• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Another not Netflix, but Hulu just premiered "The United States vs Billie Holiday" and I just watched it. It's awesome, as are the performances by the entire cast. It literally had scenes that took my breath away. Andra Day was truly channeling Billie Holiday, and the acting in the performance scenes was stunning. PS. This is Andra Day's first acting role!!!

We've all seen "Lady Sings the Blues", which was also awesome, but this story is from an entirely different viewpoint, and I learned so much about Billie that I never knew about, including that she is considered the Grandmother of the Civil Rights Movement because of her activism around insisting on singing her song, "Strange Fruit" during the 1940's, despite warnings and harassment from the US govt about it. It's ultimately why she ended-up being arrested, and why they dogged her to her death.

Also not to be missed is the Oprah Winfrey interview with the lead stars, the screenwriter, and the director following the movie. Listening to Day explain how she approached the role was amazing.

If you don't get Hulu, they do offer a free 30-day preview, and it's definitely worth doing that just for this one movie, if nothing else! (But while you're there, I would also take advantage of "The Handmaid's Tale", if you still haven't seen it).

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
One caveat: this is definitely for “Mature Audiences” only— the topics, language, intimate scenes, etc, explored are for Adults Only!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I'm excited—my favorite book of the year so far, Detransition, Baby, is being developed for TV by some of the folks behind Grey's Anatomy. When reading it there were more than a couple times I had a reaction of "I really, really want to see this on screen", and I'm hopeful that it'll get the kind, soapy, witty treatment it deserves.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m enjoying “Intelligence,” a Canadian series with a female lead. A black female lead! It’s an intriguing spy series with a good dose of the drug dealers you find yourself rooting for.

Oh, and the men treat her badly but stick with it. I won’t say more!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started watching Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix the other day. I'm only halfway through the first season but I'm loving it so far. It sort of follows a bunch of the teams and racers during a season of Formula 1 (they are up to the third season of the show now). I know NOTHING at ALL about F1 or any kind of car racing, but I have been seriously enjoying the show so far, it's all about the problems and dramas between the teams and the drivers and it's just great! Entertaining and interesting!

newboots

Angel Diva
I finished "Intelligence" and liked it a lot.

Just started "L.A.'s Finest" - lightweight and funny, also dark and kind of violent. Only on the second episode; we will see.

Christy

Angel Diva
Worn Stories on Netflix! I watched 3 episodes last night and each was better than the last. It's positive, sweet, funny 30 minute episodes about the meaning of clothes (particular items of clothing to particular people). I loved the NASA/Columbia U t-shirt story.

Christy

Angel Diva
Anyone watching Shtisel on Netflix? I wouldn't have checked it out when browsing--the graphics of old Hasidic men didn't make me pause. But I read about it in the New Yorker and it's a really good family drama with great acting and strong female characters. It's the kind of show I find myself thinking about during the day. Will Akiva find love? Will so and so's lie be discovered? Etc.

altagirl

Staff member
Anyone watching Shtisel on Netflix? I wouldn't have checked it out when browsing--the graphics of old Hasidic men didn't make me pause. But I read about it in the New Yorker and it's a really good family drama with great acting and strong female characters. It's the kind of show I find myself thinking about during the day. Will Akiva find love? Will so and so's lie be discovered? Etc.
It's one I've ALMOST clicked on - I'll have to check it out!

I did watch Unorthodox, which I thought was great. I really did not know much about Hasidic Jewish customs, so it was enlightening and a good dramatic story too. Basically a "finding your place in the world when your family traditions are trying to force you into a mold that doesn't work for you" kind of story. Apparently they did a lot of work to be true to the realities of that culture.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
This weekend after getting my vaccine I watched a bunch of G.L.O.W. - which I would NOT have guessed that I'd find so entertaining. It's the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" and how it started - it's at least very loosely based on reality and I ended up really enjoying the mix of the silly storylines they were creating for the wrestling show with the human drama behind it. I think I also got a kick out of the 80s clothes, outfits, and all of that too. It's a soap opera behind a soap opera, but those can be fun.

And the other one I've watched recently is Russian Doll - which is more of a mind bending, follow the lead characters as they try to figure out what is happening to them (drugs, alternate universe, some sort of afterlife thing...) Sometimes a little dark, but entertaining.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's one I've ALMOST clicked on - I'll have to check it out!

I did watch Unorthodox, which I thought was great. I really did not know much about Hasidic Jewish customs, so it was enlightening and a good dramatic story too. Basically a "finding your place in the world when your family traditions are trying to force you into a mold that doesn't work for you" kind of story. Apparently they did a lot of work to be true to the realities of that culture.

The author of Unorthodox was on Fresh Air recently. It was good. I never read the book so I didn't know exactly what was her story and what was made up for the show. The interesting thing about Shtisel is that unlike so many other dramas/books where the main character is in a strict religion, it's just a family drama filled with likeable but imperfect characters that happen to be Hasidic.

I LOVED Glow and was so sorry it was cancelled. The episode of their first public performance had me crying laughing. Russian Doll was good too.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
And the other one I've watched recently is Russian Doll - which is more of a mind bending, follow the lead characters as they try to figure out what is happening to them (drugs, alternate universe, some sort of afterlife thing...) Sometimes a little dark, but entertaining.

Oooh that series is cool, I’ve been meaning to watch more of it. Thanks for reminding me of it!!

I’ve been really loving Warrior on HBO Max. It’s based on a treatment that Bruce Lee wrote, and features a mostly Asian cast in 1870s San Francisco. I love it for a lot of different reasons, but the characters and character development are the best part of it. As an avid enthusiast of Chinese-American history, I also give a lot of credit to the historical world building. The martial arts are also exciting and fun to watch. And unfortunately, the breakdown of anti-Chinese (Asian) sentiment is all too timely.

It is very violent and gory and was originally launched on Cinemax which means a ton of female and male nudity - so not to everyone’s taste - but it’s so good!

altagirl

Staff member
Oooh that series is cool, I’ve been meaning to watch more of it. Thanks for reminding me of it!!

I’ve been really loving Warrior on HBO Max. It’s based on a treatment that Bruce Lee wrote, and features a mostly Asian cast in 1870s San Francisco. I love it for a lot of different reasons, but the characters and character development are the best part of it. As an avid enthusiast of Chinese-American history, I also give a lot of credit to the historical world building. The martial arts are also exciting and fun to watch. And unfortunately, the breakdown of anti-Chinese (Asian) sentiment is all too timely.

It is very violent and gory and was originally launched on Cinemax which means a ton of female and male nudity - so not to everyone’s taste - but it’s so good!
Oh that sounds excellent. I'll add that to the list!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend after getting my vaccine I watched a bunch of G.L.O.W. - which I would NOT have guessed that I'd find so entertaining. It's the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" and how it started - it's at least very loosely based on reality and I ended up really enjoying the mix of the silly storylines they were creating for the wrestling show with the human drama behind it. I think I also got a kick out of the 80s clothes, outfits, and all of that too. It's a soap opera behind a soap opera, but those can be fun.

I watched GLOW a while ago and really enjoyed it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The author of Unorthodox was on Fresh Air recently. It was good. I never read the book so I didn't know exactly what was her story and what was made up for the show. The interesting thing about Shtisel is that unlike so many other dramas/books where the main character is in a strict religion, it's just a family drama filled with likeable but imperfect characters that happen to be Hasidic.

I read UNORTHODOX and it’s very different than the movie. Not that that’s much of a surprise.

kiki

Angel Diva
Wondering what app I can use on my Samsung tv in canada to watch classic cartoons —yogi bear, the Smurf’s, the jetsons etc....i can’t find these on prime or Netflix...:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wondering what app I can use on my Samsung tv in canada to watch classic cartoons —yogi bear, the Smurf’s, the jetsons etc....i can’t find these on prime or Netflix...:
Checked with my cartoon consultant (who's in his 50s) - not on Disney or Crave either. Apparently HBO Max has them but then I'd have thought they'd be on Crave if that was the case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly