• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your best fitness tip, pose, exercise, activity

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A combo of weight training and cardio is best for me, I've found. The cardio, however, should be done as interval training. Going for 60 or even 90 minutes at a pace below anaerobic threshold won't do nearly as much good as 45 minutes of interval training that takes you back and forth across the threshold. I also like to ensure that I never get a full recovery during that period.

As far as weight goes, nothing seems to work post-menopause. I'm struggling to get it off even with exercise and a good, healthy diet. I haven't had wine since the beginning of June. You'd think that would count for SOMETHING, but no. I need to start doing more than one workout a day I think. There is too much sitting at the office.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For cardio that is natural HIIT, I like indoor rock climbing. Don't have to do more than a 5.6 or 5.7 for cardio. Not interested in working at climbing like I do for skiing. Totally in awe of my daughter who is doing 5.11 climbs now. Of course, like her skiing she has the advantage that I introduced her to the sport before she was a tween.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A combo of weight training and cardio is best for me, I've found. The cardio, however, should be done as interval training. Going for 60 or even 90 minutes at a pace below anaerobic threshold won't do nearly as much good as 45 minutes of interval training that takes you back and forth across the threshold. I also like to ensure that I never get a full recovery during that period.

As far as weight goes, nothing seems to work post-menopause. I'm struggling to get it off even with exercise and a good, healthy diet. I haven't had wine since the beginning of June. You'd think that would count for SOMETHING, but no. I need to start doing more than one workout a day I think. There is too much sitting at the office.
If you want to lose weight 15-20 minutes of interval training is probably better. As counterintuitive as it sounds much more than that causes increased cortisol production and other stress hormones that assist in keeping the fluff on and adding more. Even CrossFit will have a 4 minute or so break between a 12 minute metcon and maybe another 4-8 minute Metcon. Occasionally you will see a long 18 minute but not regularly.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a great workout yesterday at a fitness class and kept thinking that everything we did will be great for skiing strength and balance. We did various types of lunges with and without skid plates, a few poses for balance that were challenging, and a good amount of core work in addition to cardio. It didn't seem too intense on paper, and nothing on its own was terribly difficult* but the sum was a really great workout that has left me incredibly sore today, but in a way that makes me want to stick with it for the core strength, flexibility, and balance.

*Except that I am awkward and un-stretchy, and the mirrors revealed my poses and moves to be stiff and constricted. I corrected quite a bit throughout and am really motivated to improve.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for the northern hemisphere off-season before we get to pre-season for 2019-20.

My personal trainer discovered free videos by a Canadian woman who has been a trainer for over two decades. She uses TRX for HIIT. Also has written a few blog articles that reflect her journey into middle age (she's over 40). A few years ago she developed back pain, mostly likely from overtraining on a daily basis (no rest day!). Last year she came up with a Top Five list that includes something I've mentioned a few times. The idea is that "less is more." For me, that means I try to spend a few minutes every day doing 1-leg balance stuff but don't worry if I don't do deliberate cardio work year round. I plan on spending time for ski conditioning sessions in the late spring/early summer, and then again in the fall for 6-8 weeks, meaning 2-3 times a week for 30-60 minutes.

This summer my goal is to focus on flexibility, especially hips, and hamstrings. Of the key factors for skiing, which is your top priority for this summer out of balance, flexibility, core strength, cardio (endurance), power (leg strength)?

Anyone interested in a separate thread for HIIT ideas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
My emphasis this summer has been core strength and leg strength. Hopefully some endurance will seep in with the classes I do since HIIT is involved, but cardio has always been a challenge for me, I really hate it..

I would be interested in HIIT ideas in another thread. Especially ones that aren’t insanely hard for those of us that are cardio challenged! :rolleyes: I’ve always hated HIIT due to the cardio aspect, but grudgingly admit that I get so much out of it when I make myself do it..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'll go with balance, flexibility, and core strength. Cardio and leg strength pretty good.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would be interested in HIIT ideas in another thread. Especially ones that aren’t insanely hard for those of us that are cardio challenged! :rolleyes: I’ve always hated HIIT due to the cardio aspect, but grudgingly admit that I get so much out of it when I make myself do it..
Started a thread about HIIT. Fair to say that I don't do any workout that is insanely hard. My goal is to figure out how to exercise on a regular basis, as opposed to avoiding the next workout because it would be too much effort. :smile:

Working on cardio to improve endurance with HIIT, good or bad? Any tips?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
out of balance, flexibility, core strength, cardio (endurance), power (leg strength)?

Cardio and leg strength are important of course, but of these 4, right now my priorities are flexibility and core. I workout at home, do Pilates once a week, and do particular stretches at work to that end.

marzNC

Angel Diva
do Pilates once a week
I liked the Pilates class I took at the first fitness center I joined. But my current gym doesn't offer Pilates. Every so often I try to do the mat Pilates sequence in this video. Definitely helps to have done a class with an instructor to learn the basic principles. Later on my trainer had me try some Pilates moves using the TRX. I decided that combination doesn't work for me.

The instructor is an older woman who has been full-time ski instructor at Vail for a quite a while and teaches Pilates during the off-season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For people unfamiliar with Pilates, here's a 30-min workout with good explanations. Picking up Pilates is probably easier for people who took dance classes (modern, ballet) at some point. Although getting into the proper breathing rhythm takes a little practice.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The instructor is an older woman who has been full-time ski instructor at Vail for a quite a while and teaches Pilates during the off-season.
Was curious if Malin Johnsdotter was still teaching. Pretty clear she is still teaching Pilates and skiing. Apparently started teaching at Vail in 1986. She was named as of of the top 100 ski instructors by SKI magazine according to a 2005 article. She's in her mid-70s. I don't think she's going to slow down any time soon.

This 2019 video shows her using some of the Pilates equipment and working with a senior woman.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For cardio that is natural HIIT, I like indoor rock climbing. Don't have to do more than a 5.6 or 5.7 for cardio. Not interested in working at climbing like I do for skiing.
I guess I was right about rock climbing. Here are a couple articles about indoor rock climbing, in particular bouldering in relation to cardio and HIIT. While I don't do bouldering much, doing 2-3 relatively easy routes from bottom to top without a pause during the climb and a short rest in between sure feels like HIIT.

Feb 2018, Eldowalls Climbing Gym
Rock Climbing—How does it fit into top fitness trends of 2018?

Feb 2018, Time
Why Rock Climbing May Be the Ultimate Full-Body Workout

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly