• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Utah late March 2022: Brighton, PowMow, Snowbird, Alta

marzNC

Angel Diva
I started using my MCP today. Alta doesn't charge for the RFID card. They use one that feels more like. a piece of cardboard than a plastic credit card. After I've used the included days, I'll be able to link a credit card to be able to use it as direct-to-lift with a 50% discount for additional days.

AY bought an advanced ticket for Alta for April 2 because we were set on only skiing Alta for his last ski day. He could pick up the RFID card the afternoon before. With enough advanced planning, that was cheaper than using Ikon F&F because that's a combo Alta/Snowbird ticket.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We ate at Watson's for lunch. The cafeteria is pretty much back to normal. The Collins Grill didn't open for 2021-22.

While there is someone at the ski school desk 12:00-1:30, the Adult Mountain Workshop is no longer an option. What can be done is to set up private lessons without having to call or go to the Alta Ski School office at Albion.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sharing a 4BR/2BA house I found on VRBO worked out well. The location meant that driving to LCC avoided the intersection where the road to BCC starts. The cost came out under $75 per person per night split 4-ways. We each had a private bedroom and we had a full kitchen. Always nice to have space to spread out compared to sharing a motel room. The only cooking anyone did was for breakfast. Being in a house easier to have food for an afternoon snack and leftovers for Saturday dinner before we check out on Sunday morning.

I also wanted to eat in on Saturday so I could watch the Carolina-Duke NCAA Final Four game. My alma mater, Carolina, won. So I'll be watching the Championship game on Monday.:yahoo:

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sharing a 4BR/2BA house I found on VRBO worked out well. The location meant that driving to LCC avoided the intersection where the road to BCC starts. The cost came out under $75 per person per night split 4-ways. We each had a private bedroom and we had a full kitchen. Always nice to have space to spread out compared to sharing a motel room. The only cooking anyone did was for breakfast. Being in a house easier to have food for an afternoon snack and leftovers for Saturday dinner before we check out on Sunday morning.

I also wanted to eat in on Saturday so I could watch the Carolina-Duke NCAA Final Four game. My alma mater, Carolina, won. So I'll be watching the Championship game on Monday.:yahoo:
I was going to ask why you chose the Sandy location for your VRBO. How long was the drive to PowMow, and up to Alta? Go Carolina

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goldmine of useful and fun information on many topics. Great photos too. Thank you for sharing your trip experience with us!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw MarzNC in the Sugarloaf line at Alta Friday. It's a small world. Snow softened up a bit in the afternoon, Ballroom was actually really good.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was going to ask why you chose the Sandy location for your VRBO. How long was the drive to PowMow, and up to Alta? Go Carolina
Sandy or Midvale are the areas with good, relatively inexpensive rental houses/condos. The 4BR/2BA 2-story half of a duplex I picked was about the same price as some 3BR/2BA houses. Going to LCC from Sandy takes about 30 minutes with no traffic. Same for BCC for Brighton and Solitude.

I stayed in Midvale at a relatively inexpensive 2-star motel a while back when I was just starting to do mid-season trips out west. The area has changed quite a bit. Looks far more upscale in terms of restaurants and shopping centers. We were surprised at how busy the popular restaurants were midweek.

Cottonwood Heights has plenty of rental properties. Tend to be a bit more upscale and so a bit more expensive. Saves 5-10 minutes of driving to the Cottonwoods.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saw MarzNC in the Sugarloaf line at Alta Friday. It's a small world. Snow softened up a bit in the afternoon, Ballroom was actually really good.
We took full advantage of what you showed me and my friends during our first trip to Brighton a while back.

I haven't been out Ballroom yet but the others went all the way out.

In general, for a spring skiing trip the conditions have been quite good. It's nice to not have to worry about bundling up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
AY bought an advanced ticket for Alta for April 2 because we were set on only skiing Alta for his last ski day. He could pick up the RFID card the afternoon before. With enough advanced planning, that was cheaper than using Ikon F&F because that's a combo Alta/Snowbird ticket.
Another advantage of AY buying an Alta ticket is that he got a code for a $15 discount for parking on Saturday. So the charge was $10. Alta is using Honk Mobile software for parking. The process seems to be that after people are parked in the morning, someone can go through the lot checking license plate numbers. The sign at the entrance to the parking lots say "Fines will be issued." We were a little confused when no one asked to see the parking pass I'd gotten online.

After 1pm, parking is free in all Alta lots and along the road where day parking is allowed.

Alta Lodge now has a few dedicated parking spaces. Bill got a pass for one since he's a regular guest and is staying for two weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I played with skis by Blizzard, Stöckli, and Head.
Here are my comments about the skis I checked out:

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another advantage of AY buying an Alta ticket is that he got a code for a $15 discount for parking on Saturday. So the charge was $10. Alta is using Honk Mobile software for parking. The process seems to be that after people are parked in the morning, someone can go through the lot checking license plate numbers. The sign at the entrance to the parking lots say "Fines will be issued." We were a little confused when no one asked to see the parking pass I'd gotten online.

After 1pm, parking is free in all Alta lots and along the road where day parking is allowed.

Alta Lodge now has a few dedicated parking spaces. Bill got a pass for one since he's a regular guest and is staying for two weeks.
Parking check is done by a pickup truck with a camera scanning license plates. The fine is $75 which doubles after 10 days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even though it wasn't a powder day, I was very glad the weather cooperated to make it worth the drive from SLC to ski PowMow during this trip. Haven't been that often, but it's in my Top Ten list.

PowMow's history is unique. It remains unique for many reasons. I hope it stays that way. Definitely worth a visit for anyone who has an Indy Pass and finds themselves in SLC. Worth the extra effort of planning ahead and making a reservation.

April 2021

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly