• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anxiety

alicie

Angel Diva
I have quite bad anxiety and severe depression, as well as being autistic and adhd (yeah im a bundle of fun). so i really stress when it comes to skiing.

How do you deal with the anxiety surrounding skiing. im a very cautious skier. Im happy on greens and most blues (european) with parallel turns. well i say happy im still really anxious. im anxious about the actual skiing, what if i fall, what if someone hits me, what if i hit someone, what if the lifts breaks down. i detest skiing alone these days. im 27 i should be confident and alsorts but im so farfrom it

I never used to be this anxious, i was still very anxious but its just getting worse. I have a psychologist and were working on it, but im autistic so find it difficult to do things like this.

anyone got any tips or advice?

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Perhaps there is a group at your mountain that you can join, that has weekly lessons separated into ability levels. Whiteface has something called “Snow Boomers” for but not necessarily limited to older skiers, that is friendly, somewhat social, and supportive of learning. You might feel comfortable with others, believe me, you aren’t the only one with ski anxiety! I hope you find a way to enjoy this sport!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I agree with the suggestion above. Are there any womens’ group seasonal programs you can join? Or womens’ ski groups in general? I think that sort of supportive environment can really help develop confidence in your abilities and all of the logistics around skiing that can be quite overwhelming. Or is there a friend or relative you ski with that makes you feel safer or more comfortable to be out there with?

I know you can’t really rationalize yourself out of anxious thoughts.. but I do sometimes find it helpful to run the course on those types of thoughts and play the what if game. So for example, okay what if the lift breaks down what scares me about this? Being stuck high in the air. What would actually happen if this were to occur? Patrol would get me down safely as they are trained to do in that scenario. Is that a dealbreaker or something I can live with as a risk I accept for skiing? Etc.

Also, allow yourself some grace.. skiing can be scary. I learned as an adult and I was scared of everything! I cried many times scared and frozen still on a slope I didn’t want to continue on but had no choice, etc. It’s time and supportive friends, and lessons to gain confidence and skill, and lots of time on snow. You can’t rush these feelings away.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In the USA, there are Adaptive programs at many ski resorts and even small hills. People on the Autism spectrum are welcome to get support in that way. Adaptive volunteers are pretty amazing people in general. Adaptive programs are not just for people with physical disabilities such as a missing limb.

Might ask the ski school. There may also be programs at large indoor snowsports venues.

Seems to be an organization in Scotland.

MissySki

Angel Diva
In the USA, there are Adaptive programs at many ski resorts and even small hills. People on the Autism spectrum are welcome to get support in that way. Adaptive volunteers are pretty amazing people in general. Adaptive programs are not just for people with physical disabilities such as a missing limb.

Might ask the ski school. There may also be programs at large indoor snowsports venues.

Seems to be an organization in Scotland.
What an awesome suggestion! I didn’t think about this, but it makes a ton of sense.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably skiing with a friend who is better than you, but not a lot better than you would help. A non-competitive, non-pushy, friend, preferably female.

I'm sure you came here hoping to meet a female from UK who might fill that role, but there's not a huge number of UK skiers here. Snowheads is rife with them, tho. I'd say they are mostly male, but there's a tremendous number of "looking for buddies" threads which might help. Sometimes it is women. Narrowing down where you will be skiing would also help. I don't know how frequent "women only" ski groups are in Europe. You might want to go with a private guide or instructor who "gets" your issues. I know that's pricey, but where you're at you want someone willing to go at your speed and you don't want to feel like you're holding up a group.

knolan12

Angel Diva
You might find Mermer Blakeslee's book A Conversation With Fear to be relatable and possibly helpful.
I found this book really helpful!!

I had been terribly anxious skiing the last couple of years. Part of it was due to equipment - I got new boots that were a bad fit and felt like I couldn't trust myself. Getting the right boots helped this. I also took more lessons which was helpful. Last winter was also the first time I was taking anti-anxiety meds which I also think helped haha

Other people on the mountain make me very nervous, I don't trust anyone haha I get around this by skiing during the week at smaller mountains where crowds are very low. I'm much happier when it's just me on the trail haha

alicie

Angel Diva
I’m in Scotland and like an hour and half two hours from the nearest ski resort. So it’s not really feasible to go weekly, especially with the weather being so variable. And I did Google but couldn’t find any womens ski groups. But there is disability snowsport uk, they have a base at glenshee, so I might email them if the snow comes, fingers crossed it does.

Thanks for all the support and tips guys.

They’re also based at the indoor ski centres, but our nearest one is 2.5 - 3 hours away and it’s gone into liquidation so is shut at the moment.

Next season I want to do a ski goddess course, they run womens only ski courses in chatel. So hopefully I can do that.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find listening to music while I ski helps me feel less anxious - at the start it was so I couldn't hear the sound of icy patches and so just got on with skiing rather than worrying about what I was skiing on if that makes sense. Not sure if that's something that would work for you but thought I'd mention it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I find listening to music while I ski helps me feel less anxious - at the start it was so I couldn't hear the sound of icy patches and so just got on with skiing rather than worrying about what I was skiing on if that makes sense. Not sure if that's something that would work for you but thought I'd mention it.
Good idea! I also have that work well for me because I focus more on the beat than my head.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I was going to chime in on music. I don’t have a way to listen to music while skiing but I do sing songs in my head - Disney tunes, fun 80s music, Beyoncé - whatever puts a pep in your step. It helps me get out of my anxiety ridden brain at least temporarily in small spurts. I ski mostly alone so it helps.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alicie, while on a smaller scale I share your fears. On the pragmatic end of things I believe that a little bit of planning and awareness goes a long way towards staying safe. By that I mean that I plan my days to avoid crowds, ski parts of the run that tend to have least chance of collisions, become aware of the way out of control skiers are dressed if skiing the same runs on repeat and avoid them by letting them pass. Over 2k days of skiing and only 2 very minor injuries and 2 collisions, both were with my own students. I attribute some of that to being present and aware and good habits.

Then there is the internal part. When we are scared things can become more dangerous for us as we stiffen up which makes turning aka speed control and direction changes much harder to execute. It sounds like you know how to keep that fear to a minimum by choosing terrain you are comfortable with. You clearly must have a part of you that does enjoy the sport in spite of the feelings. I often imagine myself inside my safety bubble. It is not real, but when it is super crowded I picture a clear, see through, energetic circular pinkish, safe space that surrounds me and can not be entered by others. It does nothing to protect me physically but it does a little something, almost like a superpower mentally.

The adaptive lesson suggestions are great.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I was going to chime in on music. I don’t have a way to listen to music while skiing but I do sing songs in my head - Disney tunes, fun 80s music, Beyoncé - whatever puts a pep in your step. It helps me get out of my anxiety ridden brain at least temporarily in small spurts. I ski mostly alone so it helps.
I also listen to songs in my head, but I'd be very nervous to have actual music playing while I ski. :nono:I want to have all of my senses attuned to other skiers, and esp boarders, coming up fast behind me. It has saved my butt several times!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Alicie, while on a smaller scale I share your fears. On the pragmatic end of things I believe that a little bit of planning and awareness goes a long way towards staying safe. By that I mean that I plan my days to avoid crowds, ski parts of the run that tend to have least chance of collisions, become aware of the way out of control skiers are dressed if skiing the same runs on repeat and avoid them by letting them pass. Over 2k days of skiing and only 2 very minor injuries and 2 collisions, both were with my own students. I attribute some of that to being present and aware and good habits.

Then there is the internal part. When we are scared things can become more dangerous for us as we stiffen up which makes turning aka speed control and direction changes much harder to execute. It sounds like you know how to keep that fear to a minimum by choosing terrain you are comfortable with. You clearly must have a part of you that does enjoy the sport in spite of the feelings. I often imagine myself inside my safety bubble. It is not real, but when it is super crowded I picture a clear, see through, energetic circular pinkish, safe space that surrounds me and can not be entered by others. It does nothing to protect me physically but it does a little something, almost like a superpower mentally.

The adaptive lesson suggestions are great.
I definitely can relate to the idea of creating one's own danger by being too stiff and uptight. When I first started skiing I was terrified of the snowmobiles that the Ski Patrol would use, and every time I heard one coming, even if it was coming uphill, and I could see it clearly, I would immediately panic and just fall over!! In retrospect, it's pretty funny, but it was very real to me then. I also second the idea of an adaptive instructor: some of the instructors I've worked with at Taos are also adaptive instructors, and they've described some of the ways they've worked with different people to help them enjoy skiing. That's what it's all about -- enjoying the experience -- so don't be shy about reaching out for anything that will help you achieve that enjoyment!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I also listen to songs in my head, but I'd be very nervous to have actual music playing while I ski. :nono:I want to have all of my senses attuned to other skiers, and esp boarders, coming up fast behind me. It has saved my butt several times!
I personally use the drop in chips in my helmet ear pieces and keep it low enough that I can still have a conversation on lift rides etc. I can definitely still hear the environment around me, including snowboarder dodging lol.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I personally use the drop in chips in my helmet ear pieces and keep it low enough that I can still have a conversation on lift rides etc. I can definitely still hear the environment around me, including snowboarder dodging lol.
^^^^ Same here.

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
I have quite bad anxiety and severe depression, as well as being autistic and adhd (yeah im a bundle of fun). so i really stress when it comes to skiing.

How do you deal with the anxiety surrounding skiing. im a very cautious skier. Im happy on greens and most blues (european) with parallel turns. well i say happy im still really anxious. im anxious about the actual skiing, what if i fall, what if someone hits me, what if i hit someone, what if the lifts breaks down. i detest skiing alone these days. im 27 i should be confident and alsorts but im so farfrom it

I never used to be this anxious, i was still very anxious but its just getting worse. I have a psychologist and were working on it, but im autistic so find it difficult to do things like this.

anyone got any tips or advice?
Ask your psychologist about performance anxiety tools. You would also do better with learning how to manage your thoughts through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.....your thoughts control your feelings and thus your behavior. Steer clear of "what if" thoughts....unless you think "what if I have a great time and things go smoothly?" Also, be sure to control your breathing....long slow breaths is the key to reducing anxiety (inhale through your nose for a slow count of 4, exhale slowly until all of the air is our of your lungs and a brief pause at the bottom then repeat). This breathing technique returns your sympathetic nervous system to parasympathetic functioning (ask your psychologist...way too much to explain here). Good luck! and remember....the whole point in skiing is to have fun....stay in your comfort zone.

If you're feeling anxious, something I can relate to on and off the slopes, start on greens. Do the same run(s) several times until you feel more confident and then bump up to a slightly more challenging run. If you feel really anxious, go down a step next time. Focus on enjoying the experience in your comfort zone, not anyone else's, including an instructor. Kudos to you for your commitment to skiing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly