• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Please buy these so I don't have to.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Enjoy your new skis, @alr ! I hope you can post an update on how you like (love) them.

Reactions: alr

skiboykin

Diva in Training
I'm looking at these in the 154. I am a beginner/early intermediate skier living in Colorado now, near two resorts and a local icy-ish ski hill. I'm 5'6 about 135 lbs and I am looking to make some tight turns and get comfortable on some skis. Would the 154s be too short for my height and weight or would they help me keep good solid control of the skis? Thanks!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm looking at these in the 154. I am a beginner/early intermediate skier living in Colorado now, near two resorts and a local icy-ish ski hill. I'm 5'6 about 135 lbs and I am looking to make some tight turns and get comfortable on some skis. Would the 154s be too short for my height and weight or would they help me keep good solid control of the skis? Thanks!
I think 154 would be too short for you in this particular model ski. If you're looking to improve/advance, your better bet would be to get on something in the 80-85 width range. These are 95. They're lovely, compliant skis, but I'm thinking about your intent to advance, and these are pretty high end.

skiboykin

Diva in Training
I think 154 would be too short for you in this particular model ski. If you're looking to improve/advance, your better bet would be to get on something in the 80-85 width range. These are 95. They're lovely, compliant skis, but I'm thinking about your intent to advance, and these are pretty high end.

I suppose I should say I'm looking to stay in the same skis for a while and grow into them, not just get super beginner skis and want to get new ones. Is the width too wide for my skill level you think?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I suppose I should say I'm looking to stay in the same skis for a while and grow into them, not just get super beginner skis and want to get new ones. Is the width too wide for my skill level you think?
Width isn't an indication of what skill level a ski is suited to. There are plenty of narrow skis that cater to VERY advanced skiers/skiing. I'm thinking of the appropriate width for you to develop good edging and steering skills, and there are many skis in the 80-85 width category that would be more appropriate. Hopefully, others might chime in with suggestions.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree going these may be a bit wide for what you are looking for. I've been skiing Volkl Yumi's 161 (I'm 5"4", 155 lbs). The Yumi's are 84mm in width. We've been having spring conditions down here in Virginia and they have done great in the variable, soft snow as well as the hard pack. They may be worth a demo.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
You should be good. I'm a little heavier and a more technical skier. Mine are 171 I think. Had them out on Friday.
So, the online store convinced me to buy the Marker Griffen with 90mm brake for this ski, but the shop I brought them to for mounting convinced me to change to a 110mm brake as they weren't fond of bending the brake that much. The brake looks too wide on this ski... I am sure it is okay, but I will see on Saturday when I take them out for a spin.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I stuck with the Atomic Warden for mine. It was meant for this ski.
Live and learn on bindings... I am no longer worried about length. They are really no longer than my old Nordicas and most certainly have a shorter effective edge due to Atomic Vantage's rocker. Also the bindings do retract in and go pretty high up so they will be out of the way when I am in them.IMG_9039.JPG

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Quick first impressions of the Atomic Vantage 95C: In short, I think they will really grow on me. I only skied them on groomer greens, blues, and a groomed black at Pat's Peak, while following my 6 year old, so I wasn't skiing at my own pace or style. There was one moment that I noticed I my form was lacking on my left turn on a really gentle green (I wasn't putting much forward pressure on my downhill boot/shin), anyway, I did something odd and spun around and went down gently with no release of ski binding. I thought that was a bit weird. But I liken it to the fact I have gotten used to driving round very heavy, damp, stable skis (the Nordicas), and these are lighter and perhaps a bit more lively, so react a bit differently. But I can say, even though these are 95 underfoot, I have no trouble getting them on edge, which is nice. I look forward to seeing how they will work for me in ungroomed snow and on some moguls.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay. So I got the 162's. :becky:
They arrived today. Pretty. Bindings arrive tomorrow. Off to mount on Fri.
Why 162 when I already have the 170? Because DH got a hold of the 170 (men's version), and has usurped. I did ski them yesterday, and they're fine, but I'm "downsizing" - both for size and number of skis.
Thanks for the link! I might not have come upon it without this "nudge."

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I look forward to seeing how they will work for me in ungroomed snow and on some moguls.
They do very, very well. I don't do much with moguls anymore at this stage of my life (unless unforeseen/necessary), but I had the 170's in 6" of fresh and then tracked up yesterday. Bit of a long ski for me - but they were lovely. I demo'd the original issue several years ago, and it was only available in a 170. I was wildly surprised at how easy it was to ski. Thus my (now double) ownership. :smile:

Reactions: alr

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay - Atomic Vantage 95C (W) 162 are mounted and ready to roll. Tomorrow will be first test day. DH skied the 170 C today, forgot to crank down the bindings (from my DIN) - and promptly skied out of them in some chunder. I have not tested the 162, got them on a hunch (and for a dime!). Here's hoping...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Atomic 95C (w) 162 - extremely nice ski! Good rebound. Guess I've been on damper skis lately, so that was a fun surprise. Great on soft, even mushy snow. : ) Two thumbs up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly