• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lift Conversations?

Tennessee

Angel Diva
@skibum4ever I love it! That chat would have warmed my heart for sure. Living alone and socially distancing has made me yearn for good conversations and my ski lift chats sure help! If you ski alone and are well masked or vaccinated, and can find other singles, it can sure help brighten the day!

Last edited by a moderator:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@skibum4ever I love it! That chat would have warmed my heart for sure. Living alone and socially distancing has made me yearn for good conversations and my ski lift chats sure help! If you ski alone and are well masked or vaccinated, and can find other singles, it can sure help brighten the day!
I spent a few days skiing solo last week. I did a day trip to WV from Massanutten. One advantage of the new 6-pack at Timberline is that it's quite possible to ride up with a stranger without feeling uncomfortable. Since there are gates to space people out as they load, it's easy to double check that the other person is okay with sharing beforehand. Plus it's a detachable lift and only takes 4.5 minutes to reach the top.

Had a couple of good conversations on a warm afternoon last Tuesday. One man had driven 6 hours from Ohio. He skis at Perfect North, so has experience with how well the Perfect family runs that ski area. Another man had driven 3 hours from NoVA. He normally only skis at Snowshoe but it was clear that with all the improvements at Timberline, he'll be going there in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh I had a good one yesterday. White guy with dreads. Clearly high (just so you know, he prefers edibles). He told me he just had the run of the year. It involved an avalanche that he rode on his back and seeing another van-sized slab release in front of him and he chased it like it was "a gazelle...no....a wooly mammoth....and I was a saber-tooth tiger...." so that he could ride it (he didn't catch it). Then supposedly he saw a patroller at the bottom of the slope, and she was holding her avalanche dog in her arms, and "all she said to me was, 'want to pet my dog'? She wasn't even mad about starting the avalanche!" Now I'm starting to doubt his self-reporting. She was holding her avy dog? Was it a puppy? "Uhh....I don't know if it was a puppy." Is Crystal using Chihuahuas for avy patrol now? Probably not. I personally wonder if there was any avalanche, any slab or any dog. He was heading up to try to recreate the run and I suggested that maybe he didn't try to ride any more avalanches.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I had a good one yesterday. White guy with dreads. Clearly high (just so you know, he prefers edibles). He told me he just had the run of the year. It involved an avalanche that he rode on his back and seeing another van-sized slab release in front of him and he chased it like it was "a gazelle...no....a wooly mammoth....and I was a saber-tooth tiger...." so that he could ride it (he didn't catch it). Then supposedly he saw a patroller at the bottom of the slope, and she was holding her avalanche dog in her arms, and "all she said to me was, 'want to pet my dog'? She wasn't even mad about starting the avalanche!" Now I'm starting to doubt his self-reporting. She was holding her avy dog? Was it a puppy? "Uhh....I don't know if it was a puppy." Is Crystal using Chihuahuas for avy patrol now? Probably not. I personally wonder if there was any avalanche, any slab or any dog. He was heading up to try to recreate the run and I suggested that maybe he didn't try to ride any more avalanches.

This is hilarious!

bambam

Angel Diva

Oh my

newbieM

Angel Diva
This is the best thread ever. What I needed after a long week.

Since I’ve been skiing solo most of the time I end up riding the lifts alone which let me absorb the unique beauty of the mountains. I’m totally new to this and the magnitude of the nature and snow is amazing. The other times I end up riding with ski patrol and they are such a wealth of knowledge on the mountains.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
One comment I've had more than once - always from a man it seems - is something along the lines of: "Are your skis really yummy?" I also get asked how to pronounce "Yumi." (You don't see many Yumis at Tremblant so they tend to attract a bit of interest on chairlift rides.)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

LMAO--- Seems he's got some really good edibles.. laced with LSD???

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
I love this thread as much as I love those chairlift conversations. I've come to appreciate them so much more this last Year of Seeing Noone Outside My Household.

A couple months ago, I rode up with a 75-year-old former ski bum who invited me to join him for a couple of runs and ended up giving me some great tips. On opening day, I got paired with a friendly dudebro who told me all about how sweet skiing at Squaw and Alpine is and how he wants to get an IKON pass but it's so expensive. (We're at Northstar on the Epic pass.)

Me: I’d get both if I won the lottery.
Him: If you won the lottery, you should buy the whole mountain.
Me: Yeah, that would be amazing. Isn’t it crazy that in this world there’s multiple people who are rich enough to actually do that?
Him: Yeah that’s nuts when you think about it. [He shakes his head.] When there’s people like me just struggling.
Me: Exactly. [Long pause.] I mean, you and I can’t even buy two ski passes!

He chuckles, exits the lift, and tells me to enjoy my day.

kiki

Angel Diva
@Slayer yes I love the variety of people I get to chat with on the chair this year. In the past as a single I’d be shoved on the edge of a chair with a group of 3 and so they usually talked amongst myself. Sometimes I got a nice chat, but not often. Now as they put two singles together on the quad there are just two of you, each alone, and that lends to great conversation. All kinds of people of different ages and socioeconomic ranges, it’s been a highlight of my season.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Wow those are some GOOD cookies

One comment I've had more than once - always from a man it seems - is something along the lines of: "Are your skis really yummy?" I also get asked how to pronounce "Yumi." (You don't see many Yumis at Tremblant so they tend to attract a bit of interest on chairlift rides.)

I get this all the time on the lift also when I'm not near the park, People asking how to pronouce my skis. I've heard every iteration of ON3P you can think of. I had a pair of guys call me C3PO all day once.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I just read through the thread, and I'm still chuckling about this one. Brings to mind the famous quote: "I'll have what he's having" lol

MissySki

Angel Diva
I finally had my conversation with a wackadoo on the chairlift today.. I was getting onto a 6 person lift alone when this guy bolts out with me without asking. I didn’t think it was a big deal though given it’s a large chair. Started out normal enough and even realized that this person lives in a town pretty close to mine in MA. That’s when he just dove right off the deep end of reality. Well, I had a slight sign when he tells me that he’s gone to Florida and Utah recently because he’s not letting all of “this” affect his life when he loves to travel. Then he somehow switched gears into all sorts of things that he says are happening and nobody knows about because the news doesn’t cover it. He states as fact that actually Biden isn’t president, it’s all for show. We are currently under a partial martial law to keep the peace and Trump is president in the background. Also, because there was rampant corruption in this past election, there will be a new one coming up and also currency is going to switch to something he named but I can’t for the life of me remember.

To say I was shocked into a silent stupor would be an understatement. I’m sorry, what?!?!? I literally wanted to look around and see if I was on a hidden video show or something. I have never been so glad to get to the top of the mountain and off of a chair.

Mind.Blown. :scared:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly