• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. altagirl

I won the Southwest "Solarbration" Sweepstakes!

Yeah seriously, what a pain!
  2. altagirl

Yes. But inexplicably all my worst airline experiences (getting stranded at airports, redirected flights, ticketing issues, etc.) have all been on Delta. DH is a platinum Delta guy so when we travel together that is what it is.
  3. altagirl

I don't fly much at all these days but honestly I've had better experiences on Southwest than most airlines. Set an alarm to check in for your flight and usually the boarding group isn't too bad. I honestly get way more annoyed with companies wanting me to pay for a(ny) seat selection. So...
  4. altagirl

South America photo tour

Amazing! Can't wait to see more!
  5. altagirl

Is skiing as expensive as we think?

Yeah, we do NOT have that density of tiny ski areas here in Utah. And before the mega-passes a lot of the now expensive resorts here were considered inexpensive and uncrowded. Not anymore - things change fast. I do understand that if you're driving by a bunch of tiny and less expensive...
  6. altagirl

Encouraging Women Back to Skiing

I agree that I think the key is to make sure people know the value of starting with lessons and appropriate clothing and how to deal with friends/boyfriends/husbands who want to drag you down advanced slopes, etc... Share your joy, maybe it's contagious! That said, one thing that comes to...
  7. altagirl

Skiing plateaus and (dys)functional patterns of movement

Yeah, I found a few yoga teachers who get it and teach strength in the poses from an anatomical background and keep an eye out for overstretching, but it's hard to find, in my experience, and my favorite one moved out of state. I can easily overdo stretching my hips and shoulders in...
  8. altagirl

Skiing plateaus and (dys)functional patterns of movement

I'm fairly hypermobile too, though it becomes....complicated as I age. I'm hypermobile in the undamaged joints, for the most part, and other areas seem to have overcompensated for that hypermobility with arthritis and scar tissue. And I realized during the pandemic that as much as I love...
  9. altagirl

Sizing down extra in boots

Let's try to take a step back. We can have our own strong opinions on boot fitting. I get it - Rachel, it sounds like you've got a combination of feet that can tolerate stock boots and the time and determination to save money as your top priority. It's great that's working for you. It...
  10. altagirl

I mean, that's the thing. Back in the day, I tried buying boots because the literature and reviews said they sounded right for me. They were intolerable, and it was a total waste of money, and ski days finding out how terrible they were. It wasn't possible to modify them to work for me, as...
  11. altagirl

Agreed - being able to select boots based on, well, anything other than a bootfitter telling me "there are 2 models in existence that are even vaguely suited for you and that we will be able to modify enough to make them work for your triangle shaped feet" sounds like some fantasy version of...
  12. altagirl

Woman Thought to be Missing Was Stuck in a Gondola Overnight!

Also, take lots of pics! You could have the first record of a wolf sighting in Utah on iNaturalist!
  13. altagirl

I was also thinking wait, that's a REALLY ridiculous plotline, I mean how would that even be feasible. Unless they jumped off the lift? But then you're not on the lift? I can't say I'd even think to be scared of wolves on the ground - you know - you stay on the lift an unless they are...
  14. altagirl

Alone. LOL, depending on who you were on the lift with, I'm not sure if that's better or worse.... A safety whistle is useful for any number of reasons though!
  15. altagirl

This is waaay over a decade ago now, but we know someone with a lifetime pass to a resort because they left him stranded on a lift overnight. It was during summer operations for bike season, luckily, but on a regular chair, not a gondola. I can't imagine!
  16. altagirl

Skiing's Gender Gap Widens with Age

I know when I decided to take adult beginner ballet classes at ~40, the program was primarily ballet moms, which I thought made a lot of sense. I think I was one of two non parents. And it seems like something they should offer with kids programs. Not that there is anything wrong with...
  17. altagirl

No ACL, no surgery, no problem - My new normal as a Coper

I had my ACL with a hamstring graft done.... 23 years ago I think? And I notice every time I work single leg hamstring exercises (several times a week) that the one the hamstring was taken from is noticeably weaker. I had gotten them back to even in rehab and then tire the other ACL...
  18. altagirl

I forgot to include learning guitar and golf, LOL! But I know what you mean. I made it something of a conscious decision to make sure I don't lose my willingness to be a beginner. I was in a yoga teacher training and discussing why my hobbies at the time were all focused on adrenaline...
  19. altagirl

I make it a regular habit to learn new activities. I think making a practice of being a beginner at something is good for me overall (body and mind). Sometimes it's with sports (I've taken beginner ballet classes, did a curling league for a few years, speed skated for a few years, have...
  20. altagirl

For me the biggest deterrent is traffic and crowds. I'm not old enough to retire and ski mid week and weekend skiing requires way more time sitting in traffic than skiing in recent years. I'm just not willing to do that. So I'm down to days I can take vacation to ski at my home mountain...