• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. pinto

Affordable ski towns

Isn’t that interesting? It’s all about the wind. The worst and closest fires blow away from me.
  2. pinto

Affordable ski towns

And no, you cannot escape smoke anywhere anymore. This is the best summer I have had recently, but it was the worst for more places around the US. It just IS now. Oh, I forgot to mention Salida/Poncha Springs/Buena Vista in CO, near Monarch. Don’t know about schools, and affordability is...
  3. pinto

Affordable ski towns

Has anyone mentioned Wyoming? Laramie has Snowy Range, and it’s a college town, which can ameliorate some of the disadvantages of small Western towns, IYKWIM. No state income tax, very affordable housing. You can split off to Steamboat or JH or Utah when you want a bigger hill. But that’s all I...
  4. pinto

Are women judged by a different standard?

I don't think it's necessarily a gender thing ... you just don't see blowouts like that in the men's World Cup these days, there's too much parity (and thankfully so much more parity in the women's version, too, than there used to be!). But comparing a once-every-four-years WORLD championship...
  5. pinto

Need help - Ideas for repurposing a big-@$$ tv stand

I have seen them repurposed as bars and home offices. What about ski gear storage? not skis, but helmets hats boots etc. I had an old cabinet with glass doors on top and drawers on bottom (not a tv armoire, but close) that I used for storing handbags. Crafts? What is overflowing in the house?
  6. pinto

Shiffrin gets it

I read this on her twitter feed this morning: "As many of you know, last summer I made the Maxim Hot 100 list. In the photo, I was wearing my jacket and my Olympic medals from PyeongChang...listed among a group of women wearing bikinis.... It was a conscious decision for me to show that - as a...
  7. pinto

Avalanche at TSV!!!!!

I merely agree with @Belgiangirl that "...its the fastest way on mountain to be found" is just not correct. Patrollers do beacon searches first, in pretty much every scenario I have heard of. And there is an entire section in the link above talking about how to mitigate against "distracting"...
  8. pinto

Avalanche at TSV!!!!!

And how will it work correctly when everyone else on the mountain also has RECCO? With beacons, you turn them to search rather than transmit when there is a slide; you can't do it with RECCO. This is why they are commonly known as body recovery tools.
  9. pinto

Ode to a Departed Travel Bag

It's a little more than 9 lb for 120L. I had an old eBags Mother Lode, 29", that was a splitter, and it worked really well, too, but the handle was bent (got run over in the driveway) and it weighed about 14 lb. I could use those extra 4 or 5 lb for luggage, what with the weight restrictions...
  10. pinto

Ode to a Departed Travel Bag

I bought this last year and have absolutely loved it. It has traveled to three other continents in the past year, and handled everything with aplomb. The wheels and grab handle are awesome, and I love the other little touches as well (three grab handles, metal loadlocker buckles on compression...
  11. pinto

Unsolicited Venting

Light bulb moment here.
  12. pinto

Unsolicited Venting

Yeah, I do find it interesting that there is a definite divide around here (this isn't the first time) that some people are really conscious of marketing and advertising and others just ... aren't. Obviously advertising is a huge business and it works, or people wouldn't spend the money on it...
  13. pinto

Unsolicited Venting

These are good points made in a reasonable manner, although I didn't read his reply in exactly the same way you did. It seems to me that some awareness wasn't there at first but is growing; it's difficult to be all things to all people, especially as a young person and company. (I love that...
  14. pinto

Unsolicited Venting

This thread probably portrays perfectly exactly why the poor kid not even out of college yet wanted to avoid women. We are a pain in the ass! (Yes, in the end we are worth it...) It's too much! It's too little! You won't listen! Ok you listened, but I don't like what you say! back and forth, a...
  15. pinto

How are you addressed by your children's friends (18+)?

For sure. My mil was quite a bit older than my own mother, which made it a little weirder. And I met her when I was 22? 23? Not very old. I just avoided calling her anything for a long time, then finally was able to use her first name. Great lady, RIP.
  16. pinto

Oh, and I didn't even answer the actual question: yes, since they became old enough for college, I just introduce myself by first name. That doesn't seem so tough. Some of the ones I've known since they were little still call me Mrs but not all. Old habits die hard! I have a good friend who must...
  17. pinto

Fascinating conversation. I agree that there are many regional differences ... we have mostly lived in the casual West, but the kids were born in Virginia -- my family hails from the South, but dad's family hailed from New England. We did the Miss ----- thing when they were very young, and then...
  18. pinto

Ski Shells for Tall Women

Climbing brands are great for long arms (the reach thing). OR was good but I noticed that they advertised changing their cut this season. Flylow used to be too boxy but I think they changed a lot. Euro brands are usually good. Norrona! The last shell I bought, though, was a guy's ... not...
  19. pinto

What did you replace your old Auras with?

Which skis did you hate?
  20. pinto

Playful but stable 90-something mm ski?

Take a look at Kastle FX85 (on sale at STP btw) and Armada Victa 87 Ti (even better sale on evo). Not quite 90s, but I think you would like them for what you're looking for. (Also agree with the Sheeva recommendation!)