• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Massanutten 2019-20

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mnut is managing to stay open all week, although they aren't open for night skiing. But that means any kids in weekly programs can get in their sessions. Snowmaking will start up on Thu night. I'm looking forward to see winter conditions by the time I'm skiing with my friends on Sat, 18Jan. Might even see natural snowflakes that day! They have the best luck with snow at Mnut and spring break trips to Alta in terms of snowstorms.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 8.33.22 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The cold front has arrived at Massanutten! It was 55º at 4am early early this morning, down to 29º as of 11pm. Very low dew point so the snowmaking output will be very good. Windy though, with gusts up to 30 mph.

Wunderground data from Massanutten mid-mountain
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 10.57.19 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
22º at Massanutten as of 7:30am Friday morning! Lower Showtime won't re-open until Sat so being able to get in as many daytime hours of snowmaking will be very helpful. They are blowing on Geronimo again. We'll see if it opens on Sat or Sun.

No more snow in the forecast for Sat. But cold nights, even in the teens after the weekend, are predicted for the next five nights. The best forecast for the mountain is on the Mnut website. Looking at Harrisonburg weather forecasts can be misleading since it's usually warmer but with a temperature inversion then it's colder than the summit.

https://www.massresort.com/play/snow-sports/weather/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wind has died down completely around Harrisonburg. Temp range went from a low of 22 to a high of 32 mid-afternoon. 24 hour snowmaking!

Staying on the mountain this weekend. Can hear all the snow guns from the porch of the unit, which is close to Geronimo. But nice and quite inside. Winter #2 is here.

Wunderground data from Massanutten mid-mountain
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.21.25 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Full winter at Massanutten. Guns on all day, but pointed high. A few were building base with wet snow on Geroimo and Lower Showtime but most were pumping out dry snow that made the skiing quite good. Southern Comfort was very nice for the beginners. Enough people around in spite of temps in the 20s to get "skier packed" conditions. DJ got slick by the afternoon, but that typical. No snowmaking on DJ today. All guns on for Paradice and Upper Showtime.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my way to work this morning it was so nice to see Paradise and Upper Showtime covered in snow. I can't wait to have more terrain open.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my way to work this morning it was so nice to see Paradise and Upper Showtime covered in snow. I can't wait to have more terrain open.

We did DJ for 3 hours straight yesterday morning. It was definitely "hero snow". I was sorry you were missing it. It wasn't as crowded either.
Really enjoyed my Santa Anas in it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
We did DJ for 3 hours straight yesterday morning. It was definitely "hero snow". I was sorry you were missing it. It wasn't as crowded either.
Really enjoyed my Santa Anas in it!
Glad we had a chance to do a couple runs together and catch up.

My friend, ChrisB, who you know, and AY (middle school, advanced at Alta) skied DJ in the afternoon too. But moved over to Lower Showtime because the snow was a lot better there. I spent the afternoon with JF (AY's mom) as she practiced something she was working on after a private lesson with Wayne on Sun afternoon.

I was working on what Peter had shown me on Mon morning. We did a private "group lesson" for a couple hours. It was me, ChrisB, AY, and LL (AY's younger sister). It was great to experience how Peter could use the same drill for all four of us, since we are at different stages of advanced technique. The kids are Level 6/7 and 8 for Alta Ski School. They've been doing spring break trips for a few years. Last season ChrisB was at Alta Lodge at the same time too.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's winter at Massanutten! Most importantly for me, Paradice is open. It's my favorite trail. Upper Showtime was great on Tue morning, but had snow guns on. Will be a just little too warm for daytime snowmaking today. :thumbsup:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 8.08.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-23 at 8.10.16 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The temperature inversion is back. It's been a major factor all season. Good thing there were enough cold days to get a base going for Paradice in the past week. I hadn't skied Paradice for a few years. Still my favorite trail at Massanutten.

There were snow whales on DJ but Paradice was pretty flat yesterday. Good snow on DJ all day and during night skiing too. Paradice opened a little late because parts were too frozen. By lunch time, Paradice was pretty good except for the last headwall. That's always slick or frozen but it's right before the run out so not hard to straight line that short section.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 7.26.54 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Could only ski for a short while this morning but glad I did. The snow on DJ, Paradice, and Upper Showtime was absolutely wonderful. Never froze overnight and temps were in the mid-30s. Everything that was slick was groomed out and soft but not too soft.

Mnut finally had enough snow in the teaching area to building a couple TBL features. The teaching area is bigger since the longer magic carpet was moved a bit. There was a strip with 3 rollers and a set of banked turns. Snow Operating is going to send someone to do more training for instructors soon.

Also there is a Public Practice area that's available when the teaching area is for lessons only (until 2pm). Have to walk up and slide down. But completely protected with fencing on both sides. Got used a fair amount last weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There will be "late season" skiing at Massanutten in late Feb and early March. Snowmaking on the upper mountain this morning. Looking at the forecast for next week, should be more opportunities in the next couple weeks. Good for the Mnut Snow Moon Fest March 7-8 when Freestyle is setting up their demo tent again.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.14.47 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Winter is back at Massanutten. I expect snow guns to be on pretty much all day on the upper mountain. Diamond Jim will be closed both Sat and Sun morning for USSA racing, Feb. 22-23.

Weather as of 10am on Feb. 21, 2020:
Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 10.12.58 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's going to be pretty warm and a little rainy for a few days but hoping the forecast for cold nights holds at Massanutten later in the week. I'll be heading there for one more weekend.

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.44.29 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The temperature at Massanutten dropped 10 degrees in a couple hours last night! Snow guns on this morning. Going to be good conditions this weekend for sure. They are hosting a border cross on Pacesetter.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry I will miss you. Me, Aysha, Jim, and John will all be in Steamboat. We're on 3 separate trips, but I hope we'll be able to connect for dinner some evening.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It was 32 degrees as I got to the Massanutten slopes around 5pm. Snow guns were on for Upper Showtime, Pacesetter, and starting up on DJ and Southern Comfort. Didn't ski, just stopped in to take a look. Bonus was finding that the General Store has the new edition of Southern Skiing for sale.

Snowguns working on Upper Showtime and lower DJ, hard to see in the pictures but very obvious looking from the parking lot (near mountain pool)
Mnut 5pm snowmaking 27Feb2020 - 1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna