• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for the perfect ski when you can only have one

GrandeDameSkier

Diva in Training
Hi all, looking for some insight for some new skis. I am an older (57) advanced intermediate skier, preferring groomers to trees and usually avoiding all but baby bumps. I’m a one quiver girl as I just don’t get to ski as often as I use to now that I’m living in NC. I ski Vermont a few times a year and do a week out west. My current (15 year old) skis are Head Wild Thang skis which I loved and skied them into the ground. But now they feel heavy and as the day goes on they just feel like too much work.

I’m looking for a ski that’s stable at speed when I’m feeling good in the am, but forgiving and not fatiguing soI can ski longer in the afternoon. Currently skiing on a 163 (5’8” 180) so I’m nervous to go much shorter.

Been reviewing the following and would love some insight, on these or any others suggestions.

Volkl Yumi 84
Blizzard BP 88
Head Absolute Joy

I have talked myself out of Nordica Santa Ana and the Volkl Kenya loving the reviews but wondering if this is more ski then I’m looking for at this point. Thoughts here would be welcome also.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello there! Always fun to "meet" someone in NC. I'm in the Triangle area. Massanutten is my home hill and I ski out west a fair amount. Nice to be retired and have ski/travel buddies.

I'm at the other end of the size spectrum as a petite advanced skier. My skis for the east when I'm driving are the Head Absolut Joy. But at 78 underfoot I don't take them out west. That said, when I was an adventurous intermediate about 10 years ago, my all-mountain skis were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel. I used them all over the southeast and for spring break trips to Alta with my daughter.

Been a while since I've demo'd the Yumi or the BP88 but they would both be good as a 1-ski quiver.

Do want to buy without demo'ing? Any skis made after 2020 will be less work than 15yo skis.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
Following this because I am looking at the same ones! I’ve demoed the BP 88 and 82 and love how they turn. I also tried the Yumi 84 the other day and am taking them out again tomorrow. They are super light and I want to make sure they’re good for crud and ice before I make the leap but they are definitely the ones I am leaning towards. I only did a couple runs on them before, but it’s hard to imagine ever getting tired on them. The black pearls are amazing but I worry the 88 is a bit much with a knee issue I have. My partner has the Absolut Joys and enjoys the ease of putting them on edge, though she finds them a bit soft and a liability in any sort of crud or slush. I’ve also heard really good things about the Atomic Maven 86 so that might be one more to look at.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Following this because I am looking at the same ones! I’ve demoed the BP 88 and 82 and love how they turn. I also tried the Yumi 84 the other day and am taking them out again tomorrow. They are super light and I want to make sure they’re good for crud and ice before I make the leap but they are definitely the ones I am leaning towards. I only did a couple runs on them before, but it’s hard to imagine ever getting tired on them. The black pearls are amazing but I worry the 88 is a bit much with a knee issue I have. My partner has the Absolut Joys and enjoys the ease of putting them on edge, though she finds them a bit soft and a liability in any sort of crud or slush. I’ve also heard really good things about the Atomic Maven 86 so that might be one more to look at.
Have you considered the Sheeva 9?

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
Have you considered the Sheeva 9?
We actually just bought a pair for my daughter to use when she’s not racing. They are the right length for me, so I am hoping to take them out at some point and see if we mesh. I did one run on them and they seemed really nice but were wider than what I am used to and it made me nervous. My left knee has some wonky geometry and a patella that is prone to dislocation, and wider skis feel pretty risky. I haven’t figured out yet whether it’s something I can overcome with technique or PT, but for now am trying to be careful till I get that figured out.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
We actually just bought a pair for my daughter to use when she’s not racing. They are the right length for me, so I am hoping to take them out at some point and see if we mesh. I did one run on them and they seemed really nice but were wider than what I am used to and it made me nervous. My left knee has some wonky geometry and a patella that is prone to dislocation, and wider skis feel pretty risky. I haven’t figured out yet whether it’s something I can overcome with technique or PT, but for now am trying to be careful till I get that figured out.
I tried them and the Yumi 84 together, and while I really liked the Yumi, I loved the Sheeva 9, and I was going from Volkl Sol with 75 underfoot to the Sheeva (90 in the 148cm). I didn't notice a significant difference in terms of stress on my knees from the wider ski, and found they could turn on a dime, but all the longer lengths have a width of 92 (isn't that weird?).
They're also very light and flexible, and seemed to do equally well in bumps and crud (although there wasn't that much crud at TSV, where I demo'd them). You should defintely try out your daughter's pair!

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
I tried them and the Yumi 84 together, and while I really liked the Yumi, I loved the Sheeva 9, and I was going from Volkl Sol with 75 underfoot to the Sheeva (90 in the 148cm). I didn't notice a significant difference in terms of stress on my knees from the wider ski, and found they could turn on a dime, but all the longer lengths have a width of 92 (isn't that weird?).
They're also very light and flexible, and seemed to do equally well in bumps and crud (although there wasn't that much crud at TSV, where I demo'd them). You should defintely try out your daughter's pair!
I can’t wait to take them out based on your description! I ended up trying the Wildcat 82C today and loved them so much that I bought a pair. They aren’t as forgiving as some other skis I’ve tried, but I think I’ll be able to progress on them well. Hopefully the Sheevas will work out when I want to do bumps, etc. Guess I abandoned the one ski quiver idea. :p

shadoj

Angel Diva
I can’t wait to take them out based on your description! I ended up trying the Wildcat 82C today and loved them so much that I bought a pair. They aren’t as forgiving as some other skis I’ve tried, but I think I’ll be able to progress on them well. Hopefully the Sheevas will work out when I want to do bumps, etc. Guess I abandoned the one ski quiver idea. :p
Congrats! I think you'll love your new skis, and you might have to fight your daughter on powder days.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats indeed and welcome to the Wildcat club! I’ve got the 86 CX and love to see the line gaining a wee bit of recognition as I’ve been really happy with mine (just adjusting to having sized up in length).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly