• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you doing to stay in shape?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Aquacize class 2-4 times per week depending on my travel schedule. 2 of the 4 weekly classes I attend are deep water classes and are INTENSE. I also bike to work a few days each month, if I don't have errands to run after and if weather cooperates.

Still having problems with my dumb foot with the PF, so I haven't been walking as much as I'd like.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've given up alcohol! Found myself getting a little bit too keen on it, and getting through a litre of vodka in very little time was happening way too often.

Five weeks sober and feeling good. Ski pants fitting a tiny bit looser too.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Eera Good for you!
For me, I don't have an issue with the volume of alcohol I drink but rather, when I drink, I tend to eat more - like, I usually only drink when it's paired with meals/snacks. (Esp beer and salty snacks.) Plus, of course beer has carbs/calories, so limiting the days I have a beer with a sandwich or tacos or a bowl of pistachios etc. is important for me.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Eera Good for you!
For me, I don't have an issue with the volume of alcohol I drink but rather, when I drink, I tend to eat more - like, I usually only drink when it's paired with meals/snacks. (Esp beer and salty snacks.) Plus, of course beer has carbs/calories, so limiting the days I have a beer with a sandwich or tacos or a bowl of pistachios etc. is important for me.
That's awesome, and sounds like you have a healthy control. It's the opposite for me: I drank to get that headspin and would deliberately miss meals in order to get drunk faster. I've realised how destructive that is, and how I was beginning to crave that feeling: acknowledging that I was starting to get addicted was a bit of a reality slap.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Eera, that is just brilliant!!! It's so good to recognise and have the strength and self control to act. I admit I enjoy a couple of wines most nights far too much.

In terms of fitness, as Eera would also know, much of eastern Australia has had the wettest 6 months on record. It's been sheer misery, floods all over the place, no real summer, and while we get a few days break here and there, the long term forecast into winter indicates no huge relief. Luckily at this time of the year, up on high mountains with colder temps, rain often turns into white fluffy stuff we'd much prefer to have to deal with, instead.

In terms of fitness, I've been a runner for many years. Recognising back in January that the wet was going to last for months, I invested in a good treadmill. I only use it a couple of times a week, but I run 9kms at present (vague goal to get back to 10), and my favourite jeans have gone back from a little tighter than wanted, to just right. The running also keeps me flexible - the older I get, if I don't keep on the move, I'm going to end up as stiff and inflexible as a ski my age would be. Or maybe I'll just get brittle and snap!

shadoj

Angel Diva
My summer job is gardening, so I don't really get an option to not stay in shape. Moving constantly. I'm tired a lot! One of these days I'll have to see how many steps I take in a day. Possibly miles worth. The good thing is that I can change positions frequently, balance a lot of tasks between left/right side, and use full-body core muscles. Gets the heart rate up, too, when things get crazy-last-minute-busy with big orders!

Mostly, I need to remember to stretch more, and not overdo things on my days off (I like to hike & tend to my own garden). That, and more epsom salt soaks for the hands and feet. So relaxing!

I'll have to find a pool/lake when the weather's warmer. Don't really like swimming, but water-walking and gentle aerobics are awesome for my joints.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My summer job is gardening, so I don't really get an option to not stay in shape. Moving constantly. I'm tired a lot! One of these days I'll have to see how many steps I take in a day. Possibly miles worth. The good thing is that I can change positions frequently, balance a lot of tasks between left/right side, and use full-body core muscles. Gets the heart rate up, too, when things get crazy-last-minute-busy with big orders!

Mostly, I need to remember to stretch more, and not overdo things on my days off (I like to hike & tend to my own garden). That, and more epsom salt soaks for the hands and feet. So relaxing!

I'll have to find a pool/lake when the weather's warmer. Don't really like swimming, but water-walking and gentle aerobics are awesome for my joints.
I'll probably just try to get back into stretching and doing the simple 7-exercise Pilates routine for the summer months. Haven't done much deliberate stretching since last fall.

I'm spending a lot of time doing yard work. Started doing more in 2020 and have continued to stay interested. Also volunteering at a local woodland garden once a week.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Aquacize class 2-4 times per week depending on my travel schedule. 2 of the 4 weekly classes I attend are deep water classes and are INTENSE. I also bike to work a few days each month, if I don't have errands to run after and if weather cooperates.

Still having problems with my dumb foot with the PF, so I haven't been walking as much as I'd like.
Ugh PF stinks! I can't get rid of mine... thinking seriously about EPAT (extracorporeal pulse activation). Having needling next week.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been such a sloth!!!

I was in Boston all last week for a company fly in (since around 50% of our company is now located outside of MA), and my CEO held a workout class at 7am one morning. I'd say it was a mashup of yoga, strength training, and cardio.. and I was sore as heck the next day! lol I almost didn't go because I wanted to sleep, but I decided I had to because how often does one get to workout with their CEO?? Despite the soreness later, I actually enjoyed it a lot and it really energized me for the day and reminded me that I need to get back to it!

So this week I was inspired to start back up with my peloton classes, and have enjoyed it a lot again. I've started with yoga, core, and upper/lower strength classes each day.. oh and stretching of course, I really love stretching. I haven't gotten back onboard with the cardio on my bike, but that's just because it is so darn hot and the room my Peloton is in doesn't have an air conditioner installed currently.. so I've been working out in another area. Fans only do so much with hot stagnant air.. Hopefully this heat wave we've been having breaks soon. Oh and rain would be good too.. My town in MA just enacted a water ban for non-essential outside water usage due to drought. We have had partial bans where you can't use water outside except early morning and after 5pm etc., but haven't had a full ban enacted since I've been here.

Last edited:

Amie H

Angel Diva

The past few weeks I've changed up my routine. Now, I go to every aquacize class I can fit in my schedule including one called "deep water running" which is exactly what it sounds like. That means I now get up at 6am and am at the pool by 6:30ish M-F. Plus a Sat AM class, and once a week shallow class that's about stretching, balance, and joint use.

I usually shower at the pool after class but we are at an oudoor facility this month while the indoor pool center is having maintenance work done, and the locker rooms aren't very appealling, so I just wrap up in a terry robe after class and shower at home.

I don't think I've ridden my bike much since my accident. *Maybe* tomorrow but we shall see.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One short hike a week and some barely physical construction work. Sept 1st work slows down and this body has a lot of slacking to reverse before a big season on the hill. Miss my carefree days of classes and all day adventures.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Right now:
- spin and strength
- hiking
- mountain biking
- yoga ( less these days but I do yoga year round)

what I’d like to do more of but I do some of:
- road running
- trail running
- road / gravel biking distances and climbs

I have been doing trail races so that gets me going. The hiking I’ve been incorporating some running when it’s flat enough. I would like to go up for 2000 ft elevation gain without stopping. Right now, I’ve been resting and my best time ascending is 1.5 hours or just under. Which I’ve been doing consistently and is good but I’d like to be quicker…..!

for uphill skiing, My best time was 1700 ft elevation gain in 50 min. I’d like to do 2000 ft in an hour and that is not too hard or taxing. So fitness would have to be pretty great for that to happen

Maybe if I do some walking weighted lunges, that would be good training? I’ve trained for uphill skiing like that and it was pretty good!

I used to do 5x5 weighted squats anywhere from 80lbs to 120 lbs. that was back when I went to the gym before the office! Remote working now and I haven’t really used a gym since before Covid. I do want to get back to strength training. We’ll see.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@MissySki the reason I do so much spin is it’s because it’s in an indoor air conditioned space and we have fans on us if we want! Strength too after spin!

@Amie H i just listened to an amazing podcast on the benefits of water workouts and swimming on the human body (and terrestrial animals generally speaking). Makes me think I should get in the water more! Both my spouse and kid are like fish. I should try it more often.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not much and not enough, but I was able to find a local gym that offers adult gymnastics and I LOVE IT THERE. Great people, great feedback. Was thrilled to find this since my Y cancelled adult gymnastics due to the pandemic. Hoping they add a Sunday evening class, as well. Currently, I'm just attending the one class a week.

I do love swimming and water, and while I think I'm a fairly good swimmer, I never did swim racing as a kid, so I don't generally go to swim laps b/c I'm sure the few strokes I can do have a lot of inefficiencies and technical issues to them. But I keep thinking that's another activity I might enjoy, although it won't get me any weight bearing.

ETA: I've also thought of trying to get out to do more hiking and maybe trail running. I hate running, but I love nature and the woods, and I figure not running on a track or around the neighborhood might be more to my liking.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What I'm doing today is NOTHING!! Heat index of 101 has me staying inside. Hope my boat remembers me this week!

I did get some miles in yesterday before it hit 80 (actual degrees). This morning I woke up at 5 am, looked at the progress a friend was making on the Pan Mass Challenge (for cancer) and went back to sleep until 8! Already HOT out.

I got an inflatable paddle board this week but until it's under 90, I'm not ready. Learning something new is always a workout.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna