• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going to a wider ski

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
It's like saying an exercycle is the same as mountain biking, or treadmill is the same as trail running hahaha. It's good for off season skills and drills, and the conditions are consistent, but it's nothing like a real mountain really!
What a great analogy! Totally understand . I wish we had something like that so I could practice drills. I’m never patient enough while on the mountain with family.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great analogy! Totally understand . I wish we had something like that so I could practice drills. I’m never patient enough while on the mountain with family.
I've found that when I want to do drills or anything specific to improving my technique, I need to be skiing alone. The presence of friends is too distracting for me to pay attention to what I'm working on.

You may find this is the case for you too.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've found that when I want to do drills or anything specific to improving my technique, I need to be skiing alone. The presence of friends is too distracting for me to pay attention to what I'm working on.

You may find this is the case for you too.

Absolutely true unless you have a ski partner who also wants to improve. I remember one day when just groomers were open and conditions weren't fantastic. My friend and I spent the entire day doing drills, as well as watching and commenting on each other's performance. It made what have might have been a bit of a boring day into an interesting one.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s interesting insight! So much to learn hear. I believe I’m definitely leaning more towards stability and speed. The Blizzard Sheeva was recommended to me, but I’m also looking for something that is more esthetically interesting (I love the art on the Lib Techs previously mentioned, Atomic Chet Bentler’s, and Pandora’s just name a few).
As everyone has said, sounds like your skis are too short! If you want stability, buy skis that are at least your height. Typically heavier and stiffer skis are more stable BUT then you miss out on the playfulness and maneuverability of a more freestyle oriented ski. They're also harder to ski slower - especially at longer lengths. Examples of these would be the Volkl Mantra/Secret or the Blizzard Black Pearl.

I have no experience with the skis you mentioned, but I do think there are better brands out there. If you want playful but strong skis, check out the Moment Sierras. Full disclosure, I am super biased with Moment as I own 4 pairs of Moment skis (including the Sierras) but obviously there is a reason I'm obsessed with the brand! The Sierras are 98mm but with the triple camber, they grip really well on hard pack and they float amazingly for their width. They're super floaty and fun even in 30+ cm of fresh (I had them out in 50cm of light pow and admittedly, that was a bit too deep for them to be maximum fun which is why I have 116s haha). They're pretty stiff but also playful which is a nice mix. I will say that I initially bought them for in bounds and then transitioned them to a backcountry ski as I didn't find them damp enough for the speed I was skiing (replaced with the Volkl Mantra 102) but if you aren't skiing really fast over rough terrain, I think they'd be great (or if you ski with a more active style). Initially, I had them mounted at the recommended -5 but I didn't like it and moved it 1 cm back to -6. The thing with the Sierras though, is while they grip well on hardpack, with the twin tips you won't get a nice crisp carve like you would with a more traditional tail. I would use them for mostly skiing off piste with some groomer laps thrown in here or there.

Regarding width, I'm always biased towards wider skis but I'm in the west (my narrowest downhill ski is actually a 102). The 98s will be a bit more work to get on edge but will also have better float. If you prefer to just tip your ankle and be on edge then maybe the 88 is better. Another thing to consider which is incredibly important is the shape of the ski. I can't find the profiles for the Lib Techs, but it's likely the 88 will have a more on-piste oriented shape than the 98s. This isn't universally true, but narrower skis (such as the 88s) will likely be hookier off piste and more likely to pull you into a turn which is not actually a good thing off piste because it can mess you up in chop.

What does your typical ski day look like? Are you mostly on groomers or mostly off-piste? Or looking to transition to more off-piste skiing than you're currently doing?

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
As everyone has said, sounds like your skis are too short! If you want stability, buy skis that are at least your height. Typically heavier and stiffer skis are more stable BUT then you miss out on the playfulness and maneuverability of a more freestyle oriented ski. They're also harder to ski slower - especially at longer lengths. Examples of these would be the Volkl Mantra/Secret or the Blizzard Black Pearl.

I have no experience with the skis you mentioned, but I do think there are better brands out there. If you want playful but strong skis, check out the Moment Sierras. Full disclosure, I am super biased with Moment as I own 4 pairs of Moment skis (including the Sierras) but obviously there is a reason I'm obsessed with the brand! The Sierras are 98mm but with the triple camber, they grip really well on hard pack and they float amazingly for their width. They're super floaty and fun even in 30+ cm of fresh (I had them out in 50cm of light pow and admittedly, that was a bit too deep for them to be maximum fun which is why I have 116s haha). They're pretty stiff but also playful which is a nice mix. I will say that I initially bought them for in bounds and then transitioned them to a backcountry ski as I didn't find them damp enough for the speed I was skiing (replaced with the Volkl Mantra 102) but if you aren't skiing really fast over rough terrain, I think they'd be great (or if you ski with a more active style). Initially, I had them mounted at the recommended -5 but I didn't like it and moved it 1 cm back to -6. The thing with the Sierras though, is while they grip well on hardpack, with the twin tips you won't get a nice crisp carve like you would with a more traditional tail. I would use them for mostly skiing off piste with some groomer laps thrown in here or there.

Regarding width, I'm always biased towards wider skis but I'm in the west (my narrowest downhill ski is actually a 102). The 98s will be a bit more work to get on edge but will also have better float. If you prefer to just tip your ankle and be on edge then maybe the 88 is better. Another thing to consider which is incredibly important is the shape of the ski. I can't find the profiles for the Lib Techs, but it's likely the 88 will have a more on-piste oriented shape than the 98s. This isn't universally true, but narrower skis (such as the 88s) will likely be hookier off piste and more likely to pull you into a turn which is not actually a good thing off piste because it can mess you up in chop.

What does your typical ski day look like? Are you mostly on groomers or mostly off-piste? Or looking to transition to more off-piste skiing than you're currently doin
What does your typical ski day look like? Are you mostly on groomers or mostly off-piste? Or looking to transition to more off-piste skiing than you're currently doing?

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BELLA 108? If so, did you mount on factory rec triangle ? Or ?
No, I have the wildcat 116s, deathwish 112, wildcat tour 116 and Sierra 98.

I really disliked the -5 mount point on the sierras so moved them back to -6 both on sierras and deathwish (rec is also -5). The wildcats are rec -6 which feels good. I see that the Bella is mounted -5, despite it being the exact same shape as the wildcat. Perhaps they moved the mount point up to -5 to "accommodate a women's centre of gravity". I personally found the tails too long and cumbersome at -5 with the sierras. I dont like being that centered on a ski with camber. If I were to buy the Bella, I'd mount the Bella one cm back from recommended (-6). Probably worth chatting with the moment people though to see their reasoning. I think the Bella would do well at -6 for more traditional skiers! Allows you to drive the tips a bit more.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see that the Bella is mounted -5, despite it being the exact same shape as the wildcat. Perhaps they moved the mount point up to -5 to "accommodate a women's centre of gravity". I personally found the tails too long and cumbersome at -5 with the sierras. I dont like being that centered on a ski with camber. If I were to buy the Bella, I'd mount the Bella one cm back from recommended (-6). Probably worth chatting with the moment people though to see their reasoning. I think the Bella would do well at -6 for more traditional skiers! Allows you to drive the tips a bit more.
Thanks for the info! I did have a looooong chat with them about mount point as I picked up the ski at their new factory. They stated its really best at the suggested line which I guess is -5 per the website......

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info! I did have a looooong chat with them about mount point as I picked up the ski at their new factory. They stated its really best at the suggested line which I guess is -5 per the website......
Yeah, I dunno. I know moment really encourages mounting on the recommended line but the wildcat 179cm is the exact same shape as the bella (just has a stiffer core) and it's at -6. My guess is they're trying to accommodate for the "womanly body". I really like how directional my wildcats feel and I think the -5 would take away from that. I never mount my unisex skis to be +1 to account for a different centre of gravity. That being said, I am fairly tall at 5'7" (and rectangle shaped) so I dont know if that would make a difference regarding my centre of gravity? Haha

Personally, I find -5 is too little ski in front and to much behind. But then again, I'm not much of a freestyle skier! I really did dislike the sierras at -5 but they are a different shape than the wildcats (with their triple camber). I do like my 4frnt ravens at the recommended -5.4 though! But they are reverse-camber.

Last edited:

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm sorry I don't see any text other than my quoted post. Did you reply to what I said?
I tried to….sometimes I seem to get lost in the threads when I try to get too fancy. I’m usually skiing in the Rockies, but regardless I’m largely an on-pist skier which then results in crud as the day progresses. I would love to enjoy powder but find it challenging on my current skis.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite places to ski are in the Rockies. Do you think my current ski in a longer model will give me the added stability that I'm looking for?
Sorry, I just saw your reply! :smile:

If you are mostly on piste I wouldn't go as wide as 100mm. Ski Magazine just came out with their gear guide, and I think looking through it would give you some ideas on whether you want an all mountain or an all mountain wide ski: https://www.skimag.com/collection/2023-winter-gear-guide/ If you are on piste and not yet feeling too adventurous then you could even check out a few of the frontside skis - a couple of them listed are pretty versitile (I would stay away from the ones with integrated bindings).

I personally think if you are skiing a 100 waist ski you'll want to be skiing at least half the time off piste, and skiing powder at times.

When I learned to ski I started with very short and narrow skis, and it really suited me. I actually changed out skis every season and went wider and longer as I progressed. (You can sell your old skis on eBay.) But it wasn't until I really started valuing that time in powder and crud and the entire off piste experience that I embraced the 100 waist. And from what I've heard a 100 waist is only considered to be an everyday ski in the west.

A longer length should help with chatter at high speeds. But while it's hard to demo, if you can I think it's well worth the money!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd suggest looking at boots that are a bit stiffer. 85 is pretty soft given your stats. I realize these flex ratings are so variable given each boot from each manufacturer, but you could use a stiffer flex. I am 95 pounds and wouldn't have a chance in an 85 flex boot... way too soft, especially for hard pack groomers.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd suggest looking at boots that are a bit stiffer. 85 is pretty soft given your stats. I realize these flex ratings are so variable given each boot from each manufacturer, but you could use a stiffer flex. I am 95 pounds and wouldn't have a chance in an 85 flex boot.
I agree! And often you will have toe and foot issues if your boots can't stand up to your skis!

Reactions: AJM

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
Excellent advice! I’ll check out that link AND I’ll be
Sorry, I just saw your reply! :smile:

If you are mostly on piste I wouldn't go as wide as 100mm. Ski Magazine just came out with their gear guide, and I think looking through it would give you some ideas on whether you want an all mountain or an all mountain wide ski: https://www.skimag.com/collection/2023-winter-gear-guide/ If you are on piste and not yet feeling too adventurous then you could even check out a few of the frontside skis - a couple of them listed are pretty versitile (I would stay away from the ones with integrated bindings).

I personally think if you are skiing a 100 waist ski you'll want to be skiing at least half the time off piste, and skiing powder at times.

When I learned to ski I started with very short and narrow skis, and it really suited me. I actually changed out skis every season and went wider and longer as I progressed. (You can sell your old skis on eBay.) But it wasn't until I really started valuing that time in powder and crud and the entire off piste experience that I embraced the 100 waist. And from what I've heard a 100 waist is only considered to be an everyday ski in the west.

A longer length should help with chatter at high speeds. But while it's hard to demo, if you can I think it's well worth the money!
demoing a variety of skis this season. I’ve tried selling my skis on eBay and people want stuff practically free. I’m trying a few other sites now

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh awesome! I've fallen in love with skis on the first run. I wish they had more demo days.

I think because I only used the skis for one season they were easier to sell on eBay. They looked new. And I always had the buyers pay shipping. Craigslist is great too, with no fees. I sold my last skis for $350 on Craigslist, but it took six months for someone to finally buy them! They were old so I was happy, though.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve tried selling my skis on eBay and people want stuff practically free. I’m trying a few other sites now
Maybe wait a while and list them again, I sold my Black Pearls but had very little interest and I think it was because I was too early, finally sold them but could've got more if I'd waited until closer to the season starting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna