• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Heated boots vs socks

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also toe warmers need enough air to function. In my previous boots the fit was such that they were not getting enough air. They would never really warm up and be cool when I removed my foot but would immediately start warming up after I removed the boots. I found that if I let them warm up for 5-10 minutes before inserting my foot into the boots they worked much better. With the limited air they would start cooling off after about 2-3 hours but could be revived at lunch time.
Of course if they are getting too much air they will initially get quite warm then burnout too quickly.

One way I've gotten around this in boots where there just isn't room for a toe warmer, is to put a hand warmer on top of the outside of my boot and then cover it in a boot glove. Boot glove holds it in place, and amazingly some heat from the hand warmer seeps into the boot through the plastic.

Ski and run

Diva in Training
no sadly I didn’t. I did stare at the lenz at pinnacle ski shop. I have been using toe warmers, boot gloves a lot but it hasn’t helped during the very cold windy days. I keep thinking about doing it

I have Lenz heated socks. I use them every time I go out. I've never experience a battery die. I like them. I'm supposed to be able to control them from the app on the phone but I've never gotten that to work and honestly, I would probably never use it either bc I don't mess with the settings. They've been a great product so far.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of heated socks (Lenz) and they are way too big and thick. I use them for super cold snowy hikes and snowshoeing. I have Hottronics and while I do have to replace the cords and batteries periodically, I’ll still keep using them. I ski a lot of days and the cords just aren’t that durable. I wrap them in duct tape but they still get beat up. But they are soooo worth it.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I have Lenz heated socks. I use them every time I go out. I've never experience a battery die. I like them. I'm supposed to be able to control them from the app on the phone but I've never gotten that to work and honestly, I would probably never use it either bc I don't mess with the settings. They've been a great product so far.
Glad to hear you like them! Did you get the 5.0 or 6.0?

Ski and run

Diva in Training
Glad to hear you like them! Did you get the 5.0 or 6.0?
I am not sure which ones I have. I got them as a gift a few years ago at Christmas and I’m still using them. They work just as well as they did the first time. My husband put a lot of thought into getting me the socks vs inserts. Both were expensive. He opted for the socks bc they can be washed easily as opposed to the inserts (how many times do we wash the inserts of our shoes or boots?). I saw another user say her Lenz socks were thick. I’m not sure which model either of us has but I don’t think mine are thick at all. I would compare the thickness of this sock to that a light hiker by smart wool. My only “gripe” is that my DH bought size large sock when I should be wearing a medium. But I use them anyway and it really hasn’t affected how my boot fits or my comfort while skiing. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used the Lenz boot heaters for the last 2 or 3 seasons. I've had pretty appalling circulation my whole life, but I've definitely found these help -- to the point that I have used them uphill on -20C ski tours in Japan and I haven't wanted to stop the whole thing and go home. Also, I use them in routine ski lessons (as an instructor), which is where I tend to get the coldest feet, and they have performed well.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Lenz 5.0 socks. Sadly they were too thick for my boots. Sending them back. I still like the idea of the socks and may try ordering the Lenz 6.0 compression version in the fall when inventory improves.

I got to feel the Sidas heated socks at a shop in Taos, but was not sure about the heating cables running down the Achilles and under the heal. Wish there was a slam dunk choice.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Lenz 5.0 socks. Sadly they were too thick for my boots. Sending them back. I still like the idea of the socks and may try ordering the Lenz 6.0 compression version in the fall when inventory improves.

I got to feel the Sidas heated socks at a shop in Taos, but was not sure about the heating cables running down the Achilles and under the heal. Wish there was a slam dunk choice.

I think the slam dunk is the regular Hotronics if you aren’t tied to the sock piece. I’ve used them for a decade and love them, you then avoid the fit issues etc.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I think the slam dunk is the regular Hotronics if you aren’t tied to the sock piece. I’ve used them for a decade and love them, you then avoid the fit issues etc.

I seem to bump the heat setting buttons on mine inadvertently or on chair lifts. The battery tucked into the sock cuff and toe cap have appeal, but fit wise you are right the boot heaters are the safe bet.

Jilly

Staff member
Move your batteries to the outside side, not directly on the back of the boot. Mine hang on the power strap. Thought I had a picture, but can't find one. I'll get one. And my batteries are old, so they are BIG!!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Move your batteries to the outside side, not directly on the back of the boot. Mine hang on the power strap. Thought I had a picture, but can't find one. I'll get one. And my batteries are old, so they are BIG!!

I did and the setting still managed to get bumped! Maybe it will happen infrequently even I can accept it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I thought my batteries were far enough to the side, but kept messing up the piece that plugs in from lift chairs crunching down on them. When I replaced my heating elements recently and said this to the shop tech he moved them further to the side still and I’ve had no issues since.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine are Thermic's, so different placement of the buttons maybe.

My "leads" come out at the heel and move towards the side. Everything is held with tape. My boot fitter did my first pair, I did the next based on what he'd done before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly