• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2019-20 conditions - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just found the thread for all things SLC! If anyone is skiing LCC at all on 3/4, 3/5 or 3/6, feel free to reply! I'll be at Alta mostly, Snowbird depending on conditions. I'm headed out to ski and so far most of my usual ski buddies haven't been able to make any of those days "sick days" yet lol. Would be nice to ski with someone.
Welcome! Keep posting. Once you have 25 posts, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill thread that are for more active Divas Only. That's where Divas can arrange meet ups.

I won't be in Utah in March, but will be back in April.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, I will be at DV next week and am nervous about all the snow, crazy, right?! I'm an east coast skier, and have never skied in powder before. I know Deer Valley is known for their grooming; can someone tell me if that means those runs won't have deep powder? It's probably a stupid question, but I'm just trying to set my expectations for what will do-able skiing-wise. I am beyond excited about the trip, but am scared I won't be able to ski anything! Thank you!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I will be at DV next week and am nervous about all the snow, crazy, right?! I'm an east coast skier, and have never skied in powder before. I know Deer Valley is known for their grooming; can someone tell me if that means those runs won't have deep powder? It's probably a stupid question, but I'm just trying to set my expectations for what will do-able skiing-wise. I am beyond excited about the trip, but am scared I won't be able to ski anything! Thank you!

You'll be fine, they groom a lot. More groomed than Ungroomed. if it is snowing While skiing, relax, enjoy it and if you can take a powder lesson.
Powder skiing is like slow motion skiing (Coming from the east)
Have Fun. DV is an Awesome groomer's paradise!

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you!! I figured I was overthinking it, but have been looking forward to this trip since my first (and last) visit 3 years ago. : )

Soujan

Angel Diva
So I called Avis customer service numerous times yesterday in an attempt to reach the SLC Airport location to inquire about my rental having AWD and snow tires for my trip in March. I reserved a standard SUV months ago. Even though their website tells you to call the location to ask, I found there is no way to speak to someone at the actual location. I kept getting routed to the main customer service line. One of the reps I spoke to told me there is no way to confirm and it is only based on availability when I pick up the rental.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
We had a great trip! Deep base underfoot and 9-12 inches during the day and overnight while we were there. Had a great time in the bowls, sucked wind on the hikes, and really did not get hit with holiday weekend crowds - upper mountain you could almost ski up to the lift. We skied at Alta for all three days. At the last minute I converted our reservation to a lodge on the mountain, instead of a more economical but much less convenient trip in from outside the canyon. Well worth it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
We had a great trip! Deep base underfoot and 9-12 inches during the day and overnight while we were there. Had a great time in the bowls, sucked wind on the hikes, and really did not get hit with holiday weekend crowds - upper mountain you could almost ski up to the lift. We skied at Alta for all three days. At the last minute I converted our reservation to a lodge on the mountain, instead of a more economical but much less convenient trip in from outside the canyon. Well worth it!
Sounds like a great time! Which lodge at Alta did you choose? A standard room or dorm room? With meals included, a dorm bed can be a pretty good deal for a powder trip.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
We booked at the very last minute, and didn't have a lot of choices available for our family of 3. We stayed in a standard room at Snowpine, ate most of our meals there, and were quite pampered!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We drove from LA to Salt Lake City on Tuesday. Skied Alta/Snowbird on Weds., Snowbird/Alta on Thurs., and Solitude/Brighton today. We are staying in Midvale.

Photos 1, 3, 4 are from the top of the Snowbird tram. Photo 2 is from our lunch break at Snowbird.

The snow at Alta and Snowbird was fabulous packed powder. Since it was very cold for a while after their latest snowfall on Sunday, the snow stayed really nice. But it was a bit warmer yesterday and even warmer today. I thought that the snow at Solitude wasn't quite as good today. But it's still really good.

Quite a change from the firm conditions we've been skiing recently at Mammoth.

IMG_20200220_102119962_1582333991216.jpgIMG_20200220_124929647_1582228233961_1582333904510.jpgIMG_20200220_102135984_1582333939996.jpgIMG_20200220_102127350_1582333962361.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Starting to watch Alta conditions for my late season trip. Looking around the new features on the Alta website. It's possible to compare stats for the current season with a previous season. Hopefully there will be some storms coming up in late March and early April.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 9.28.37 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Unfortunately while the snow may be good, there won't be any lifts running in LCC or BCC starting March 15. There is too much evidence of community spread of COVID-19 in Utah.

Deer Valley and Park City are closed as well, as are all resorts owned by Vail Resorts and Alterra across N. America.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that I was now still planning to go since I think the writing is now "officially on the wall" as of today, but still no email from Goldminer's Daughter as far as if they are closing for the season as well/giving deposit refunds. I see Alta Lodge plans to close down and Rustler also is automatically issuing refunds. I'm planning now to cancel my flights anyway.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not that I was now still planning to go since I think the writing is now "officially on the wall" as of today, but still no email from Goldminer's Daughter as far as if they are closing for the season as well/giving deposit refunds. I see Alta Lodge plans to close down and Rustler also is automatically issuing refunds. I'm planning now to cancel my flights anyway.
Alta Lodge hasn't sent emails yet either. They just posted on their website earlier today. I'm sure all the lodges are scrambling to get a full implementation plan in place. Being prepared for Interlodge is one thing, being prepared for an early closure due to a pandemic is quite another.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta Lodge hasn't sent emails yet either. They just posted on their website earlier today. I'm sure all the lodges are scrambling to get a full implementation plan in place. Being prepared for Interlodge is one thing, being prepared for an early closure due to a pandemic is quite another.
Found an email from Alta Lodge from last night in my Junk mailbox. (Google isn't as smart as it thinks.) Although the announcement is only about Alta shutting down, not Alta Lodge. But with Alta Lodge a lot of guests use the phone rather than email or the website for reservations stuff.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check your email. GMD sent cancelation emails out. All three of my parties got them just before noon today.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got an email from Alta Lodge just now. Offering to apply credit to next season or a refund. Classy operation.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing from GMD for me yet. Maybe the cancelations are going out in batches. If I don't hear in a day or so, I'll email them or heaven forbid call---I'm sure everyone is slammed and phones ringing off the hook.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nothing from GMD for me yet. Maybe the cancelations are going out in batches. If I don't hear in a day or so, I'll email them or heaven forbid call---I'm sure everyone is slammed and phones ringing off the hook.
I found all sorts of legitimate email in my Junk folder in the last few days. I think Gmail is going overboard. One of the Alta Lodge emails ended up in there.

I guess one advantage of a small lodge like GMD or Alta Lodge is that there aren't really that many guests. Perhaps those people who haven't been paying attention before March 14 should be done calling after today.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can call, they actually weren’t slammed at the front desk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna