• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Senior Stars--Discounted Lessons at Mountain High in Southern California

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks @VickiK - Ill look into it tomorrow..... great price if its only $25 for a lift ticket also. How crowded could it be on a Wednesday?
I see that they have uphill routes also - I want to see if they allow uphill on the East side if its closed during the weekdays.....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@VickiK I'm doing it tommorow - can you ? I usually have to be at work on Wednesdays but not tommorow....

Skied Sunday empty black runs. Minimal Lift lines. They had an event Saturday and it was cold and a bit stormy so maybe why no crowds. They made snow last week and got 6-8 inches fresh Sunday / Monday. Only 3 beer cans to avoid and a few pinecones. All in all a lot nicer experience than I remember from 9 years ago.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I attended the Senior Stars day yesterday with 71 other 'senior' skiers and snowboarders and had a really positive experience. This was maybe the largest group, prompted by the recent new snow. Since there were 11 new skiers and a full roster of regulars the groups were a little larger but nonetheless I thought my instructor did a good job working with the various members of the group. There was a ski off for the new attendees and others who had participated previously grouped with their prior instructors. Some attend regularly, which would be ideal, same group instructor for 12 weeks. We started with one legged drills, worked on completing turns, then moved on to 360's and then ended with human slalom all within 2 hours. This program is really geared for the intermediate / advanced skier/snowboarder, but they accommodated a few beginners as well. Thanks @VickiK for sharing this resource.

I really enjoyed my group*, a mix of men and women and really it was sort of an extended version of the relationship the friends in Snow Days have but in group format. [https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Day-Life-Death-Skiing/dp/B077YPCGBK]. Most attendees are retired, I was on the younger end, one of the few still 'working.' Its definitely worth checking out if you are local. They also give a discount on regular lift tickets if you have another mountain's season pass.

BUT More interesting for me is Mt. High's uphill policy. It took me a while to find someone who could verify (ski patrol) that per the website, they allow uphill (skinning) when the mountain is "closed." That would be early morning for West and evening when no night skiing. BUT EAST and NORTH resorts are closed on the weekdays, which means you could skin and ski East/North resort during the weekdays. Most likely by your self. This would have meant on Monday, if you skinned up East you would have had the "entire" resort to yourself with fresh powder on previously groomed runs, which would be good for a couple of laps ......rethinking bringing my touring gear home if SoCal has one of those seasons where it gets more storms.....

*with the exception one younger male member apparently was self appointed assistant tip/instruction whisperer, I ignored him for the most part and found great humor in his mansplaining.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been on here for a few days, so I missed all these posts. So interesting! I hope to take advantage of the program too one of these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna