• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do I choose bindings?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have access to pro form binding purchase online but I have no idea how to select them. The skis I am buying are 96 underfoot. What do I need to look for? Can someone make a recommendation? I am 5'4k #125, level 3 skier and DIN is set at 5.5. Can anyone help? I think I have access to most brands.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am not an expert for sure ... but, the key is making sure that the brakes are no more than 10 mm wider than the ski so somewhere in the 100 mm range would be good. It's possible to buy new brakes but easier to get it right the first time. I have the same DIN as you and have bindings that go to 13 on one pair of skis and only to 10 on another. From what the shop guys told me, it doesn't matter as long as your number is within the range of the binding. I thought it was bad to be good close to the bottom number, but they said that didn't matter. I would avoid the Marker royal family (Dukes, Griffins, Squires) as they all have a history of being difficult to step into. I know some ladies have not had a problem, but it does seem to be pretty widespread. Other than that, I don't think it matters. All the bindings now are really good. I know that I bought the Tyrolia Attack 13s instead of the 11s because I read somewhere that there was a problem with the ramp angle. I think @contesstant might have been the one who mentioned that.

ETA. not all bindings accept the grip walk soles so if you have that kind of boot, double check. Also look at the weight as there is considerable difference in the binding weights. I usually don't worry about it, but it does affect how the skis feel hanging on the chair lift.

Here is a link to a pretty good overview by level 9 sports. https://www.levelninesports.com/learn-center/gear-education/ski-bindings

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Did re-read them carefully, but here are a couple relatively recent threads about bindings that might be useful.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-confuzzled-about-bindings.22286/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-the-right-bindings.21474/

When I bought my all-mountain skis (85mm) at Taos a couple seasons ago, they were demo skis with Marker bindings. I'd skied them for a couple days so knew how easy, or not, the binding were for me to get into. I opted to change out the bindings even though the discount was less for other bindings. The suggestions included Salomon and Look. I went with the Look binding. Also a bit lighter to carry in the parking lot.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Attack 11s do have considerably more ramp angle than the 13s. Bonus is the 13s come with a 95mm brake, which would work great with a 96mm ski. Not sure if the Attack 12s have the same brake width or not.

I have Attacks on everything now. They are SO easy to click into, and are relatively flat. I ended up putting toe shims under the Attack 11s to match them to the 12s and 13s I have. 12s and 13s are the same binding, from what I've been told.

BF shop tech says that Tyrolia's are one of the most consistent brands for testing right out of the box, and that they maintain that over the years that they are on the ski. Others (below) not so much. Funny, his shop doesn't even carry Tyrolia (much to my dismay!)

The Marker Royal bindings have a deserved reputation of being REALLY difficult to click into, especially for those of us with short BSLs. I have NO idea if the newer versions are better. My last pair were two years ago on some Kenjas.

I think Look bindings are even flatter than Tyrolia. They are also a solid choice.

And, did you pick a ski??!!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Look Pivots for the heel release and the promise of increased knee protection. They're fussy though when it comes to making sure your boots are clean of snow...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I put Look Pivots on my Z-90's recommended by ski maker Renoun and like @MrsPlow said the increased knee protection. I bought mine Via the "Pro form"

I have Griffons on my old Black pearls. I'm not a light weight and i have Jump on them to get into them horrible if you take off in deep powder. I would never ever recommend them!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How hard are Griffons to step into compared to the Marker comps that are on Volkl race skis? I find that I have to give my heel a decent shove to get into those while the Attack 13s on a different ski I just step right in easily....as long as my pants dont get caught.
I have a set of the Griffin that I bought and have just laying around for a ski to put them on

mustski

Angel Diva
Griffins have a reputation for being about the hardest binding out there for stepping into. I personally have only tried the Squires, but I had to jump up and down on those to lock them in. I will never buy royal family again although I have loved previous generations of marker bindings - including on binding system skis. I have all Tyrolia or Rossi bindings now.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, brakes are easy enough to swap out. So if you wind up with a binding that isn't available with the brake size that you need, it's pretty easy to get those swapped out. Best is ski width to 5mm wider. 10 is stretching it. Even brakes that are right at the ski width can be bent out slightly.

I'm a fan of Tyrolia Attack series, although I have skis with multiple other brands. Tyrolias seem to have the smoothest click-in-out action.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Attack 11s do have considerably more ramp angle than the 13s. Bonus is the 13s come with a 95mm brake, which would work great with a 96mm ski. Not sure if the Attack 12s have the same brake width or not.

All I can find is the stand height is 17mm on the 12 and 13 and the stand height on the 11 is 21mm. Where do you find the stats for the ramp angle? I thought stand height was the height of the binding off the ski but would be the same for toe and heel. Is that correct?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless they've changed from two seasons ago, I'm going solely based on my own experience with both. But I know there are stats out there from two years ago that show the heel height being approx. 4mm higher on the 11s vs the 12/13s in relation to the toe piece.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Unless they've changed from two seasons ago, I'm going solely based on my own experience with both. But I know there are stats out there from two years ago that show the heel height being approx. 4mm higher on the 11s vs the 12/13s in relation to the toe piece.

I am sure there is a difference in ramp angle in the Attack 11 vs 12 and 13. That said, I can only find hits on people talking about the increased ramp angle on the 11, but I can’t find any stats from Tyrolia, or anyone else for that matter, that lists the ramp angle. Frustrating!

mustski

Angel Diva
Here is an article that generalizes a bit but seems to have a fair comparison of delta angles between manufacturers. From what I have read, delta angle is a much bigger deal for someone like @contesstant who wears a really small size boot. The smaller the boot, the more dramatic the delta angle for the same binding. It is frustrating that manufacturers don't list that info. Ski techs have the info and can adjust accordingly.
https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2013-09-09-17-07-34/ski-binding-delta-angles.html

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am sure there is a difference in ramp angle in the Attack 11 vs 12 and 13. That said, I can only find hits on people talking about the increased ramp angle on the 11, but I can’t find any stats from Tyrolia, or anyone else for that matter, that lists the ramp angle. Frustrating!
Paging @SnowHot she will know!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This is interesting enough to copy and paste:

Here's the binding delta angles for the different binding manufacturers:
Marker Duke/Baron/Tour 0mm (with alpine boots)
Marker Duke/Baron/Tour +6mm (with AT boots)
Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm
Head/Tyrolia/Fischer +3mm
Marker Jester/Griffon+4mm
Look/Rossi/VIST +5mm
Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS +5mm (only flat with their 5mm toe shims)
Dynafit Radical Speed/ST/FT +15mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)
Dynafit Radical ST/FT +12mm (with Tecnica Cochise boot)
Dynafit Beast 16 +6mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
This is interesting enough to copy and paste:

Here's the binding delta angles for the different binding manufacturers:
Marker Duke/Baron/Tour 0mm (with alpine boots)
Marker Duke/Baron/Tour +6mm (with AT boots)
Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm
Head/Tyrolia/Fischer +3mm
Marker Jester/Griffon+4mm
Look/Rossi/VIST +5mm
Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS +5mm (only flat with their 5mm toe shims)
Dynafit Radical Speed/ST/FT +15mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)
Dynafit Radical ST/FT +12mm (with Tecnica Cochise boot)
Dynafit Beast 16 +6mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)
This is a nice overall look at general ramp angle by brand. That said, this doesn’t address my curiousity about differences in ramp angle within the same brand. Tyrolia is listed as +3mm but the word is the Tyrolia Attack 11 has a decent amount more ramp angle than the Tyrolia Attack 12 and 13.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a nice overall look at general ramp angle by brand. That said, this doesn’t address my curiousity about differences in ramp angle within the same brand. Tyrolia is listed as +3mm but the word is the Tyrolia Attack 11 has a decent amount more ramp angle than the Tyrolia Attack 12 and 13.
It does, I want to say about 4mm, but I'd have to measure mine to be sure. Also, not sure for the current models, and the shop I have access to doesn't carry them. I know, I'm a lot of help! I just know that the 11s DO have quite a bit more ramp than the 12s and 13s. I did shim the toe of the 11s (which I have on my Black Pearls.) It's a 3 or 4mm shim.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I 100% agree with staying away from Marker Griffon binding. I demo'd a pair last year and they were really hard to step into. I'm almost 5'8" and weigh about 170# with above average leg strength and they were still ridiculously hard to step into on hard packed snow. I ended up buying Look SPX12 binding and absolutely love love love them. Apparently, everyone I talked with in the ski shops run Look bindings too... #ITrustLook! I have no idea what official level skier I am, but would describe myself as mid to advanced intermediate.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'll be the voice of dissent on the Marker family.. I've always been surprised at how much trouble others have described having with them because that has never been my experience. Though I now use Tyrollia Attacks on my new skis due to the lower ramp angle, I do still have several skis with both the Griffin and Squire bindings from a ways back. I've never had any problems stepping into mine in any conditions including soft snow. I do think the Attacks require absolutely no effort to lock into while the others take a little more pressure, but nothing significant and certainly nothing that's ever deterred me in that regard. I'm 5'4" 130lbs and wear a 24.5 boot.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm going to x2 @MissySki 's comment on Griffins. I love the way Marker bindings ski (specifically the Griffin). Two years ago I debated long and hard (way more than I should have) on putting Griffin's on my new La Nina's. I'm glad I tried them for myself, as they've been working out great. Yes, they take a bit more force to get into them (compared to the Attack's, which take little to no effort), but I like the solid connection that they make when you're in them.

Edit: FYI, I'm in a 23.5 boot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna