• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anxiety

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The crowds freak me out too! This is the reason I don't road bike and only mountain bike.

I am guessing you choose this time of year as it is befire the busy february ski breaks.

I wonder if ski areas in Norway or Sweden would provide the hills you seek with more reapectful crowds?

alicie

Angel Diva
The crowds freak me out too! This is the reason I don't road bike and only mountain bike.

I am guessing you choose this time of year as it is befire the busy february ski breaks.

I wonder if ski areas in Norway or Sweden would provide the hills you seek with more reapectful crowds?

I think it doesn’t help that it’s one week before the World Cup starts. And we chose this week as my dad works away 28 days on 28 days off and it was the only week they had available before half term.

It doesn’t help that the runs are so long, I prefer Austria tbh, shorter runs but people still an issue really. I’ve never been to Sweden but I love Norway but it’s bloody cold there and awkward to get to the ski resorts.

I do love courchevel though, I love the chalet and talking to people and that sort of thing.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I won't be able to verbalize it correctly, but decades of teaching skiing to fearful participants of all ages, some enough to freeze up in a truly dangerous manner, and I am convinced that part of what brings us back to it is a tiny bit of the rush from surviving the experience. Of course, that is rarely the top 1 or 2 or 3 reasons people ski but it is a factor, at least for those of us who feel the fear, which is also a protective emotion. Though anxiety is not...

Glad the boots fit well! :ski2:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other half of the problem is people on green runs (Europe) going too fast, and getting really quite close, which is making me nervous and when I get nervous I go into the back seat. I also find I ski a bit better if the run is less flat, not steep but kinda on the border of a green and blue (again Europe level lol).
I had those same issues in Lech. Runs here are pretty much empty. In Lech every guy wanted to be Franz Klammer. I actually did get hit, not hard and didn't fall, but clipped, because this huge mob of people surrounded me and I tried to pull out of the way and some guy was running the very edge of the trail trying to pass me. That didn't help my confidence at all. At home i can just wait for folks to pass then ski the run, there it was an endless mass in many places. Sure we found some areas that were empty, but they were distant and since I was having stamina issues, distant was a problem. Very depressing, I totally get how you're feeling.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Well today went better. Legs much less tired as I was more forward. I also swapped groups with someone so I could go a bit slower and concentrate on what I was doing. So I did 1.5 hours today. Still very very anxious though.
Cheering you on from the Laurentians. I am so impressed by your determination in the face of anxiety. Do keep us posted.

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I think you are amazing! It is so impressive to me that you keep working on it in spite of your setbacks and anxiety. If I could bring that level of discipline and determination to any project, I would be so proud. You totally rock! Give yourself more time and a some TLC for yourself- you will be a skier, because you already are a skier. You just are not as good as you want to be. Few of us are. You have already inspired me to work harder to get to my goals.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks guys.

today I am gutted though. I woke up and get really quite ill. I feel so sick and I got dizzy and weak half way up the stairs. So no skiing for me today I don’t think.
Sounds like your body is telling you to take a rest day. Glad to hear you had a good day yesterday!

What you said earlier in this thread I can totally identify with— looking forward to something for a long time and then being disappointed when you’re actually doing it. Sometimes when we are planning and looking forward to something, we have an idealistic vision of what it will be like. Then when we get there/do it, the inevitable problems that arise make the reality feel so disappointing compared to that vision! I don’t know the answer to this, just to let you know that it’s a common experience. Maybe focus on the positive parts, like the progress you made yesterday. Hugs to you and cheering you on from Vermont!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dear Alicie, so much wisdom and so many words of support were offered, and no wonder, you sound a very courageous woman, who is putiing up a brave fight against considerable odds. I would like to add a small pratical suggestion regarding your plans to improve fitness level. (Though I hope I am not breaking any rules if I mention a specific programme for fitness and weight loss? I know, I know, hundreds of those are pushed at us from all directions, but the one I have in mind proved both effective and tonns of fun too for me.) Maybe you could try FIgure 8, which is a Latin dance exercise course to do at home, following a dvd or online. If you look it up on the Web, you will find out all there is to know about it, e.g. here:
It is a great mood improver too, that is why it has crossed my mind you might like it. And it works on your muscles like crazy while you feel a part of Rio carnival. Maybe something for the next couple of months? I know there are many more ski specific exercises around, but I found F8 a great resource for finding pleasure in exercise. Best of luck!

Reactions: AJM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly