• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lift Conversations?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A fabulous tactic that Ive noticed the last couple years that really helps avoiding awkward creepy dudes is adopting the parkrat look. The whole shebang; No poles, baggy kit , just a hoodie on the warmer days, stickers on the helmet and of course the twin tips. Nobody seems to want to ride the lift with this demographic for some reason. Since I look young for my age I can pull this off well.

Lol, I was once banned from a certain large ski forum for a lighthearted observation that young snowboarders/park riders tend to not like to chat on chairlifts. The thread was locked and I was reprimanded for being divisive and unacceptably hostile to boarders. :rolleyes:

Pretty rich given that a. I admire snowboarders and love to watch them carve and ride park, and b. the only negative chairlift experiences I've ever had were with other skiers.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got stuck on the lift today with a guy who reminded me of "Leisure Suit Larry" (remember the computer game from the 90s?).
First he got on the lift and removed his mask--then proceeded to try to chat me up. Not wanting a mask vs no mask altercation on a chair lift, I grunted and hmmed in return and looked in every direction except at him and he sort of gave up.
At least he stayed at the far end of the chair.:rolleyes:
Later I saw him doing the same thing to someone else.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting thread. Between current COVID conditions and the fact that I usually ski with a buddy, I don’t have a lot of ‘interesting chair lift companion’ stories. The last memorable one from a couple years back was with an older gentlemen at Bromley- he was either ski patrol or a volunteer, can’t remember. He proceeded to comment on my outdated skis (I was still sporting my pair from my college years... I graduated in 1996, so he had a point). Kind of mansplaining, but in this case pretty good natured and I was interested to hear what he had to say. That lead to me finally upgrading my gear, which led to a lot of internet research, which lead to me finding this forum! So. I have the ‘older guy who offers unsolicited advice” to thank for leading me to the Divas!
As an aside, though, I’m kind of in awe of Nancy Pelosi’s hair. There is never a strand out of place. It is the perfect shade of golden brown. I’m pretty non-confrontational, but I would have been tempted to defend that haircut if I was in your shoes (boots?), @Christy!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lol, I was once banned from a certain large ski forum for a lighthearted observation that young snowboarders/park riders tend to not like to chat on chairlifts. The thread was locked and I was reprimanded for being divisive and unacceptably hostile to boarders. :rolleyes:

Pretty rich given that a. I admire snowboarders and love to watch them carve and ride park, and b. the only negative chairlift experiences I've ever had were with other skiers.

LOL there was a TShirt at Alta. "God loves snowboarders but Alta doesn't"
Wish I bought it.. perfect pot stirring T-shirt

elleninred

Diva in Training
Here in NM there's a strict only-ride-with-those-you-came-with (COVID) policy for lifts this year. Nevertheless, at one point in line at Taos last week, the (unmasked, I must add!) guy behind me asked "are you single? Want to sit together?" "No thanks!" :nono: However I got to riff on this line when I spotted my love interest a few minutes later in the other singles line!

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
I had a perfectly nice conversation with an older guy today, focused on relevant topics (skiing). Then at the end he called me "young lady", twice. What? Is he being ironic? Or maybe with the helmet and mask he had no idea of my age. I should have called him " young man." Why didn't I think of that?

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I have actually had some great conversations on the lifts this year. I skied at Snowshoe for a month, mostly by myself, and would try to find another amenable single to ride with to save time in the line. The liftie told me the first day that they weren’t allowed to try and pair people up but encouraged me to take matters into my own hands, which I did. I rode one day with this cute boarder and I do believe he was flirting with me! Now, I am 67 but I was totally covered — helmet, reflective goggles so you couldn’t see my eyes, mask(s), gloves and even glove liners. I thought my voice would give me away but I really think I got away with it! That was super fun and made my day, plus we had a great conversation. Otherwise, I always initiated the conversation with ”How’s it going” and from there led the talk into something fun. I think that helped. Don’t let those men take over or start their own story line or you’re sunk, lol!

newboots

Angel Diva
I had a great time at Hunter today after sharing the lift with 77 year old woman named Carol. She is an accomplished skier, but skied cautiously, making her a perfect companion for me. We skied four or five runs together, only stopping when the lift shut down for about 20 minutes and they finally announced that there was maintenance being done at the top!

I want to be her when I grow up.

MontanaMom

Certified Ski Diva
My local mountain, not a resort, is very chill. We chat in the lodge, we chat on the lifts etc.

Went to Whitefish resort, no one chatted. Everyone was friendly but no one chatted. I didn't ride lifts outside my group though.

MontanaMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, @MontanaMom - glad to have you here! I think Covid protocols have interrupted so much in skiing (and in everything).

:welcome:
I think you're right there! It really has impacted Skiing. However being.forced to wear a neck gaiter wasn't a bad thing, my face is much warmer!!!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm about to bother you all about gear!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to say, although I am all about & support the covid restrictions right now, I do kind of miss the ski lift chats with strangers. I love a good chairlift chat; especially on days where I find myself in the singles line. This year, it’s just our group ...sometimes just me & my son or is & our 2 ski buddies ....we’ve had very few “guests” on our chair rides this season....in VT & MA.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My local mountain, not a resort, is very chill. We chat in the lodge, we chat on the lifts etc.

Went to Whitefish resort, no one chatted. Everyone was friendly but no one chatted. I didn't ride lifts outside my group though.
  1. This year our visitor count is through the roof, especially from out-of-state. License plates seen on Wednesday in the lot: Tennesse, North Carolina, Missouri, North Dakota, Colorado. Normally, it's Montana and Alberta. The locals are TESTY. Saturday-sized lines mid week.
  2. Masks don't encourage idle chatting.

newboots

Angel Diva
  1. This year our visitor count is through the roof, especially from out-of-state. License plates seen on Wednesday in the lot: Tennesse, North Carolina, Missouri, North Dakota, Colorado. Normally, it's Montana and Alberta. The locals are TESTY. Saturday-sized lines mid week.

I wonder if the skiing Renaissance will continue after the pandemic? I sure liked it when we had the hills to ourselves midweek! Of course, the reduced capacity (where?) and closing of the bars and restaurants has really hurt the resorts, but will the work-from-home crowd keep skiing all week in years to come?

Mixed feelings, of course. If it keeps the ski ares from closing down, that would be wonderful. If the trails are too crowded and lift lines too long, not so wonderful.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I rode today with an 83 year old man. He asked if he could ride with me and told me that he was fully vaccinated. I am half vaccinated so we skied together for several runs.

I would have stayed with him longer but he told me that his legs only permit him to take 3 runs/day. At first that seemed to be a real shame, but then I realized that if I can take any runs when I am 83 I will be extremely grateful.

We chatted about his years of ski bumming and racing. He also participated in some other risky activities such as hang gliding and parachute jumping. Clearly he has lived a satisfying life. I was sorry when we parted company.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chairlift convos were always great. This season, I only ride alone. And I love the chairlifts, they feel like such a pleasure just to be outside in in beautiful nature -- and a nice break from skiing where I can think about my last run or visualize my next, or learn from skiers skiing or even poach knowledge from folks below (got a great tip one day from a mom teaching her kid!), or do my work I need to do in my head. So yeah the conversations with myself are great haha! But some of the ones here y'all are having seem really heartfelt and lovely and glad you are having them, like this:
I rode today with an 83 year old man. He asked if he could ride with me and told me that he was fully vaccinated. I am half vaccinated so we skied together for several runs.

I would have stayed with him longer but he told me that his legs only permit him to take 3 runs/day. At first that seemed to be a real shame, but then I realized that if I can take any runs when I am 83 I will be extremely grateful.

We chatted about his years of ski bumming and racing. He also participated in some other risky activities such as hang gliding and parachute jumping. Clearly he has lived a satisfying life. I was sorry when we parted company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly