• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado 19-20

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting to read that Keystone used to be part of the "open first" group back in the 1980s and 1990s. That was before snowmaking became crucial for early season top-to-bottom coverage in Colorado.

Oct. 2, 2019, The Denver Post
Arapahoe Basin, Keystone start making snow, with a rival not far behind. Which will open first?
Keystone wants back in the race to be first Colorado ski area to open.
" . . .
Keystone hasn’t been the first Front Range ski area to open since 1997, and it hasn’t opened in October since 2001, but there was a time when it competed annually for opening day spoils. In the 1980s and ’90s, before Arapahoe Basin installed snowmaking, the battle was an annual duel between Keystone and Loveland. From 1982 through 2001, Loveland was first to open 10 times and Keystone was first 10 times, although three of Keystone’s wins were photo finishes when both areas opened on the same day and Keystone used its lights to open before sunrise, getting a jump on Loveland by two or three hours in the quest for bragging rights.

Then in 2002, Arapahoe Basin installed snowmaking equipment. From 2003 through last year, Arapahoe Basin was the first Front Range area to open nine times, Loveland was first five times and they tied twice. Wolf Creek, a small area 250 miles from Denver in southern Colorado, actually beat both of them four times since 2011, thanks to ample early natural snowfall.
. . ."

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have read about traffic jams on I-70 during the winter. But was more interesting to find that a group is trying to work on making it easier in general for wildlife to cross the highway in the Vail Pass region. It's called Summit County Safe Passages. Vail Resorts and Copper are listed as sponsors. The goal is to come up with a plan for underpasses and overpasses that deer, elk, and other big animals can use to cross the road. Better for the animals and better for the drivers because it will decrease the likelihood of accidents. Over 3000 wildlife-vehicle accidents are reported annually, with probably a similar number unreported.

https://www.summitcountysafepassages.org/about/safe-passages/

View attachment 11226
CDOT and Colorado Parks and Wildlife has completed this project on route 9, between Silverthorne and Kremmling, on the way to Steamboat. The pictures are wonderful. Didn't think about the little guys, skunks and rabbits, trying to make the crossing too.

https://cpw.state.co.us/hwy9

Jilly

Staff member
Alberta has done a wonderful job on this. I wish I'd taken a picture on Friday. There are wildlife overpasses and traffic goes into a tunnel. Fences are all along the roadway to keep the big animals off the road.

marzNC

Angel Diva
CDOT and Colorado Parks and Wildlife has completed this project on route 9, between Silverthorne and Kremmling, on the way to Steamboat. The pictures are wonderful. Didn't think about the little guys, skunks and rabbits, trying to make the crossing too.

https://cpw.state.co.us/hwy9
The videos and pictures are really helpful to see how the wildlife use the structures. Should have plenty of data since the projects on this stretch of road were completed in 2016.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, A-Basin is opening this afternoon for a few hours, Keystone opens tomorrow, and Loveland is close behind. Ski season is here. :smile:

Al's Blog post:
https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/10/we-are-opening-today.html

"The race to be the first to open in Colorado and the country is always a treat. Vail has announced that Keystone is opening tomorrow. I know Loveland is right on their tail. Congratulations to both resorts.

We are proud to announce that we will open Black Mountain Express today, Friday, October 11, from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM."

I guess A-Basin REALLY didn't want to lose to Keystone this year. I think one of the comments on the blog post says it best: "this is so petty. love to see it." :smile:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only ski area that has beat A-Basin the last few years is Wolf Creek. They want to keep their record going. Way to go A-Basin.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
$15 lift tickets if you don't have a pass, $5.00 beer and some food. Awesome gift to the locals.

A-Basin probably didn't get much more than $15 from Vail when they were on the Epic pass. With Keystone opening I imagine early season will be much quieter this year.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am laughing so hard!! Totes agree with, “this is so petty - love to see it.”

As an Epic pass holder, I’m personally bummed that A Basin left the Vail partnership but I don’t blame them and this is frickin’ hilarious. Also, not really a Keystone fan and it just seems wrong that they should get the first-open nod.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I skied A-Basin on Saturday and the lack of crowds was amazing. If this is the new early season A-Basin experience, sign me up.

I skied Keystone on Sunday and it was full, but not "I'm risking my life by being here" crowded. I do have to say that, while the terrain they have open is a green, the quality of the WROD was overall better.

A+ opening weekend all around. Psyched for ski season.
clear.png
:smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Steamboat will be able to do as much snowmaking as they would like after the storm coming in the next few days. Temps are going to be plenty cool enough. Opening day is Nov. 23, 2019. I'm not getting to Steamboat until mid-Feb, but of course will be paying attention to snow conditions long before that. :snow:

The Early Season 3-Day pass for $169 is good Nov. 23 thru Dec. 20. Deadline to purchase is Oct. 31.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC -- Have you skied Steamboat before? Was that altitude ok for you?
The only time I skied Steamboat was back in the 1990s. It was a quick trip and I don't remember having any altitude issues. The elevation is just under 7000 ft. Given that I can handle going straight to Alta, which is at 8000 ft., I don't expect to have any issues. Plus I'll have been skiing for over a week by the time I get to Steamboat.

One of the reasons I'm curious to check out Steamboat is that it's at a lower elevation. Plus I can get timeshare lodging if I plan way in advance.

@NewEnglandSkier has more experience at Steamboat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna