• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to shine up kids ugly skis?

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
My 7 year old has the constant "joy" of being last of 3 boys - meaning that everything has been used before. This includes his skis.
They are in fine condition - and are well maintained after each trip, but the foil is soooooo ugly. It's scratched to a point where it's hard to even see the motif and when you touch it, it's rough.

To say it nicely - they are just plain trashed.

As this is just cosmetic, I was thinking of doing something to shine them up. My son said yesterday "I want new skis - I want some cool skis with black and gold".
I thought about new foil, but again - a pair of 100 cm skis that has one or maybe 2 seasons left. There is only so much I want to spend. Maybe sand the rough parts down, spray paint and place some cool stickers.

Is this a terrible idea? Will it have any effect of the handling of the skis if they are painted (a 7-year old beginner.... I doubt it, but I need to ask).
And is there any particular paint (type, not brand as I probably don't have the same brands here) that is better than others?

And finally - is this a crazy idea and we should just accept that skis are trashed and learn to live with that (and enjoy the fact that they are trashed because our kids have used them a lot)?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stickers!! I have stickers on all my stuff- No one is taking my things "by mistake"

The topsheet doesn't affect performance so go for it.
I have a friend works in a sign shop and he does overlays on his skis (Looks like it's shelf paper)

I think it sounds fun to let him design his own ski :-) Show us the before and after please!

my friends skis: 1579780100502.png

Last edited:

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Stickers!! I have stickers on all my stuff- No one is taking my things "by mistake"

The topsheet doesn't affect performance so go for it.
I have a friend works in a sign shop and he does overlays on his skis (Looks like it's shelf paper)

I think it sounds fun to let him design his own ski :-) Show us the before and after please!

Just what I wanted to know.
I was thinking of maybe first spray the front with gold. Then attach a decal or something in his name and some lines/scribbles - and then spray with black.

One more issue...... I will of course need to remove the bindings for this. Is this pretty straight-forward, if I make sure the holes don't get clogged by the paint, or is there something to consider when re-mounting the bindings in the same holes?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just what I wanted to know.
I was thinking of maybe first spray the front with gold. Then attach a decal or something in his name and some lines/scribbles - and then spray with black.

One more issue...... I will of course need to remove the bindings for this. Is this pretty straight-forward, if I make sure the holes don't get clogged by the paint, or is there something to consider when re-mounting the bindings in the same holes?

I think I'd put a plastic bag or saran wrap over the bindings and spray paint around them..
Much easier than dealing with taking apart..

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To avoid the binding removal I used some oil based paint markers on my daughter’s skis. It’s not a complete cover of the original graphics but made them look “new” for her. They did require occasional touch ups but I already had the paint markers so it was pretty easy to just color in where the paint had gotten scratched.

Attachments

• 64F36892-8D32-4D4A-B38A-3525E972432A.jpeg
    64F36892-8D32-4D4A-B38A-3525E972432A.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 35

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
To avoid the binding removal I used some oil based paint markers on my daughter’s skis. It’s not a complete cover of the original graphics but made them look “new” for her. They did require occasional touch ups but I already had the paint markers so it was pretty easy to just color in where the paint had gotten scratched.

That looks great - and I hve the paint markers. But the foil on the skis is so damaged that it would be impossible to make a straight line without sanding them down first. And then I could as well cover it up.
But the markers are a great idea for embellishing after the first paint job.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Ok. Last night the 7yo and I almost agreed on the design; The skis are spray painted shiny black and then I'll order gold stickers - one with his name for the front part and some flames for the back.

And some sad before-pictures (although they are evidence of many, many fun hours on the slopes.......)

IMG_E2062.JPGIMG_E2060.JPGIMG_E2061.JPG

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the day, we had transparent protection 'tape' for our ski tops. It was called ski skin, but that means something else entirely now.

Look for some auto paint protection adhesive products. No idea what it is called in Canada. Friends use it to protect their bumper from dog nails when the dog jumps in.

The film may be enough to protect the paint from scratches after the decals go on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly