• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really I think its too early for this post, as I hope to get in maybe just a few more ski days....
first harvest of purple and green peas and beans.....
(notice there aren't as many peas..... they don't make it to the house)...
20180517_165356_resized.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
I planted some annuals last weekend. Really taking a chance for Michigan, but the local meteorologist said he was going to plant his, so I figure I should be safe! Not supposed to get below 50 for another week, last I checked.

BTW, I think I missed my chance for cutting back my hydrangea that blooms on new wood. If it do it now, even though it has leaves already, all I’d be doing is delaying the bloom, right? Or am I better off leaving it alone? So much for saying I’m better off with things that you cut back in the spring rather than the fall.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I planted some annuals last weekend. Really taking a chance for Michigan, but the local meteorologist said he was going to plant his, so I figure I should be safe! Not supposed to get below 50 for another week, last I checked.

BTW, I think I missed my chance for cutting back my hydrangea that blooms on new wood. If it do it now, even though it has leaves already, all I’d be doing is delaying the bloom, right? Or am I better off leaving it alone? So much for saying I’m better off with things that you cut back in the spring rather than the fall.

I would cut back to where new growth is...you may end up with smaller blooms, but sturdier stalks..which you may find you like better...

Jenny

Angel Diva
I would cut back to where new growth is...you may end up with smaller blooms, but sturdier stalks..which you may find you like better...
Thanks. Trouble is, new growth is everywhere. If I cut it now, it will look awful for a short while, but you're right, I would like sturdier stalks.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not excited about growing flowers, although I do plant some wildflowers and lavender because I love bees and I have some daffodils and snowdrops for some spring colour. I love growing vegetables though (and fruit, but my partner won't eat it so I keep that to a minimum). I have two big raised vegetable beds and a greenhouse (vital in Scotland). This year, I have growing:

Tomatoes (4 varieties)
Bell peppers
Chilli peppers
Garlic
Onions
Leeks
Savoy cabbage
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Lettuce
Spinach
Chard
Carrots
Parsnip
Beets
Turnip
Peas
Sugar snap peas
French beans
Strawberries
Courgette (sorry, zucchini!)
Potatoes (3 varieties)
A selection of herbs

Everything is so late this year though - Scotland is usually behind the rest of the UK anyway, but the cold winter means things are really only just getting going this year - my daffodils are still blooming! Jealous of the peas and bean above, my plants are still only a couple of inches high!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
That;s an impressive list!

I've only one raised bed with 8 varied standard size tomatoes and 3 sweet hundred cherry sized, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, green bell peppers, bush green beans, asparagus beans, pea pods, bibb lettuce, spinach, curly parsley, chives, rosemary with marigolds across the front.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
We have two raised beds, and I would always love more. And I hate lawn care. This year we are growing:

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Peas, Arugula, Dill, Fennel, Summer Squashes, Eggplants, Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers, Parsnips, Carrots, Beets, Garlic, many herbs & edible flowers...

I'm sure I'm missing something but I saved you all by not listing the many varieties of each of the above. We also bought a Meyer's lemon, lime, and fig tree recently and those will be in pots.

I love flowers but my landscaping only consists of native plants because low maintenance and more veggie gardening time. :wink:

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m a nut for flowers, myself. I used to have an enormous garden and planted kale, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and herbs among the flowers. I’m always happy when I grow vegetables, but flowers are a passion!

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I planted a few dwarf phlox plants in a deck railing planter the other day, and my boyfriend asked what they were. His response to my answer of "flowers" was "but we can't eat those..." :rolleyes: I also snuck some zinnias by the house. I do have chamomile, nasturtium, borage, and calendula planted!

alicie

Angel Diva
I have made a flower bed. I have also planted rather a lot of pots. And it’s been super duper sunny the past couple weeks so everything’s rather dry, though i’v ebeen watering them lots but they’re doing well with all the sun.
The flower bed, there was already a small flower bed but I extended quite a bit, so I dug out the turf and put some compost down. It did take me three weeks but considering everything it was good going. I need to find a list of what I have planted.

F0588EE3-0413-4DDE-975F-27A5A6129620.jpeg
44083B4D-E245-4395-90FB-856989F2B18C.jpeg

I ordered rather a lot of bulbs so I bought rather a lot of pots. I’ve got about 15 new ones, all the pots have bulbs in and not all have come through as I didn’t plant them all at once but here’s some that have come through.

D4EA1A01-9E2A-4F8D-A28B-15D1B5E68121.jpeg
ED8BBA7B-ED5A-4E77-A85A-D5E9B4DBC246.jpeg

Attachments

• 5C5599D5-BB40-4F09-B4BB-A97ED378843D.jpeg
    5C5599D5-BB40-4F09-B4BB-A97ED378843D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4

alicie

Angel Diva
Update on my front border. It's very filled now. Got more plants. Planted lots of bulbs and there is various annuals in there too. The annuals I scattered at different times so it's gives more time coverage. I also seem to have developed a coleus and cactus nursery. I've got a good 20 cactuses and 40+ coleus.
20180722_161902.jpg20180722_161921.jpg20180722_161915.jpg20180722_161909.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow, @alicie ! You’ve done a great job! Love it! Soon those nasturtiums will fill out any remaining space.

alicie

Angel Diva
@newboots thanks so many wildflowers and annuals I planted so looking forward to what they are as I’ve forgotten lol, so at least I know what one of them is lol, thanks.

newboots

Angel Diva
Nursery find! In Bridgewater, VT, a woman sells perennials from her farm for $3/plant. Sure, there are plenty of orange daylilies and straggly hosted, but there are HUNDREDS of plants in a large variety. I bought 10 but am regretting ones I didn’t get. I got a big, fat brown-eyed Susan, vanilla flag iris, cranesbill, primrose, Joe Pye Weed, and monarda.

I can’t remember what else!

In other news, monarchs and swallowtails on our milkweed:

F84A3BAA-A8B7-477C-A20B-C31CC3ED8345.jpeg

The monarch is in the shadow.AFA592AE-58E7-4914-8EFC-AA69849BBBBD.jpeg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone's pictures look great! Been a slow Monarch summer here, not sure why.

Love these Hestra Job Gloves - https://hestragloves.com/job/en-us/gloves/garden/72470-garden-dip/240/ Super cheap but work great, come in a variety of sizes. Tag says Nitrile-Dipped Palm which I believe it is despite web site referring to latex.

So its a tomatillo year for me - haven't been successful with them for a few years - these are just two plants taking over one box. Which got me thinking about weather patterns -- see my post on Tomatillos El Nino and Surf and Snow....

tomatillo.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna