• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom 15% off the DIY kit until Aug. 10, 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
The annual DPS Dreamtime sale is on. Includes 15% off the Phantom Glide DIY kit.

For more about Phantom base treatment:

All the skis I have are treated with Phantom at this point. Makes it much easier during late season out west or during warm periods at Massanutten, my home hill in northern VA.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Every single pair of my skis have this.
Never looked back. Traditional waxing is terrible for the envoironment and time consuming if you ski everyday.

I never did it myself, but it is amazing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
i'm so tempted, but i'm not sure i trust myself not to screw it up.
It's really quite easy, especially now that only one packet is needed. Just need to get it done while there is still good sunshine in Illinois.

Do you have a pair of older skis at this point?

Reactions: RJ*

RJ*

Angel Diva
Hi @marzNC I’m tempted too. What are your top tips for self application?
No need to worry about sunshine down here :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi @marzNC I’m tempted too. What are your top tips for self application?
No need to worry about sunshine down here :smile:
Ideally, skis to be treated would be completely clean after a stone grind. I treated a pair of skis that were new but had been waxed and skied a few days. I brushed off as much wax as possible but didn't bother with a liquid cleaner. The kit comes with gloves and something to spread the stuff. Good to put down plastic or newspapers to protect the floor if applying indoors.

Here's some advice from the Aussie DPS rep.

". . .
The reason we say run the skis or boards over snow for a few laps is to ensure all of the Phantom residue is off the base of your skis so any left over residue doesn't adhere to your skins and potentially inhibit the adhesion.

No issue whatsoever with how Phantom works. We're just saying that there will be some residue left on the surface of the skis which will be removed with a few runs.
. . ."

" . . .
The application of Phantom will be done with a sponge. The nylon brush is for removal of the excess after it has dried.

Just make sure the bristles aren't too large (thick). You need the bristles to get into whatever structure you've put on your base. Plenty of elbow grease required and make sure it's fully dry before you start to remove the excess Phantom."

Note that you don't have to use every drop that comes out of the packet. Just need to cover the entire base. Since I have relatively short skis (155-160cm), I used two kits to treat three pairs of skis (2 for me, 1 for my daughter).

Here's how I set skis in the sun. Wanted to be able to move them around to catch the sun if needed. I was using the Phantom 2.0 that came with A and B packets, each requiring an hour in the sun to cure.
DPS Phantom 2.0 two pairs Nov2018.jpg

The ski on the right hasn't been brushed out after curing. The one on the left if how it looked after brushing. Like with wax, if there is excess Phantom then more brushing is needed to get it off. The instructions call for using water during the final cleaning step. That's not really necessary but does mean a better finish.
DPS Phantom bases Dec 2020 - 1.jpg

Reactions: RJ*

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Does anyone know the difference between the Phantom sold by Backcountry/evo/OGE for $80 vs the one sold by DPS for $85?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone know the difference between the Phantom sold by Backcountry/evo/OGE for $80 vs the one sold by DPS for $85?
Very unlikely to be any difference. The single cure version of Phantom 2.0 has been sold for a few years.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
It's really quite easy, especially now that only one packet is needed. Just need to get it done while there is still good sunshine in Illinois.

Do you have a pair of older skis at this point?
I just sold 3 pairs of older skis. I have the Blossom Whiteouts that I got at the end of last season and skied on at Alta and a brand new pair of DPS Pagoda. I'd like to do both. I think there's a shop in Ann Arbor, MI that does Phantom, but it it's easy, I might do it myself.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just sold 3 pairs of older skis. I have the Blossom Whiteouts that I got at the end of last season and skied on at Alta and a brand new pair of DPS Pagoda. I'd like to do both. I think there's a shop in Ann Arbor, MI that does Phantom, but it it's easy, I might do it myself.
Yep, there is a shop in Ann Arbor and another in Plymouth that have a Cure Station. You might call and see what they charge to do a Phantom treatment. The prices I've heard of range from $100-200 depending on the time of year and region. That includes the Phantom itself.

I had my DPS Zelda skis done in SLC last April. Since they live with Bill in NM, that was the easiest approach. Originally wasn't going to treat them, but have Phantom bases makes them that much more fun for spring skiing. Bill had his new skis done too.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I'm going up to Ann Arbor in November for work. It's $123, according to their web site. Since I'm only making one trip out west this season (Taos), I think I'll just get the DPS done. I don't think I'll take my Blossoms out there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm going up to Ann Arbor in November for work. It's $123, according to their web site. Since I'm only making one trip out west this season (Taos), I think I'll just get the DPS done. I don't think I'll take my Blossoms out there.
Best to call ahead and see how long you need to leave the skis. In SLC, they were busy enough in early April that we needed to get the skis to the shop on Fri afternoon in order to pick them up on Sat afternoon.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Sale extended a couple days to August 12.
darn - I didn't see this until today! I really want to treat my new skis before Taos, but there's nowhere around here to get it done. I'd do it myself, although Rita wants to have hers done professionally. Do the skis have to be ground even if they're new (only skied on for the week in TSV)? Is that something I can do, too (have never waxed my own skis).

marzNC

Angel Diva
darn - I didn't see this until today! I really want to treat my new skis before Taos, but there's nowhere around here to get it done. I'd do it myself, although Rita wants to have hers done professionally. Do the skis have to be ground even if they're new (only skied on for the week in TSV)? Is that something I can do, too (have never waxed my own skis).
Nope, do not need to have a stone grind before treating with Phantom. I only did that for one pair of skis and I've treated four pairs at home.

Idea is to start with bases that are as clean as possible. Base cleaner can be used but not necessary. Good brushing is enough.

No experience waxing required. Should still be a video about the process. If you can't find one, I can look around.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Nope, do not need to have a stone grind before treating with Phantom. I only did that for one pair of skis and I've treated four pairs at home.

Idea is to start with bases that are as clean as possible. Base cleaner can be used but not necessary. Good brushing is enough.

No experience waxing required. Should still be a video about the process. If you can't find one, I can look around.
Thanks. I'll start keeping my eyes open for a deal on the product.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
FYI the $80 price is still valid at Outdoor Gear Exchange:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
FYI the $80 price is still valid at Outdoor Gear Exchange:
Thanks! I'll check it out!

RJ*

Angel Diva
Thanks @ilovepugs and @marzNC for the heads up on the promo. I finally bought it.
I’ve been hesitant at the thought of applying it myself and kept thinking I’d drive up to Telluride at some point to get them done, but there’s just too much going on right now.
The application seems simple enough- let’s see how it goes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly