• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
Getting really cold in New Mexico. The resorts using snowmaking to build up the base on core trails for Thanksgiving should have plenty of opportunity to run the snowguns in the next couple weeks.

OpenSnow Opening Dates as of Nov. 12
→ Sipapu: November 18
→ Red River: November 23
→ Ski Santa Fe: November 24
→ Taos: November 24
→ Angel Fire: December 16
→ Pajarito: TBD

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Was at the Lincoln Peak base lodge at Sugarbush yesterday and there was just a tiny bit of snow visible from their snowmaking earlier this week. So so so ready for some colder weather! I had the freakin' AC on last night, that's way too warm for Vermont in November.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbasin is going to open a week earlier than the previously announced, but the first few days will be for pass holders only.

"
We are thrilled to announce we are opening early for the 2022-23 ski season on Friday, November 18, at 9 a.m. This will mark our earliest opening on record for in over 80 years of operation.

For this unprecedented opening, we will be welcoming pass holders back for exclusive access over the first weekend. We will be rolling out top-to-bottom skiing from Needles Gondola, Middle Bowl Express and Littlecat Express. Our popular Wildcat Handle Tow will also be turning for guests to explore nearby park features. Available trails will be posted on on our conditions page ahead of Opening Day.
. . ."

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Timberline opened on Friday and then closed again on Sunday. There were so many bald spots. I definitely hit some rocks. I am surprised they opened at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline opened on Friday and then closed again on Sunday. There were so many bald spots. I definitely hit some rocks. I am surprised they opened at all.
You're talking about Timberline in Oregon, correct?

Being in the southeast, I pay attention to Timberline in West Virginia. They get excited when there is an inch of snow, which already happened. Opening day is set for Nov. 23.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're talking about Timberline in Oregon, correct?

Being in the southeast, I pay attention to Timberline in West Virginia. They get excited when there is an inch of snow, which already happened. Opening day is set for Nov. 23.
Yes, Oregon Timberline. Skiing there this weekend reminded me of skiing on Mount Lemmon near Tucson. They get excited about an inch of snow too! Lol

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Killington is opening on Thursday at noon for pass holders only.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
It does at least include Ikon passholders, though I don’t know that people want to waste days that early if they want to ski Killington more during the season.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does at least include Ikon passholders, though I don’t know that people want to waste days that early if they want to ski Killington more during the season.
I don’t think I used my five trips to Killington last year. But I certainly wouldn’t use one for the opening day!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sunday River is opening at 9am today.

Sugarloaf is opening tomorrow.
Here are details for Sunday River from the Mountain Report on the website this morning.

November 17, 2022 | 6:05AM

The 2022-23 New England ski season starts now. Do we need to say anything else? The Locke Triple will begin spinning at 9:00 AM for New England Pass, Ikon Pass, and Ticket Pack holders. Daily lift ticket access will begin Saturday, November 19 at 8:00 AM. Downloading will be required, but hey, you don't have to walk. Last chair will be thrown at 3:15PM, so be sure to get here early enough to get your first turns of the season in.

Some general notes to keep in mind before heading out for your first turns of the season. Pre-season conditions will exist. Please ski in control, and be aware of changing terrain. Snowmaking operations will be ongoing throughout the day on T2 and Sunday Punch. A buff or something of the sort is perfect for wiping off the goggles! At this time, there is no beginner terrain available on the mountain. In addition to this, due to limited terrain availability, no uphill traffic is permitted at this time. Our team is working exceptionally hard to take advantage of the prolonged cold and open additional terrain as fast as possible.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been paying attention to the midwest during early season for the first time. Have been thinking about an Indy Pass ski safari in the midwest since I have relatives in Detroit, Chicago, and St. Paul. A couple places in Michigan will be open this weekend: Ski Brule, Lutsen. Nub's Nob has started making snow and could be open before Thanksgiving because there is a snowstorm forecast for the next couple days.

Lutsen announced a staggered opening schedule a while back and hasn't had to make any updates. Ski Brule had to delay by a week.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 8.39.41 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here are details for Sunday River from the Mountain Report on the website this morning.

November 17, 2022 | 6:05AM

The 2022-23 New England ski season starts now. Do we need to say anything else? The Locke Triple will begin spinning at 9:00 AM for New England Pass, Ikon Pass, and Ticket Pack holders. Daily lift ticket access will begin Saturday, November 19 at 8:00 AM. Downloading will be required, but hey, you don't have to walk. Last chair will be thrown at 3:15PM, so be sure to get here early enough to get your first turns of the season in.

Some general notes to keep in mind before heading out for your first turns of the season. Pre-season conditions will exist. Please ski in control, and be aware of changing terrain. Snowmaking operations will be ongoing throughout the day on T2 and Sunday Punch. A buff or something of the sort is perfect for wiping off the goggles! At this time, there is no beginner terrain available on the mountain. In addition to this, due to limited terrain availability, no uphill traffic is permitted at this time. Our team is working exceptionally hard to take advantage of the prolonged cold and open additional terrain as fast as possible.

And there will inevitably be people who bring beginners who should definitely not be there on the early season terrain/conditions lol.. happens every time regardless of the warnings.

Christy

Angel Diva
Mt Baker opened today with all natural snow and 6 lifts. Early season conditions of course. 29"/36" base bottom/top. They made a video of someone skiing around so you can see what things are like, which I think is nice. No one goes to Baker for the groomers or really even the on-piste runs.

In WA 49 Degrees north, near Spokane, opened last weekend. Crystal had to change the slogan on their website that said "first to open, last to close" because they don't open until tomorrow. In any case it's limited terrain, mostly lower mountain green, that's opening. Snowmaking is still a relatively new thing here and they put some around the base; I've wondered about the economics of that. Is there payoff in attracting families to the shorter green runs? I guess there must be. At least they go to use it--we've had a record breaking dry stretch the last couple weeks and it's been cold at night. Very atypical weather but perfect for snowmaking.

Mission Ridge opens tomorrow too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In any case it's limited terrain, mostly lower mountain green, that's opening. Snowmaking is still a relatively new thing here and they put some around the base; I've wondered about the economics of that. Is there payoff in attracting families to the shorter green runs? I guess there must be.
In some ways it's a reward for season passholders. Just as staying open an extra week or weekend during late season is mostly for pass holders. People paying for day tickets aren't as likely to make the effort. Although if early season day tickets are discounted enough, that can be enough to get someone to check out a local mountain. If the opening day is a little before a deadline for buying a season pass, that early opening could result in a new pass holder.

Snowmaking is the only reason the southeast has any ski resorts. Vying to be first to open in the southeast, mid-Atlantic, northeast, and midwest has been a tradition for decades. Whatever place opens first gets the most free publicity from the local media.

Recently, Sugar Mountain was featured in an article by Unofficial Networks because it was the first to open a lift on the east coast. I bet most of the readers didn't even know North Carolina has skiing, even though there are multiple resorts that have operated for over 50 years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My personal list of ski areas/resorts opening before Thanksgiving week feels a lot longer than a few years ago. These dates all can be found somewhere on a resort's website as of Nov. 17. Obviously early season snowstorms make a difference. Increased snowmaking infrastructure in multiple regions also matters. That meant more resorts were ready to take advantage of the usually cold days in the last week or so.

For destination resorts, early openings are typically only a few green and blue groomers. However, it's also possible that an early opening has no beginner terrain. That's the case for Sunday River and Alta this season. SR open terrain is on the upper mountain only. Alta's beginner lift is way behind schedule and won't run until some time in December. Anyone considering an early season trip in the future can learn a lot by watching what happens at a potential destination for a season or two.

OPENING BY NOVEMBER 23, THANKSGIVING IS NOVEMBER 24, 2022

10/23: Arapahoe Basin, CO
10/28: Keystone, CO
10/31: Winter Park, CO
11/03: Loveland, CO
11/04: Brian Head, UT
11/04: Wolf Creek, CO
11/05: Mammoth, CA
11/09: Breckenridge, CO
11/10: Marmot Basin, AB - MCP but not Ikon
11/11: Timberline, OR
11/11: Mt. Rose, NV - announced 11/8 during snowstorm