• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: The unicorn of skiing - a goggle for flat light. Does it exist?

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
I am on a mission to find a goggle with lenses work best in flat light. I usually wear Smith Chromapop Storm lenses but they don't provide enough contrast for those days when the light is flat or I'm skiing in a storm. I find that if I wear my polarized sunglasses under my goggles, I can see the terrain much better than with the goggles alone. Not only is that uncomfortable, I end up with "HTIMS" stamped on my forehead from having the goggles tight enough to hold my sunglasses on! Does anyone have any recommendations for a flat light lens/goggle system that provides enough contrast in flat light? Thanks!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Spy Bravo with "Happy Yellow with Green Spectra" lens that serves me pretty well on stormy and flat days. They look to others like they are dark lenses, but light transmission is pretty high. (50%?) Probably not as good as polarized lenses, but could be worth a try.

https://www.shadesemporium.com/sunglasses/Spy-Goggles/BRAVO-LENSES/110541

The "Happy" lenses do make me feel like I have a better sense of the terrain.

I wonder why polarizing is not a thing with snow goggles? I mean, skiers and snowboarders are already pretty polarized...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was recommended the blue sensor lens for the Smith IO/S goggles for flat light. Finally found some on eBay. Supposedly these are the "bomb" for flat light. Guess I'll find out.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m following too. I have a really small head/face which makes finding gogs a PIA on a good day. I have the Smith Virtue (and another pair or two that are less comfortable) and haven’t found the perfect lens yet. I sail with polarized sunglasses which makes it easier to see the wind on the water. I’ve wondered why there aren’t pulverized goggles. In the spring I will wear my sunglasses on the slopes. But when it’s cold I want the extra insulation.

kiki

Angel Diva
I have the Abom goggles with resolution red lenses. They help a lot. Much better than my prior smith i/o goggles.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After many years in Smith goggles I happily transitioned to the Dragon goggle with the yellow transition lenses. The best photochromatic lens I've ever tried..hated other brands. They help up to 200 days of abuse which is pretty good in my book.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
I would also keep in mind that as we age, our ability to see well in flat light diminishes. Not to say some lenses don't work better than others, but just have realistic expectations.
Aww, rats! I thought we were all supposed to be getting better with age! :smile:

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the input and advice, Divas! I'm going to be checking out all your suggestions in the next few weeks and I'll let you know which googles I pick.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Oakley Flight Deck XMs with the Rose Prizm lenses, and do like them very much in flat light. There are quite a few reviews out there on the Rose Prizm, the majority very positive. They are far better than the yellow or amber lenses I've tried. I also have the Torch Iridium for partly sunny days, and the black for bluebird occasions. Love the wide visibility field.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly