad in fall when I had to put the bike away some years. Though since I started...
  12. A

Not ready for the season to be over; withdrawals starting

A week ago, I had plan to ski till May so I wasn't sad at all. But by Wednesday this week, it's in the 70's and sunny, so was the forecast for the weekend. Our bike club is doing a "Tuch Tuneup" weekend that I just can't refuse, not with the kind of perfect riding forecast. So I dragged my bike...
  13. A

If we could get 200 people together.....

I went to a couple of the Epic Gathering in recent years. It got to be so big I didn't even get to MEET all the people, never mind getting to know them. Created our own lift lines, endless waiting at the unloading area and then a big crowd zooming down the runs... Epic East gathering was much...
  14. A

There's a great deal of pseudo-science in that article. I wonder when we'll see racers riding flat pedals en mass?! I now ride flats off-road, and clipless on the road. Efficiency definitely suffers with flats. But the trade-off is worth it on technical trails. So it's a compromise I'm happy to...
  15. A

Motivations for becoming a ski instructor

I became an instructor recently (2nd season). My motivation has more to do with teaching than with skiing. And it's mostly just a hobby for me. To the cringe of the professionals, I'm one of those "hobby instructors" who had no intention of turning it into a make-a-living profession. That...
  16. A

The thrill of steeps and cornices

in that case, learning how to land nicely and softly would go a long way to help the confidence level. I started out in the 'crash and burn' (ok, more trial and error) camp. while enjoyed the air time, that enjoyment was often mixed with a bit of real fear that I might land wrong and get hurt...
  17. A

The end of 'shrink it and pink it'

Hahaha! I used to do just that! My thinking was more like "if he can SURVIVE it, so can I". And I would do it just to prove I can. It's a different mindset. I used to believe I must "manage" whatever terrain I find myself on top of. What are my choices anyway but to go down it? It took...
  18. A

The thrill of steeps and cornices

You know what they say, air doesn't hurt, it's the landing that might. Perhaps a park lesson? To learn to land softly? That said, if you don't get the thrill of the air time, I wouldn't bother pushing it. It becomes risk without the reward. For example, I get the thrill of the air time. So...
  19. A

Good guidelines to build a quiver?

I think that's where we misunderstood each other. Northeast "powder" aren't really powdery, not most of the time anyway. Most of those are wet cement type of snow. Wide baord helps but not soft "powder" board for those conditions. Those true powder days may happen at MOST 2--3 time a season...
  20. A

screen names, does it matter?

I had the oopposite experience. Contacting a forum member by her screen name which is a proper name... Her reply? You might have guessed: "BTW, my name is ... instead " Oops:redface: