• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big SNOW indoor slope in NJ re-opening for Summer 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
Big SNOW will finally be able to re-open at the end of May. That means making turns on indoor snow in NJ will be an option for northeast Divas during Summer/Fall 2022.

The latest announcement is that there will be 100 Summer Passes sold for $750. A Summer Pass will be good for unlimited access until Sept. 16. The 6-pack (2-hour sessions) is $150.

For those unfamiliar with Big SNOW:

October 2020
RESORT REVIEW: INDOOR SKIING AT BIG SNOW AMERICAN DREAM

TR Big SNOW American Dream, indoor slope in NJ, 2021

MissySki

Angel Diva
That seems UBER expensive for a season pass there to me. I’d be tempted if I lived very close by and could go often in the offseason from regular skiing though. You need to go quite a lot to break even.

I am looking forward to the next diva meetup this summer though!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
$750 is high given a 6-pack is $150. Though, honestly, I wouldn't hate that model for all season passes - 5 or 10 packs for a reasonable price, then comparatively pricey season passes for people who truly go a lot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
$750 is high given a 6-pack is $150. Though, honestly, I wouldn't hate that model for all season passes - 5 or 10 packs for a reasonable price, then comparatively pricey season passes for people who truly go a lot.
Totally! It’s just a really high price given the size and fact that a 2 hour window is more than enough time there to get your fix for awhile :smile:. If you have a kid who is always in the terrain park there it might make more sense.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
You'd really have to go a lot between now and Sept 16 to make it worth it. I gotta say though, Big Snow would have been an absolute game changer for me when I lived in NYC. It's a lot effort and expense to get out of the city when you don't have a car, and being able to hop on a bus and make some turns for an hour every few weeks, all year, would have been amazing. Access to the 20-something degree temperatures in there in NYC July alone would have been amazing. :smile:

There are a LOT of people who live within easy transit distance / 15 min drive distance of Big Snow. I think those season passes are aimed squarely at people in the immediate metro area.

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
That is a LOT of money. If I used a six pack it would be a lot. Unfortunately, I have yet to check out Big Snow. I really hope I can attend the next Diva meetup there. Between work, classes, and house renovations I've missed the other gatherings!

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are a LOT of people who live within easy transit distance / 15 min drive distance of Big Snow. I think those season passes are aimed squarely at people in the immediate metro area.
Big SNOW is only selling 100 of the Summer Passes, so seems like a bit of an experiment. Presumably there have been people who live close by asking about the idea.

The summer camp program for kids 5-12 that runs 4 afternoons is $480, includes all rental gear and outwear.

For context, a membership to a climbing gym in NYC can be $125 per month. May-Aug is four months so would be $500.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting to see the pricing! $750 just for summer seems a lot to me. We have one indoor slope here in New Zealand. Snow Planet is around 1/2 the size of Big Snow, I think. They lean heavily into monthly/yearly passes much like a gym membership. For reference, the nearest skifield is a 1-2hr flight + 45-90mins driving, or 4-5hrs driving, so it's a good resource for the off-season and weekday training (many of the richer schools up here still have ski teams and go down every weekend in winter) although the slope is fairly mellow and short.

A 2hr pass in the daytime is $NZ57, but 4 hrs is only $NZ60. Evenings are $NZ30-$46 for 2-6 hours.
Then there is the monthly pass at $NZ99 ($99 joining fee, but a "pay for only the months you want to go" system) or yearly for $NZ849. Compared to the climbing gyms it's pretty reasonable, there's one nearby that's $NZ100/month for a similar monthly setup.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Summer Pass is no longer in the Big SNOW e-store, so presumably already sold out the 100 passes.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. From Instagram:
"Summer Break Pass has sold out! If you were thinking of getting one and missed out, keep your eyes out after we open. The guest experience is always a priority for us. We only released a limited amount to start so that we could see how pass use effects our overall experience and line volume. If after we open we feel like we can release more, we may."

marzNC

Angel Diva
The local buzz is starting for re-opening day at Big SNOW planned for May 27.

May 11, 2022
" . . .
The frigid park will open from 1 p.m. until 9 p.m. [on May 27] and will host a snow-studded beach party with a DJ, live ice sculpting, complimentary photo shoot sessions, giveaways and the chance to meet and ride with athletes from Burton.

The ceremonial “first chair” for the reopening will honor members of the fire departments that responded to the blaze that caused the shut down. Discounted tickets will also be available to responding firefighters and their families who want to hit the slopes this summer.

“We are tremendously thankful for the quick response and efforts made by the local fire departments last fall,” McLeod said.

. . ."

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
I’d really like to go here sometime this summer— I’m all the way up in Vermont but have other reasons to be in the area now and then. Is there a diva meetup planned at some point? Any chance anyone would want to meet there on a weekday? (And people do ski there, right? So many snowboarders on their social media it’s hard to tell!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’d really like to go here sometime this summer— I’m all the way up in Vermont but have other reasons to be in the area now and then. Is there a diva meetup planned at some point? Any chance anyone would want to meet there on a weekday? (And people do ski there, right? So many snowboarders on their social media it’s hard to tell!)
Yep, there are plenty of skiers at Big SNOW. There were a couple of Diva meetups last summer. We had a couple planned for the fall but it had to be cancelled because of the fire in late September.

Since you are relatively new, did you know that meetups are set up in threads that are for Divas Only? You need some more posts to see all those sections. The one you should be able to see already is called Getting To Know You.

Here are trip reports from last summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ve never heard of this before! I live in PA and this gives me hope that I’ll make it there this summer!! I’m seriously in withdrawal .
Since you are new, be good if you posted a bit more in order to be able to see the Divas Only Meet On The Hill section. Look around and see if you can see the Getting To Know You section for a self-introduction thread. There is another Diva in central PA who went to a Big SNOW meetup last summer. Maybe you could carpool?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly