• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Learning to ski in mid 40's?

boodles7

Certified Ski Diva
Can I ask, how many seasons did it take for you to feel comfortable on the slope? I should say, start doing parallel?
A few. I was too scared the first season to get off the bunny hill. I think season 3 I started getting away from the ole pizza. Season 4 was when I got way more comfortable and it became a passion. Looking back, I should've done more lessons early on as it would've really helped me. Getting a boot fitting with custom insoles helped a lot and then the following season, I demo'd and got new skis which also helped. But I waited for the skis until my form was a lot better and had an idea of how they should be used.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
as he thinks it's hard to pick up the sport at my age
"At my age" - what is he even thinking? 40+ is spring chicken and I wish I could have taken up skiing that YOUNG. Unfortunately, due to a combination of various adverse factors, I could finally make a start at 58, soon to be interrupted again by an ailing hip, an operation and mandatory rehabilitation. So you might say I have finally began at the age of 64. And I loved that first experience so much, that giving up was not an option, period. I was very lucky to be able to take lessons all year through in a centre with a rolling carpet device, which meant I could really try and make up for all those years lost. Initially I was finding it difficult, but after a year it has all started to come easier and faster and now, after another year I am beginning to tackle more advanced techniques. And then I was not sporty, or well coordinated and with a number of hangups to overcome on the way. In short: GO FOR IT GIRL, you stand every chance to become a great skier before you know it. Best of luck, and don't let anybody talk you out of this.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I registered just to tell you that i am 55 and will put on skis for the very first time later this month, followed by a weeklong ski holiday in February which I can't wait to enjoy! Being able to ski down a mountain, in the midst of beautiful scenery and nature, has always been my lifelong dream but life always got in the way. I don't really have natural athletic ability and didn't do sports as a kid. So you are definitely not alone! And we can do it! :thumbsup:
Congratulations on on your decision to finally give yourself a chance to make your wish come true. For me , when I made a similar start at 58, it proved a transforming experience, entering a completely new dimension of life. It completely changed my self perception and my beliefs as to what I might be capable of. You will get there! Whatever obstacles you may encounter just never ever give up learning. The marvellous thing about skiing is that it can be highly enjoyable at any level of skill. Even at the humble wedge turns stage it can be a blast. So - enjoy! I wish you and any other late blossoms here lots of luck - and grit!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The time it takes to get to parallel is different for each individual. Depends on so many factors. Don't make decisions based on predictions on how long it will take to do X.
During my recent lesson my instructor told me that the skill of simultaneous edge change was one of the hardest for most people to learn on skis - and then he added: after the skill of learning parallel turns. So if you are finding it hard, at least be comforted by knowing it is a hard nut to crack.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Do it! I'm a former border turned skier.

I'd say I was probably an advanced beginner border before I stopped; and never got comfortable with speed. Could get down on double blues at Jackson Hole, but it wasn't pretty, haha.

Currently early 40s, and switched to skiing in my mid 30s. About...two seasons after I switched, I blew my ACL/MCL skiing and had to take a break; which was prolonged due to pandemic. Last season was my first full season back after ACL reconstruction/rehab.

When I picked up skiing for real, it was much easier than learning to SB or the first time I tried skiing—prior to my SB years; was two terrible lessons... I already knew how to edge control; knew the basic rules of downhill/snow sports was not as afraid of speed or having to weave around people.

I did, however, have difficulty with remembering there were now double the edges PLUS poles... not just two edges of SB. During initial switch from SB boots to ski boots, plus having to carry 4 items vs 1, I'll say is very annoying. But you quickly get used to it. Keeping poles in correct places was a bit challenging but I've noticed once you start getting your edges engaged and controlled my arms naturally did correct movements with poles.

Absolutely hated rental boots. I prefer stiffer boots with traditional liner over intuition/heat-mold because they are more responsive to my hyper-mobile feet and have less pain with proper insoles and fitting than what I experience with a heat-molded intuition liner.

If you do buy a boot, consider ones with walk mode, they help a lot when you first have to switch from SB boots. Now I don't even bother engaging the walk mode, but during the initial transition period, I really liked using the walk mode.

So... 2nd full season in, probably 4th ski seasons total, I can link multiple parallel turns sometimes, but often have to cheat and pick up my uphill ski or will start off in wedge turn on the uphill ski and parallel on the straight portions. Can do greens and easy (mid-atlantic)blues...

Last edited:

brooksnow

Angel Diva
The marvelous thing about skiing is that it can be highly enjoyable at any level of skill. Even at the humble wedge turns stage it can be a blast.
So true!
People often assume that must be annoyed to be on easy terrain teaching beginners and intermediates. Not at all! There is so much fun and joy in the learning process at all levels. Sure, I like helping experts dial in the details. I also love teaching beginners to stop and turn, helping intermediates get acquainted with their edges, etc.

SparkleBunny

Certified Ski Diva
A few. I was too scared the first season to get off the bunny hill. I think season 3 I started getting away from the ole pizza. Season 4 was when I got way more comfortable and it became a passion. Looking back, I should've done more lessons early on as it would've really helped me. Getting a boot fitting with custom insoles helped a lot and then the following season, I demo'd and got new skis which also helped. But I waited for the skis until my form was a lot better and had an idea of how they should be used.
Good to hear this. I'm in season 2 and frustrated that I'm still doing a lot of pizza. I really need to get on that boot fitting.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To all those latecomers to skiing worried about still doing lots of pizza . I have now discovered in my own journey that to many people who start later than in their 20s, learning to ski is a more gradual and slower process than the usual descriptions found on websites, Quora , blogs, etc. I have now started to collect those claims, usually originating in ski school promo materials, but not exclusively, as they are often picked up by journalists asked to "do a piece on skiing for our February issue". Starting from: "it takes ten weeks to go from never ever to any mountain skier", through "at the end of your first week of ski school you will start making confident parallel turns" to "you will need one or two private lessons to go from snowplough to parallel". The present record holder in my collection is a ski instructor who wrote on Quora: "I can confidently promise the majority of novices who take a private lesson with me to achieve parallel turning during a single session". I believe such learners and such instructors do exist, but I also think chances are slim to be that learner or to find that instructor in your path. I will also confess that the beliefs quoted above used to give me great anguish at my own ineptness, until one of the Divas here explained to me that if one is over 25 the mechanisms of walking are so ingrained in us that it will take a long time to acquire completely counter intuitive movement patterns associated with skiing. That realisation was a great help!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
@Kissmark : Have you noticed this thread?

No I have not!! although I am not intermediate I am planning to ski until 70! Thank you for the link :smile:

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
I registered just to tell you that i am 55 and will put on skis for the very first time later this month, followed by a weeklong ski holiday in February which I can't wait to enjoy! Being able to ski down a mountain, in the midst of beautiful scenery and nature, has always been my lifelong dream but life always got in the way. I don't really have natural athletic ability and didn't do sports as a kid. So you are definitely not alone! And we can do it! :thumbsup:
Oh my goodness thank you very much for sharing and for registering! I would love to hear how you will do in February. Enjoy!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Do it! I'm a former border turned skier.

I'd say I was probably an advanced beginner border before I stopped; and never got comfortable with speed. Could get down on double blues at Jackson Hole, but it wasn't pretty, haha.

Currently early 40s, and switched to skiing in my mid 30s. About...two seasons after I switched, I blew my ACL/MCL skiing and had to take a break; which was prolonged due to pandemic. Last season was my first full season back after ACL reconstruction/rehab.

When I picked up skiing for real, it was much easier than learning to SB or the first time I tried skiing—prior to my SB years; was two terrible lessons... I already knew how to edge control; knew the basic rules of downhill/snow sports was not as afraid of speed or having to weave around people.

I did, however, have difficulty with remembering there were now double the edges PLUS poles... not just two edges of SB. During initial switch from SB boots to ski boots, plus having to carry 4 items vs 1, I'll say is very annoying. But you quickly get used to it. Keeping poles in correct places was a bit challenging but I've noticed once you start getting your edges engaged and controlled my arms naturally did correct movements with poles.

Absolutely hated rental boots. I prefer stiffer boots with traditional liner over intuition/heat-mold because they are more responsive to my hyper-mobile feet and have less pain with proper insoles and fitting than what I experience with a heat-molded intuition liner.

If you do buy a boot, consider ones with walk mode, they help a lot when you first have to switch from SB boots. Now I don't even bother engaging the walk mode, but during the initial transition period, I really liked using the walk mode.

So... 2nd full season in, probably 4th ski seasons total, I can link multiple parallel turns sometimes, but often have to cheat and pick up my uphill ski or will start off in wedge turn on the uphill ski and parallel on the straight portions. Can do greens and easy (mid-atlantic)blues...
Thank you! great tip about "walk mode". I will look out for those!

marzNC

Angel Diva
No I have not!! although I am not intermediate I am planning to ski until 70! Thank you for the link :smile:
Based on the enthusiasm of your posts, I have a feeling you'll become an intermediate sooner or later. All that means to me is that the skier likes some blues, even if they are avoiding steeper and/or narrower blues.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Thank you! great tip about "walk mode". I will look out for those!
Oh and those boots tend to be have grip-walk soles, which offers better traction for walking like typical shoes. With GW, you do have to make sure the bindings are compatible, but most alpine bindings are now GW compatible. Some boots with GW soles will ship with standard sole plates that aren't GW. I have Dabello Panterra boots and those came with standard sole plates to swap if my bindings didn't take GW. The panterras are good if you have wide feet because of their wider/adjustable last.

CyberLola

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not 40 yet, didn't start to learn skiing while being older and I'm not (yet) a professional instructor, however I'm taking myself to a new area of skiing recently and am a beginner at it (freestyle) so maybe nothing I say is important or valuable, but I just wanted to tell you my opinion, which is that it's never late to want to learn something new, that brings you joy, make your life happier and that you will have maximum fun as you progress.
I will continue saying that it's easier said than done, but I believe one should not compare their progress with the progress of others around them. You are not them and they are not you. The only comparison criteria is yourself, compare yourself as of yesterday with you today, if you must.
I think you should be happy, proud to be learning such an awesome sport that will improve maybe other areas of your life besides being able to ski.

I wish you all the happiness & success with skiing!

CyberLola

Certified Ski Diva
This! but oh, how to do it?!
Hello @EdithP , yes, that is why I say "easier said than done" since it has been a lifelong battle for me too. Classical ballet from 3 to 25, then tech career, skiing ... all skills I always have very perfectionist mindset to want to deeply understand and continuosly improve, nobody has more criticism on my work than myself, and I of course seek always inspiration, advice and mentoring from people who are more seniors, more experienced, so at times it maybe becomes VERY hard not to compare myself to others.
I think it also depends on our entire life, are we in good mental state health, are we happy, personal life/work life going well. More depressed = more negative = more destructive comparing.

In my experience I felt that as soon as I'm able to concentrate on me only, the me of yesterday, or maybe 2 days ago, with me today and how I want me to be tomorrow/future, I'm in good position in life (happy with personal life/work, being succesful in general), no depressions/sad feeling, even though I still continue my eternal perfectionist mindset and self criticism, I stop thinking all humans are better than I will ever be, no more unnecessary comparisons, and then it is when I improve most!

Again, easier said than done, but I wish everyone has easier time and can achieve this much faster than i can :smile:

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

I am wondering, did anyone start skiing in her mid 40's, or know someone who did?

Background:
I grew up in a country where ski is not very common. In my mid 20's I learned to snowboard because of friend's influence.
My husband loves to ski and now my children are starting to ski as well. I can keep up with them but sometimes it's awkward to be the only snowboarder in the group (no one wants to wait for me to put on my straps after getting off the lift!). I am starting to think maybe I should pickup ski as well, but Im wondering how difficult it is to pick up this activity for someone who is not very good in sports and not very coordinated. If anyone has learned to ski in mid 40s, or has taught someone or know someone, please share your tips!

Thank you.
Me! Exactly at 40 and now I love skiing the most in the family. Take lessons to boost your confidence. If you're already snowboarding you got this.

SparkleBunny

Certified Ski Diva
This weekend at Whistler I sure did a lot of pizza again. The grading of the runs felt a little more difficult than what I had previously encountered in CA and CO, but I was counting it as a win if I could get down without hurting myself. I'm trying to remind myself to have fun and just work on getting better, even if I'm not going to ski pretty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly