• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2019 Summer biking goals

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't realize mine were discontinued until I needed one for my new bike. Couldn't find any extras. One bike shop said there were other brands that sell small saddles. Hope he's right.

I rode a friend's bike this past weekend that had a new women's MTB saddle from WTB called the Koda. I really liked it. The rear part was slightly wider than the saddles I'm used to and it was flat from end to end rather than curved down. The nose was a bit shorter than standard as well. I'm going to get one for this summer and will be putting in long miles on it, so will get a better feel for it.

newboots

Angel Diva
If I can manage to register before it sells out, I plan to do the Vermont 50 mountain bike race this year.

Wow, look at the lane with cows grazing on each side, everything green. Is that what it’s like in the summer? I can’t remember.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I just turned 50 this year and couldn't agree with you more about the lack of age divisions being discouraging. The Vermont 50 has a great set of category divisions; I'll compete in the 45-54 age group and can choose from novice, sport, and expert categories. It seems like an arrangement that creates the most level possible playing field and a true incentive to compete. I wonder if enough feedback to other races might create a set of better expectations for race directors.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I just turned 50 this year and couldn't agree with you more about the lack of age divisions being discouraging. The Vermont 50 has a great set of category divisions; I'll compete in the 45-54 age group and can choose from novice, sport, and expert categories. It seems like an arrangement that creates the most level possible playing field and a true incentive to compete. I wonder if enough feedback to other races might create a set of better expectations for race directors.
I have a friend who is originally from that area (the one I might race duo with this year) who has been tossing around entering that race. :becky:

I think one issue here is lack of participation, if you can believe that. I say, maybe more would participate if we had more incentive (level playing field.) The race I'm entering has two course lengths, so, essentially beginner and sport (I'm doing sport) but no breakdown by age. I say, why not?

There's a pretty popular race series that covers enduro and CC that runs all summer at various locations in N. Utah, and it also does not have age divisions. Yeah, maybe it's time I start squawking more.

On a more fun note, the Senior Games is in St. George, and they start at age 50. I am seriously considering entering!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rode a friend's bike this past weekend that had a new women's MTB saddle from WTB called the Koda. I really liked it. The rear part was slightly wider than the saddles I'm used to and it was flat from end to end rather than curved down. The nose was a bit shorter than standard as well. I'm going to get one for this summer and will be putting in long miles on it, so will get a better feel for it.

Looks like a nice saddle. Here's a review. https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/wtb-koda-team-saddle

I have a new WTB Deva stashed in the basement. For years I was uncomfortable with my saddles even when I had properly fitting bikes. Now I know why. I was using women's saddles that were 145-150 mm wide. When I was fitted for my Specialized Ruby saddle for my road bike my correct saddle size came out to be 130 mm wide. I was able to find 2 brand new 130 mm Ruby saddles on line so I think I'll be okay for a while.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
65 miles today, 5,500 ft. of climbing, so I’m at the halfway mark for both distance and elevation gain for the Triple Bypass. I think I’m in pretty good shape given that it’s not until July. I need some high altitude rides - hopefully I can start some of those in May. This is where my biking and skiing goals conflict - I want to ski into May but I want it to get warm in the high country so I can bike up there. Hmmm....

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My "biking goal" is for my thumb, which I fractured riding park two weeks ago on my d/h bike , to be better in time for our ski season which starts mid June.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just heard the rec path at Officer's Gulch may not open until July due to the avalanche damage and deep snow. When is the Triple ByPass?

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
July 13. I guess they’ve re-routed onto I-70 in the past if necessary, which would suck, but hopefully would be a very short detour.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Picked up baby’s first MTB last week, but apparently I don’t have the right rack to transport and need a trailer hitch installed on my car. So, it looks like my first ride isn’t happening this weekend. I found out that REI is having its anniversary sale beginning next Friday so at least I can save money on getting additional gear needed and a fancy tray style bike rack! Dang this sport is expensive.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picked up baby’s first MTB last week, but apparently I don’t have the right rack to transport and need a trailer hitch installed on my car. So, it looks like my first ride isn’t happening this weekend. I found out that REI is having its anniversary sale beginning next Friday so at least I can save money on getting additional gear needed and a fancy tray style bike rack! Dang this sport is expensive.

Can you not fit your bike inside the car just for this weekend? Seems a bummer not to get out and ride for lack of a rack.

Fwiw, I like my relatively-inexpensive roof rack (Kuat Trio) even though "serious" bike people are down on roof racks. .It's solidly-built, the bikes are very secure, and there's a handy integrated cable lock. I don't have to worry about getting rear-ended and wrecking my bike, and I think it accumulates less road grime up top. I do have to take the front wheel off to transport it, though, and of course you have to have crossbars to use it. (And a car that's low enough to reach the roof).

MissySki

Angel Diva

Yay, exciting that you found your first bike!!! Boo on the rack though..

I have a rack on my roof that you don't need to remove any wheels to use, so that part is great, but I kind of hate lifting it on and off of the roof. I can do it, but it's definitely not easy to reach it all up over my head. So I've been thinking about getting something for the back of my car instead to make it easier, we'll see.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
The reason most folks don't like roof racks anymore is that many cars are just too high to load a bike easily. I've had a Yakima Cobra on my Mazda for years. The car is low to the ground so short little me can load it as long as I keep up my weight training.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Yay, exciting that you found your first bike!!! Boo on the rack though..

I have a rack on my roof that you don't need to remove any wheels to use, so that part is great, but I kind of hate lifting it on and off of the roof. I can do it, but it's definitely not easy to reach it all up over my head. So I've been thinking about getting something for the back of my car instead to make it easier, we'll see.

My 6’4” husband and I talked about getting a roof bike rack but ultimately decided that the risk of scratching up my car or the bikes would be too great. I’m 5’2” and it would be super challenging for me to be able to load and unload. But, trailer hitch has been ordered, and I signed up for a women’s beginner clinic that’s happening in 2 weekends. Woohoo!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Can you not fit your bike inside the car just for this weekend? Seems a bummer not to get out and ride for lack of a rack.

Fwiw, I like my relatively-inexpensive roof rack (Kuat Trio) even though "serious" bike people are down on roof racks. .It's solidly-built, the bikes are very secure, and there's a handy integrated cable lock. I don't have to worry about getting rear-ended and wrecking my bike, and I think it accumulates less road grime up top. I do have to take the front wheel off to transport it, though, and of course you have to have crossbars to use it. (And a car that's low enough to reach the roof).

I’m just too short to load it above my car. It would fit in my car but I worry about it getting too muddy. It’s ok, I can always hike this weekend :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly