• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ski length help... Blizzard BP 88s 159cm or 166cm?

malva

Diva in Training
Hello Ski Divas!

Firstly, let me start off by saying I love this website! I’ve already spent hours today in a black hole reading posts. Women empowering women is awesome!

Secondly, I decided to finally take the plunge and buy my first set of skis (yay!) and need some help deciding between the Blizzard Black Pearl 88s, 159cm or 166cm lengths. I’m 5ft 7.5in, between 135-140lbs, moderately athletic, and 30yr old. I’m an intermediate skier (working on that advance level) and mostly ski blue groomers. I’ve skied a couple of groomed blacks, but consider myself more of a cautious skier and not really interested in going super fast. Also I don’t ski moguls or trees. Since I’m from Texas, I probably ski ~10days a year and my go-to ski spots are Colorado, Park City, and Sun Valley.
I’m open and appreciative for all feedback, experience, and recommendations! Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What's your favorite resort in Colorado?

I'm petite, older, advanced so not in your size category. That said, my all-mountain skis in the past decade are or were 159cm. Included the first version of the Black Pearl. I like the current BP88 but opted for a different brand the last time I bought skis. Even as an advanced and somewhat adventurous intermediate, I used skis that were mid-150s. So 159cm seems pretty short for you.

What length skis have you been using?

malva

Diva in Training
Hi marzNC!

Thanks for the response.
Telluride is probably my current favorite in Colorado, but I’m hoping to visit Wolf Creek or Steamboat next ski season so TBD.

I’ve been skiing between 159cm-164cm the last couple of years. I demoed some Blizzard Sheeva 9 @164cm and had a lot of fun!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Definitely the 166 out of those two size options. For reference, I’m 5’4 ~130 lbs and ski the Sheeva 9 as my daily driver in the 164. All of my other skis are in the mid 160s range as well.

Welcome to the site, good time to get lost in the threads!!

newboots

Angel Diva
I agree with the recommendation of 166. The Black Pearls “ski short,” that is, because of the tip and tail rocker, less of a ski is on the surface of the snow than the same length of another ski without rocker.

I have the BP 82s in 158, and I’m 5’4”, intermediate. I could ski longer without much difficulty, I think, but this was an upgrade from 153s.

Welcome and so glad you joined us!
:welcome:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Welcome! I agree with the 166 for you. I have the BP88 in 159. I’m ~ 5’6 and 130 lbs. The 159 doesn’t feel short to me but I’m a low intermediate.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! I’m an athletic 5’4 and ski the 159 BP 88 each year for a few days. I’d suggested the 166 for you. There’s a difference in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 Black Pearls. You can’t go wrong with either model year, both ride like a dream for your application, but know that the newer version has some added weight making the ride even more stable. Personally, the new model is absolutely phenomenal.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
166, even if you are getting the 2021 version, which skis longer than previous versions.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I'd go with the 166 for you. I have the 2018 model in 159. I'm shorter and heavier than you and they ski too short for me (unless I'm in bumps!)

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! I’m an athletic 5’4 and ski the 159 BP 88 each year for a few days. I’d suggested the 166 for you. There’s a difference in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 Black Pearls. You can’t go wrong with either model year, both ride like a dream for your application, but know that the newer version has some added weight making the ride even more stable. Personally, the new model is absolutely phenomenal.

Haha I hate reading about how the new model is better!! I own the 2020 model and love it to bits, but it's definitely lightweight and I especially noticed it when comparing it to some heavier 2020 skis I demoed. It's not as smooth and a lot more bouncy over chop than a heavier ski. I don't mind (and it's just an excuse to add a heavier ski to my quiver down the track to complement it, I guess...) but it definitely gives me some mild buyers remorse even though I've already had around 30 great days on this ski :"D

Anyway, I'm sure OP has already bought a ski or at least decided on the length, but echoing what everyone else said - the longer length. I'm 5'3 115lb and a cautious intermediate. I own the 159cm BP88 (2020) and it's great for me. Wouldn't have it any longer or shorter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna