• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbound Festivals: Boston and Denver

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are the people who are going interested in attending the scheduled talks, or more interested in visiting the vendors? In other words, what about this event makes driving into Boston and parking in some expensive lot somewhere worth it?

I'm north of Boston. I could drive into Boston, and might go in just for the fun of a meal with people from this forum. That I'd like.

But I am wondering if I'd enjoy the event itself. My gut says no. But maybe I'm wrong. Convince me!

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I'll probably do both talks and vendors... Put my name in those free give away things.:smile:

My first trip out west ever was to Jackson Hole, and it was a grand prize win. All expenses paid, (I think it was a week long with 4 day lift tix if I recall correctly) except food and booze. It still amazes me it happened—summer after, I won 10 free tickets to a Circle Line Happy Hour cruise that goes up/down the Hudson River...

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Yeah, and the business that held the raffle; outdoor gear store in North NJ didn't even send me a tax form... So double amazing. I don't think they can anymore...it's been over 10 years ;D

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
The LAUNCH coupon expired-I tried to use it today and that was the message-any other discounts available?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'll probably do both talks and vendors... Put my name in those free give away things.:smile:

My first trip out west ever was to Jackson Hole, and it was a grand prize win. All expenses paid, (I think it was a week long with 4 day lift tix if I recall correctly) except food and booze. It still amazes me it happened—summer after, I won 10 free tickets to a Circle Line Happy Hour cruise that goes up/down the Hudson River...

Same here! My first trip West was due to winning lodging walking distance to the lifts in Aspen. Haven't won anything since, but that was awesome!

I just think overall it's a fun way to meet up with ski friends and to start ushering in the idea of winter and skiing. Though sometimes I'm already skiing by the time this comes around.

I don't want to be the buzzkill, but for anyone with a higher reason to be careful with Covid exposures.. I would say to watch closely what happens over the next couple of months ahead of this event. These current variants are extremely contagious and Boston has been having a lot of spread and advising mask usage again. I was in Boston all last week and doing a ton of activities with my company morning to night. Everyone was testing everyday etc. Thursday night I went to dinner at a nice steakhouse in the Seaport with one of my teams where there were 12 of us, including me. We originally had outside reservations, but due to the weather we were advised by the restaurant to relocate inside. Well, starting Friday morning one person tested positive and notified everyone who was there. By Tuesday of this week 7 of the 12 who were at this dinner had tested positive and also 2 others from another team who were in the same restaurant but not near our table. I somehow did not get sick even though I was literally surrounded by everyone else who got it in my seat that night, and the first person to test positive had hugged me several times over the course of that day and been close to me in other activities. I'm either super lucky, or my extra immunity from having Covid in late April kept me protected. I had an amazing week and had admittedly thrown cautious to the wind hoping I was still super immune and feeling somewhat comfortable that everyone was testing daily and that ended up panning out.. but some of the folks who got sick had been wearing masks all week etc. and then let their guard down on the Thursday. Everyone I've spoken to has pretty mild symptoms, but obviously for some it's a much bigger deal for either themselves or family members at home. Okay, end of my PSA. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are the people who are going interested in attending the scheduled talks, or more interested in visiting the vendors? In other words, what about this event makes driving into Boston and parking in some expensive lot somewhere worth it?

I'm north of Boston. I could drive into Boston, and might go in just for the fun of a meal with people from this forum. That I'd like.

But I am wondering if I'd enjoy the event itself. My gut says no. But maybe I'm wrong. Convince me!
For someone who doesn't mind crowds and likes people watching, any trade show can be a lot of fun. I happen to fit in that category.

When I was in Boston with my own car, I parked at a surface lot for the entire time that was less expensive than the underground parking. But that was a different location. For Hynes, I'd consider parking at the end of the Red Line and taking the T into the city.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't want to be the buzzkill, but for anyone with a higher reason to be careful with Covid exposures..
As before, different people have different approaches to living with COVID-19. My husband is high risk and fully enjoyed a day at Epcot at Disney World a few weeks ago.

That said, I intend to spend more time wandering around at Snowbound Boston on Friday than on the weekend. Staying for the weekend will be about saying hello to Divas I haven't met before and visiting with friends outside of Hynes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As before, different people have different approaches to living with COVID-19. My husband is high risk and fully enjoyed a day at Epcot at Disney World a few weeks ago.

That said, I intend to spend more time wandering around at Snowbound Boston on Friday than on the weekend. Staying for the weekend will be about saying hello to Divas I haven't met before and visiting with friends outside of Hynes.

Absolutely, and I was more giving caution about dinner since that's where we seemed to have a very large spread occur last week. I'm already looking forward to the next full company event and this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm, but I hadn't personally realized how very easy and contagious the spread is that's happening currently (given that I work from home and don't really eat out unless it's outside with the current warm weather). This one was in my face so definitely can't ignore the facts of how easy it happened, and it may be a consideration for people in November if it's still the case and/or people haven't been recently ill or new boosters available.. Lots of time and things to consider for each individual though.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Same here! My first trip West was due to winning lodging walking distance to the lifts in Aspen. Haven't won anything since, but that was awesome!

... I think that's how they suck us in to making further trips out West. Haven't been back to JH, but one day. Just have many other resorts we want to hit, but not enough time and $ of course is finite.

Very tempted to try to convert my toyota matrix to car camper so we/I can do cheaper overnight trips to VT/NNY

marzNC

Angel Diva
A reminder about the dates/times for Snowbound Boston.

2pm – 8pm Friday 18th November
10am-8pm Saturday 19th November
10am -5pm Sunday 20th November 2022

From past experience at trade shows in Boston (not just ski shows), the time to go for people who aren't working would be on Friday. Saturday and Sunday mornings from 10:00-11:30 would probably not be as busy either.

After 6:00 on Saturday could be a less busy time but hard to predict. One time I had a blast talking with a couple of very bored vendors during the last hour on Friday when the place was very empty.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
From past experience at trade shows in Boston (not just ski shows), the time to go for people who aren't working would be on Friday. Saturday and Sunday mornings from 10:00-11:30 would probably not be as busy either.

After 6:00 on Saturday could be a less busy time but hard to predict. One time I had a blast talking with a couple of very bored vendors during the last hour on Friday when the place was very empty.
With any of these shows, the best time to hit up vendors is when they wanna leave. If they are selling, they'll off load their wares cheaper. OR in case of things like... Whiskey Festival, where vendors technically can't sell you bottles. If you play your cards right ;)...

marzNC

Angel Diva
With any of these shows, the best time to hit up vendors is when they wanna leave. If they are selling, they'll off load their wares cheaper. OR in case of things like... Whiskey Festival, where vendors technically can't sell you bottles. If you play your cards right ;)...
The flip side is that if someone shows up at 3:00 on Sunday, not much may be left at some booths. A few vendors will start packing up around 4:00, while trying to still be polite to people looking around.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There have been so many codes, it’ll be surprising if anyone buys one.
Although the percentage of people who attend and are online about snowsports before October could be less than 50% of actual attendees. Or at least that would be the hope of the sponsors.

After all, there are people who pay window prices for lift tickets. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna