• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. freckles

Leki trigger poles

love them! just remember to swap straps when you change mitts
  2. freckles

Night skiing

I love night skiing -- I patrol at night, after work. Skiing under the moon and stars... This was NYE 2020
  3. freckles

Lunchtime during COVID?

we are planning parking lot picnics (and parking lot bootups) with fold up chairs, a blanket over the bumper / liftgate, coolers, etc. I know a couple of the hills we frequent have the taco trucks, waffle houses and outdoor seating.
  4. freckles

Does the way women dress mean we're taken less seriously as skiers?

OMG, +1 for the ASTIS mitts! I saved and splurged -- so glad I did! They're warm and awesome!
  5. freckles

Question: Any Nat'l Ski Patrol members out there?

I'm a volunteer patroller at a small ski hill in SE Michigan. Our patrol is about 30% women. We see our share of injuries from the high school teams, racing and boarder cross. I patrol at night, after work. I'm the only woman on one of the nights, and one of two on the other. I was a bit...
  6. freckles

I feel sooo silly!

The adage is, "You marry your boots, you date your skis" Your boots are as tight as they will ever be right now. They will pack out as you wear them and ski in them. Rental boots and used boots are already packed out, so your foot will feel loose for good reason in them.
  7. freckles

Ski slang.

I don't think Jerry is offensive. I think Jerrys know they are Jerrys just by the passion in which they get sendy… my opinion of course
  8. freckles

Ski slang.

Jerry = Gaper
  9. freckles

For married or engaged divas, do you wear your rings when you’re skiing or riding?

They may have to cut off pants, too, if you injure your knee or leg, but that's not a reason not to wear pants.... (or is it?)
  10. freckles

Side Slipping, a skill for all ability levels

It's an exercise in realizing and releasing the edges on your skis. Check out "falling leaf" tutorials on YouTube as well. Practice when the hill is quiet, not on a crazy weekend afternoon. Side slipping and edge release exercises were one of those "light bulb" moments for me that tied skiing...
  11. freckles

Wearing make-up when skiing

lol, our first ski trip with my son's girlfriend... we all came down to breakfast and she surveyed the scene, not knowing what to expect... I had a bit of mascara and brow pencil, but what got her was the fact I had my jewelry. I had my great-grandmother's diamond ring (she was a badass) and my...
  12. freckles

Plus-sized ski gear

As mentioned above, check out Obermeyer, The North Face and Columbia for ski pants. They have extended sizes in different lengths, and some have customizable waists with Velcro/elastic. I've had good luck with TNF men's XL short ski pants (sooooo many pockets!).
  13. freckles

First trip out west!

I'm not a World Cup racer -- I just use their back pack: https://www.rossignol.com/us/rossignol-hero-boot-pack-boot-bags-tech-equipment-rkhb101-0000tu-2018-2019.html -I used this bag as my carry on with boots inside and helmet on top. For day trips, my boots go on the outside and gear goes...
  14. freckles

Skiing after hip replacement?

I patrol with a man who's had his hip replaced. Granted, we are at a smaller hill, but he's doing great. Last winter, as he was rehabbing, he pretty much patrolled on foot, checking out the magic carpet and bunny hill. He's back to "normal" this year, skiing with everyone else. Good luck and...
  15. freckles

Black Pearl 88 or 78 or something totally different?

Welcome! I'm in Michigan -- my home hill is Alpine Valley in White Lake. The ski shop there has demos. Any of the hills up north would let you demo for a fee then apply that to your purchase. Regardless, I'd recommend the Volkl Yumi & Kenja, K2 ToughLuv & Alluvit 88, Blizzard BP 88, Nordica...
  16. freckles

Head v-shape v8 vs super joy

I demoed both in 163 and loved them both. Neither ski has metal (they use Graphene for stiffness), and both are 75 underfoot, so they are nimble and flexy when carving. I found the Super Joy to be a touch more skiddy in the ice, but for a front-side groomer, they are both great skis and similar.
  17. freckles

Anyone here in the midwest?

I didn't notice Ikon passes, but I wasn't looking for them either. I know some Boyne regulars who also take trips out west were interested in the Ikon pass. Did you take the chairlift to the top when you visited? I was there a couple times and saw the chapel at the top and various lookouts...
  18. freckles

Anyone here in the midwest?

We just returned from a trip to Northern Michigan. Skied Boyne Mountain, Nubs Nob and Boyne Highlands. We had excellent conditions and a great time. Both Boynes have high speed lifts. Nubs does not, but it does have nice terrain (I think it's easier for people to find their way around...
  19. freckles

How to let go of the fear?

Some tips that helped me: - get into an athletic stance (knees bent, feet shoulder width apart). You're more stable - get onto some skis that make you feel confident (good carvers, nothing super long) - ski with fun, fast people. For me, it was my kids who were on the ski team. I learned a...
  20. freckles

Black Pearl 88 or Experience 88/84 for Heavier Skier

Mine are 158s They are flexible enough to set an edge in the ice and hardpack. Not ideal conditions, but I feel confident.