• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Skisailor

Frustrated: upper/lower body separation

Sounds good. On the longer radius turns, the shoulders face the ski tips more but also, remember to lower the outside/downhill shoulder as the turn develops. Stand on that outside ski and that will flatten it more and provide more speed control. Have fun.
  2. Skisailor

Agree with @liquidfeet ‘s description of the turns in that video. IMHO - those are not the turns you should be trying to emulate right now however. You need a flatter ski pivoty turn so you can slow things down at first. Can’t remember if you said - have you learned/practiced any...
  3. Skisailor

I did wonder - it’s the second time you have mentioned “wide turns” so I want to check back in on that. The speed control comes from getting your skis to point across the hill by turning your legs. As soon as you manage that you will slow down. You do not need to actually travel across the...
  4. Skisailor

Um. Yes. What she said. :):)
  5. Skisailor

It is not any harder to separate at slow speeds. Those video guys are going fast because they are not skiing short RADIUS turns (i.e not finishing their turns with skis more across across the hill). They are skiing cut off arcs which have a LONG radius at a fast frequency. Hence they are...
  6. Skisailor

How much “counter” or separation you use is not a fixed amount and is absolutely related to turn size! You should not have the same amount of separation in every single turn. It moderates as turn size gets larger. When skiing short radius turns directly down the fall line, then...
  7. Skisailor

Standing still...

. . . . or a wedge under the forefoot (a gas pedal). This is something you could experiment with in front of the mirror. (Try putting small wedges under you boot heels, then under the front of your boots and see which one feels better and how it looks in the mirror). IMHO, a "gas pedal"...
  8. Skisailor

Standing still...

Great pics. It just looks like you have too much knee bend (relative to ankle flex) - see how far back your hips are? That’s like a mini partial wall squat. I know I wouldn’t last half a run in that position without thigh burn. Stand taller in your legs - by bending your knees less...
  9. Skisailor

Standing still...

Leaning on the tongue with an upright torso is precisely the problem. We shouldn’t lean on the equipment. Stand on your feet and back your shin off a bit. Then bring shoulders forward a bit. People ARE always standing up on cat tracks. AND standing up when they ski downhill as well...
  10. Skisailor

Standing still...

Anyone would have thigh burn with that stance. Bring your shoulders forward so that your spine is parallel to the angle of your shins. You will feel your quads relax. That’s how you should ski. Also - those boots have more significant forward lean than many recreational boots. In...
  11. Skisailor

Big Sky, MT 2/17-2/21

Thanks so much for doing a trip report. I'm really glad you enjoyed this amazing mountain and I hope you'll be back. I've been skiing here for 12 years and teaching here for 7 years and I STILL find new little nooks and crannies every year. There is just SO much terrain. It's almost...
  12. Skisailor

Standing still...

The “always want to wedge” thing sounds like it’s possible that you pronate. That is - your feet collapse to the inside when you flex forward. That would put both skis on their inside edges even when you are just trying to go straight. It’s very common and a good bootfitter can fix this...
  13. Skisailor

Ski pole length question

Depends what kind of terrain you ski. I would never use adjustable poles in consequential terrain.
  14. Skisailor

Highlands Bowl

At big sky, the no fall zones Tend to be at recognized fixed locations. We use another phrase, “slide for life”, to indicate conditions where the snow is firm enough that it will be difficult to accomplish a self arrest.
  15. Skisailor

Highlands Bowl

A no fall zone does not really refer specifically to the steepness of the run you are skiing but more to what is below you. If there are cliffs or rock bands below the area you are skiing - that is a no fall zone. Yes, it may infer a certain amount of steepness where you might slide after a...
  16. Skisailor

Wyoming & Montana 2019-20: Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Red Lodge, etc.

We don’t have many of the kinds of trees that create tree wells. So it’s not a big concern at Big Sky at all. That said, I would let them know you should always have a buddy when skiing in the trees and keep your buddy in sight.
  17. Skisailor

Ski pole length question

I’m 5’2” and ski with 41” poles. There are lots of ways to ski bumps. :) I don’t ever feel that I am “reaching” for any pole touch - especially in bumps. It’s very quiet. Hands and arms should stay put. But I know that some bump instructors advocate a different kind of pole touch...
  18. Skisailor

Ski pole length question

How tall are you? Can you do a pole touch - swing it through - without it affecting your hand position ?
  19. Skisailor

Wyoming & Montana 2019-20: Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Red Lodge, etc.

The easiest blacks: For the most part, if it’s black, it’s ungroomed. In fact some trails are rated black that are actually a blue pitch but they get their black designation because they have trees and/or bumps. There is one black trail that is often groomed - Elkhorn (on the Moonlight...