• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Photo of the day

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do they groom in the morning because they want to do it after the lower nighttime temps?
The timing of grooming in the spring is very dependent on temperatures. If it's been warm, don't want to wait too long before smoothing the snow out. Especially if it's going to get cold enough to free solid overnight. If it's been too warm, better to not mess with the snow until it sets up. Especially at the base when snow levels are low. Don't want a groomer machine to sink into the ground underneath the snow cover. Similar considerations during early season when coverage is thin.

The first shift for groomers starts at 4pm. The second shift starts in the middle of the night, so those groomers are still working until everything is finished. The groomers are always back at the garage by 8am or so if there is morning grooming. The lifts open at Alta at 9:15am.

Christy

Angel Diva
I had to fly to SLC for work in eastern NV and wanted to do something fun after. I hadn't been to Capitol Reef NP since the mid 90s so that was it. Wow, it was even more spectacular than I remembered, and my anti crowd strategies worked. I only saw 4 people on my main hike yesterday, and had a wonderful time just lying on my back watching clouds on the rock at the end (first photo). Such a terrific trip.20220504_110207-02.jpeg

20220504_190014-01-01-01.jpeg
20220504_100740-01-01.jpeg

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... Coverage is great and the forecast for the next few weeks is pretty wintery! We have to be out of town late this week for a wedding in St. Louis, but seems like things might still be in good shape when we get back. ...

Narrator: Things were not, in fact, still in good shape when they got back.

PXL_20220514_185835278.jpg

Well - it's spring! Things fell apart fast this past week; it's been warm. It feels like it's gonna be a stretch to make even the first weekend in June, but they do have things on the calendar through then. We'll see!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Out for a bike ride this morning. Sunrise at high tide. Had an east wind all day yesterday so there are pretty good waves. Surfers were starting starting to show up. Bonus on the ride - a tanker going from Quincy to Boston thru Hull Gut.

Edit - Sorry, I have no idea why these are fuzzy. They looked very good on my phone. Probably shouldn't used my phone to post.

Attachments

• 20220522_062232.jpg
    20220522_062232.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220522_053233.jpg
    20220522_053233.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Gorgeous day at A-Basin on Saturday. Coverage is great and the forecast for the next few weeks is pretty wintery! We have to be out of town late this week for a wedding in St. Louis, but seems like things might still be in good shape when we get back. <3

View attachment 18700
I am gonna try skiing there when Aspen closes next season!

Looking great!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I did a bit of trail walking today to check on a grove of rhododendrons to see if they're starting to bloom. I found a bonus flower - 4 lady's slippers in bloom. The rhododendrons are starting to bloom but the lady's slippers made my day as they are rare. The sideways one was taken with the super macro setting on my camera. I have no idea why portrait keeps going sideways.20220524_110657.jpgP5240008.JPG

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since rhododendrons were mentioned . . . they are almost over in the North Carolina mountains near Asheville. I stopped by Biltmore Gardens and Estate last week when visiting my daughter. A few late bloomers were pretty spectacular.

Mid-May 2022 near the Biltmore Azalea Garden
Biltmore bush - 1.jpegBiltmore bush - 2.jpeg

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Since rhododendrons were mentioned . . . they are almost over in the North Carolina mountains near Asheville. I stopped by Biltmore Gardens and Estate last week when visiting my daughter. A few late bloomers were pretty spectacular.

Mid-May 2022 near the Biltmore Azalea Garden
View attachment 18769View attachment 18770
I regret not getting to Asheville and the Biltmore Estate when we lived in the DC area. Also DH's niece went to App State and we went to visit her a couple times. Just never got there.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went on a hike/ walk in the Ble Hills yesterday and saw some lady slippers. Silly me didn’t think to snap a pic.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
It's so fun to see Killington going deep into spring! They didn't really do that back when I lived back east and they were owned by the American Skiing Co.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly