• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About to start the hunt for gardening gloves in my shed. I don't like wearing them, but my hands haven't had a chance to toughen up gradually like usual. Just raking half of my front yard to de-thatch the lawn has given me blisters. I should have some gloves somewhere, I hope. I still have the other half of the front yard and all of the back to do. But no complaints-- the sun is out, the air is warm, and I do have a yard to putter around in and be outside.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
We have an awful lot of these fellas flying out if the ground right now . Last year we ate them every day for about 6 weeks ! And before they are finished the artichokes will start ....,it’s spring !

Attachments

• 318C1FD0-2427-4FDE-9791-47DC1F4301DB.jpeg
    318C1FD0-2427-4FDE-9791-47DC1F4301DB.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 12

newboots

Angel Diva
@Salomon - I planted asparagus last year, so we will taste it this year for the first time! No sign of life in the asparagus bed yet; too early. I do have some mystery bulbs coming up. I don't remember any bulbs in that spot in the garden, unless they are allium. But they didn't smell oniony, and they don't look like I think I remember allium looking. They look like hyacinths, but there aren't hyacinths there. Did I plant something in the fall and forget? We shall see!

Last edited:

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Today is the day we prepare all the seeds . Tomorrow they promise rain so we will sow them all . Tomatoes , aubergines ( egg plants to you lot !) , peppers , okra and chillis ( himself has a passion for super hot chillis) . They will all be raised in the poly tunnels . Everything else goes directly into the ground . We already have peas about 6 inches tall . They will be ready end April / early May ( just when we are really fed up with asparagus and artichokes ) .
So grateful to have a huge garden this year . It’s a luxury and a privilege. So we will give it our very best efforts .

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
20200329_090154_resized.jpg
Thankfully more ripe blueberries!
Will probably plant seeds this week .... although their is a bunny that has been living under my front garden box. Which explains why I've had issues with things being eaten - thought it was a squirrel.
May have to screen off or just turn into butterfly garden.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
View attachment 12694
Thankfully more ripe blueberries!
Will probably plant seeds this week .... although their is a bunny that has been living under my front garden box. Which explains why I've had issues with things being eaten - thought it was a squirrel.
May have to screen off or just turn into butterfly garden.

We have a rabbit (probably not just one) that lives under our shed. We tried trapping to release elsewhere, to no avail. I've accepted that we will have to live with them forever, which wasn't an issue until recently when they started getting into the corner garden which they had previously ignored and decimated a lot of my plants. Thus began bunny warfare, when i would build a fence and the bunny would figure out a way to get through it. Finally we have reached a ridiculously over-engineered solution which the bunny can not get over or under, but it means that it requires me to climb over a high fence and jump into the garden to access my plants, which is less than ideal but at least my seedlings don't get devoured.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m going to be facing similar dilemmas with my chickens. I didn’t let them out last year until the garden was spent, but they love digging in it. They’re also eating the shoots of daffodils, which are supposed to be poisonous but the chic kids are still squawking, loudly, eating, and laying. They were babies last year but are full grown now, and very hungry.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a rabbit (probably not just one) that lives under our shed. We tried trapping to release elsewhere, to no avail. I've accepted that we will have to live with them forever, which wasn't an issue until recently when they started getting into the corner garden which they had previously ignored and decimated a lot of my plants. Thus began bunny warfare, when i would build a fence and the bunny would figure out a way to get through it. Finally we have reached a ridiculously over-engineered solution which the bunny can not get over or under, but it means that it requires me to climb over a high fence and jump into the garden to access my plants, which is less than ideal but at least my seedlings don't get devoured.
Do you have a dog? Does a neighbor have a dog? Rabbits don't want to be where predators are. You can drive them away with a plastic bag full of predator poo (dogs are predators). Throw the bag under your shed. Bury another bag half way in the ground and cover it with a rock in your garden. You will smell a fresh bag the first day, but not afterwards. The rabbits will continue to smell it for a long time. Add new "rabbit deterrent" as needed.

Rabbits eat hostas, which are most of what I grow, and there are many rabbits in the woods that surround my property. Deer love hostas too, but they can be deterred more easily than rabbits. Bags of "rabbit deterrent" have been the only workable strategy I've found that keeps the rabbits from killing my plants. It's reliable and free.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Azaleas starting to get going in my yard. Should have some blooming for the next 3-4 weeks since I've put in early, mid, and late season varieties over the years. The bush in the front of the first pic is around 25 years old. Didn't grow or die for the first 5-10 years and now about 4 feet tall. It has "double" flowers. The third pic is a York that's under 18 inches.Ridgefield 30Mar2020 azaleas - 1.jpgRidgefield 30Mar2020 azaleas - 2.jpgRidgefield 30Mar2020 azaleas - 3.jpg

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I've three shades of pink as above plus white across the front of my house that are now at their peak. The unusual yellow and orange ones (native to Oconee County, SC) on my driveway are just getting started and are just gorgeous!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Azaleas starting to get going in my yard. Should have some blooming for the next 3-4 weeks since I've put in early, mid, and late season varieties over the years. The bush in the front of the first pic is around 25 years old. Didn't grow or die for the first 5-10 years and now about 4 feet tall. It has "double" flowers. The third pic is a York that's under 18 inches.View attachment 12720View attachment 12721View attachment 12722
Those are gorgeous !

Christy

Angel Diva
Spring is here! Here's what's blooming/growing in my small yard. Some late daffodils hanging on but in general they are done and making way for tulips. Dwarf forsythia, bluebells, purple groundcover whose name escapes me, dicentra (is there anything prettier?), flowering red current, shelling peas and perennial herbs in my veggie bed.

IMG_20200415_184234.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna