• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Not really. My son goes to RIT, and my other son has a friend who is from Buffalo, so I hear about Holiday a lot. I hope to get there this season!
Good old lake effect snow up there!

One year, back at RIT, snow started in September and we had a freak storm in May.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Easy to see why they have tunnels!
Only partially... The rumor was that the entire campus was at one time connected via the tunnels but the mid-section between dorms and academic buildings were closed off b/c murder or got closed off during their CIA controversy... something... something...

Doubt there are really tunnels the full way, it'd be fire-safety hazard. It was always nice to hope though on the really bad days.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Does anybody reading here know how much terrain is ordinarily open at Beech, Sugar, and Appalachian during Christmas vacation?

Do these three mountains usually get their beginner areas open first thing? Or do they wait until they have top to bottom runs for the dedicated groomer-zoomer pass holders before they blow snow on the never-ever terrain?

The reason I ask is because my daughter and her family want me to take them to a North Carolina mountain to ski over Christmas. They live in South Carolina, and want to drive up for a few days. The kids, 4 and 8, have never skied. I need a mountain that is going to have appropriate terrain open for the kids to learn on, lessons available for both of them, and other things to do (tubing, etc.) after the first hour or so when the kids get tired.
Hi liquidfeet, I just saw this and wanted to give you some info. All three of those resorts will have beginner terrain open first. Beginners are their life blood. I worked at Beech for 27 years (and Sugar before that) and would steer you to Beech or Appalachian over Sugar. For many reasons. I also would second what MarzNC said — skiing at any resort in NC between Christmas and New Years is madness. Your beginners might find it acceptable, but as you’ve skied some nice places and been around the ski block (so to speak), I believe you would not find it “fun”. Maybe you can volunteer to stay home and bake cookies. You will have lots more fun doing that and you will be infinitely safer, lol! Seriously though, it’s downright scary on the slopes that week.

Our mountains are extremely beautiful, and there is so much to do outdoors here, even in Winter. So I definitely would not discourage you from visiting that week. If there would happen to be snow on the ground I would suggest renting cross country skis and taking a scenic ski tour — away from the resort madness. There are places in Boone that rent touring skis.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays! Julia

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the reason I'm looking into this trip is my daughter is wanting to introduce her kids, 4 and 8, to skiing. Her options are school vacations only.

I'll be at her home in Charleston SC between Xmas and NYears, and I know stuff about skiing. So she's asking me to arrange somethingin NC, or at least to look into it.

I'm also the one who will pay for this family trip if we do it :wink:. My goal will not be to enjoy skiing for myself, but to set up things so the two grandchildren have a decent experience with their first day skiing.

So I need a ski school that welcomes 4 YO beginners into a group lesson I can afford, same thing for an 8 YO, and an airBnB that I can cancel at the last minute if the weather gets hot and everything melts.

I also hope for tubing and other stuff to entertain the kids when they tire of skiing. Which I suspect they will, but you never know. I don't expect they will get off the beginner hill on day one, and prolly not on day two either. Dad may want to snowboard, but he's a novice, and Mom is a novice skier too. I honestly don't care about the quality of my skiing there. I can hold down the fort in the lodge.

With that said, any further advice on where to get lodging? At this point I'm thinking Banner Elk or Boone since they are close to both Beech and Sugar. I'll book then wait to see what the coverage is as the time approaches. I'll need the last minute cancellation option.

I so love this forum. Advice from folks in the know is priceless.

marzNC

Angel Diva
With that said, any further advice on where to get lodging? At this point I'm thinking Banner Elk or Boone and wait to see what the coverage is as the time approaches. I'll need the last minute cancellation option.
There are plenty of motel options in Boone. App is very close to town. Beech is the farthest and requires driving up a mountain road. Sugar is right off the 2-lane highway. Must plan on arriving an hour before the lifts open. Parking is limited and not paved. Best to rent gear off the mountain. There are shops in Boone and near the base of Sugar. I liked Ski Country better than Alpine, but that was because I had bad experiences at the Alpine shop in Raleigh. Haven't been skiing near Boone for over ten years.

There are houses and condos near Beech. No idea about cancellation policies. Very few are ski in/out and I would guess those are already booked. The bonus for Beech is that the town has a free sledding hill, complete with snowmaking. Need to have something to slide on, which can be bought nearby. Supposed to be for kids only but adults with kids can sled too. Even have an adult in charge at the top so things stay in control.

Beech Mountain sledding hill, February 2010
Beech sledding Feb 2010 - 1.jpeg

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I don’t know about the kids ski schools but you can find that info online. I believe they all do well in that area. I think your best bet might be Appalachian. It’s more of a “locals” mtn so might not be so crowded. It’s near Blowing Rock which is a unique really cute small town with fun stores and excellent restaurants. Also near the Blue Ridge Parkway for a scenic drive. Or stay on Beech in a rented house — but have an AWD car if it snows. Lots of Floridians have summer houses there so lots to choose from. I would avoid Banner Elk proper and Boone because they are crowded. I don’t go to the mountains to be in a traffic jam. Our season has started early so hopefully Christmas this year will be great!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Only partially... The rumor was that the entire campus was at one time connected via the tunnels but the mid-section between dorms and academic buildings were closed off b/c murder or got closed off during their CIA controversy... something... something...

Doubt there are really tunnels the full way, it'd be fire-safety hazard. It was always nice to hope though on the really bad days.
No, no tunnels between dorms and academic buildings. We were told it was because they wanted to make sure the kids got at least a little sun, lol. I suspected it was actually safety - related!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
As posted elsewhere by @kmb5662 . . .

For only $119 you can get a 1 day lift ticket for each resort. Resorts include Montage, Ski Sawmill, Shawnee, Ski Big Bear, Swain, and Tussey Mountain.

Sad to see so many local ski resorts dropped out of this program. It's the reason we visited Swain and I think Blue Knob in prior years.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sad to see so many local ski resorts dropped out of this program. It's the reason we visited Swain and I think Blue Knob in prior years.
Agree, it's sad to see less are participating. I think a few years ago there used to be at least 8-10 different resorts if I am remembering correctly. I can't recall exactly what resorts were all on it but I think the mega passes are likely playing a role. I am still surprised Camelback isn't yet included with Ikon.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Agree, it's sad to see less are participating. I think a few years ago there used to be at least 8-10 different resorts if I am remembering correctly. I can't recall exactly what resorts were all on it but I think the mega passes are likely playing a role. I am still surprised Camelback isn't yet included with Ikon.
I agree. I'm also shocked Camelback hasn't joined ikon

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking in progress tonight in NC and VA. Probably WV too but I didn't look at the webcams.

The temperature forecast for the next week is in the teens at Massanutten. Would be cool if they could get the core trails open by Thanksgiving weekend. That's pretty unusual in northern VA. The target to open is traditionally the first weekend of December, but mid-December is not unusual.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This evening they're still forecasting approx 4' of lake-effect snow around Buffalo!

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
No, no tunnels between dorms and academic buildings. We were told it was because they wanted to make sure the kids got at least a little sun, lol. I suspected it was actually safety - related!
The sun thing might really be true.

Some engineering students only left their rooms for classes and food.

50 degrees used to be shorts weather

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i wish CBK would join ikon! At least that would give us a close to home option. Since we didn’t get CBK passes this year the closest one to us is Wyndham now

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
With fall colors starting early in central NC, it feel like time to start news and discussion for the 2022-23 ski season related to skiing/boarding in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, southern New York, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, or North Carolina. Decided to add Ober Gatlinburg in TN too since it's on the Indy Pass.

Won't be posting about it much in this thread but worth noting that Big SNOW in NJ has an indoor slope with manmade snow that's open year round.

NC: Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, Cataloochee*

VA: Massanutten*, Wintergreen, Bryce*
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe***, Canaan Valley*, Timberline, Winterplace*
TN: Ober Gatlinburg*

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs**, Hidden Valley**, Laurel Mountain**
PA, closest to DC: Liberty**, Roundtop**, Whitetail**
PA, eastern: Elk, Montage*, Jack Frost/Big Boulder**, Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter**, Windham***, Plattekill

* - Indy Pass Partners
** - Epic
*** - Ikon

For the Mid-Atlantic discussion for 2021-22, click here.
Recent chatter has included more references to NY, so I'll toss out that Greek Peak (ballpark 40 miles from the PA border) is on the Indy Pass and is supposed to open this Friday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly