• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Head Total Joy 2020 vs. 2019?

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, newbie to forums here, glad to be part of this group.

I'm a newly advanced skier wanting to upgrade my kit, and I'm looking at the Head Total Joys. But I could really use some advice about what model to buy.

I accidentally demo'ed the 2019-20 models in December (they're what I just happened to rent) and I loved them! However, I've been looking at the 2018-19 models for sale, and they're about half the $700-900 price of the new models (including bindings). I had a really hard time finding info, even on the Head website, about what's different between the models -- the Karuba wood core seems to be the main thing, and I don't know much about how much difference something like that can make.

Has anyone comparison-skied the 2019s (or earlier) and the 2020s? Or have enough understanding of skis to enlighten me about the differences? Hoping for any Diva wisdom y'all can share.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demo'd the 2018-19 and 2019-20 Joy line (Absolute, Total, and Super Joys) as I was shopping for my first pair of skis last year. I know Head redesigned the line for 2020, but I didn't feel a huge difference between the 2018-19 and 2019-20s. The "profile" of each ski in the line is basically the same. I must caveat that I am not as experienced as other Divas, but I did demo a LOT of skis last year and was able to discern significant differences between skis. I'm a low intermediate skier and went with the Absolute Joys.

I think if you can get the 2018/19 Total Joys for cheap enough, you'll probably be happy with them. I found my 2018-19 Absolute Joys with bindings new on eBay for sub $200. I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I am skiing the 2018-2019 white/blue Total Joys. I love them and would consider myself an advanced intermediate- getting pretty comfortable on diamonds, learning to carve etc. I have not tried the 2020 model.

newboots

Angel Diva
I can't offer information on the skis, but I stopped by to say we're glad you joined us! Keep asking questions! We love to talk about all things skiing.

:thumbsup: :welcome: :thumbsup:

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
I have the 2020 model. Did not try the 2018-19. I don’t think there is a difference other than the color and design. They’re great skis. I’m an intermediate, medium speed skier. (mostly blues and some diamonds). Can’t recommend these skies enough!

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone. If others have more to share, I'd still love input, but based on what folks have said so far I'm feeling better about the 2018-19's that I'm now leaning toward.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome @Slayer ! I have the Absolut Joys from a few years ago. I'm a petite older skier. Demo'd the Total Joys and liked them too. But have another pair of skis that are all-mountain so opted to buy the AJs.

As far as I know, there isn't any difference in design between the AJs you are considering. I usually have bought skis a year or two behind the latest model year, often during the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna