• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How cold is TOO cold?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yup! 2 runs at MRG and my toes were freezing. The rest of me was toasty warm though - no wind, so it was really not that cold! Balaclava, single base layer, mid layer and insulated jacket and pants did me just fine.

Do you use any type of foot warmer? I literally could not ski right now if it weren’t for my Hotronics.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi @Ktbikes0 - So glad you joined us! The layers sure make a difference, as well as the heated gear. I am wary because I'm in the midst of getting new boots fitted, and the Hotronics should go into the new ones. I'm still skiing the old ones, and the Hotronics quit! It's probably either wires or the batteries, which is not insurmountable at all. But I'm headed up North for Diva East, and we are looking at record temps. I've gathered my boot gloves and have bought a bunch of toe warmers.

But anyhow, I stopped by to say

:welcome:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi @Ktbikes0 - So glad you joined us! The layers sure make a difference, as well as the heated gear. I am wary because I'm in the midst of getting new boots fitted, and the Hotronics should go into the new ones. I'm still skiing the old ones, and the Hotronics quit! It's probably either wires or the batteries, which is not insurmountable at all. But I'm headed up North for Diva East, and we are looking at record temps. I've gathered my boot gloves and have bought a bunch of toe warmers.

But anyhow, I stopped by to say

:welcome:

Are your batteries shutting off? If so, probably the batteries. If not, probably the elements. In either case, I’d just replace the culprit now ahead of Diva East regardless of new boots coming. If it’s batteries you’ll still need the batteries with the new boots. If it’s the elements they’re really cheap so might as well do it even if it’s a small loss when transitioning to the new boots. Skiing with warm feet you don’t have to think about.. priceless!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to note: yesterday it was -13°F when I woke up, and I really thought twice about heading out to ski. I delayed a little bit, so when I started skiing at 10 it was -2°F. HOWEVER, there was NO WIND and full sun in a brilliant blue sky. I had on three base layers on the bottom plus insulated pants, two base layers plus a fleece and a Patagonia nano-puff under my (insulated) jacket, Hotronics in my boots, heated mittens (Chaval SuperNovas), and yes, my furry helmet hood, and I was not cold at all. Turned out to be the best day of the season so far.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Do you use any type of foot warmer? I literally could not ski right now if it weren’t for my Hotronics.
No - I was dumb and didn’t tuck any toe warmers into my boots before skiing. I immediately went and bought Boot Gloves yesterday. It’s a lot warmer today but my feet were very comfortable this afternoon for sure.

MissySki

Angel Diva
No - I was dumb and didn’t tuck any toe warmers into my boots before skiing. I immediately went and bought Boot Gloves yesterday. It’s a lot warmer today but my feet were very comfortable this afternoon for sure.

Excellent! I’ve definitely had my boot gloves on recently too, they’re a great add to the arsenal.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I figure I might as well go for the $30 solution before the $300 solution first!
I still need the Hotronics.. my feet are always cold even outside of skiing though haha. I can’t fit the disposable foot warmers in my boots either so the heaters are a must for me.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Skied today… hit the hill right as lifts started spinning at 9 am and the windchill was -8.
Gear: hood, helmet, goggles, gaiter under hood, synthetic baselayer, full zip sweater thing, insulated jacket, uninsulated capris, insulated snowpants, smartwool socks, gloves with chemical heat packs stuffed into the warmer pockets (with liners).

Noticed: nose was cold - I would literally tap my nose on every lift ride to make sure that I could feel it. LOL. Toes got a LITTLE cold on the lift rides, but otherwise fine. When I took my helmet off, I noticed my ears tingled a little, so they must have been colder than I thought. I think part of it is that I haven’t mastered snugging up the hood without making myself claustrophobic yet…

I got in about 25 laps of Midwest skiing in 90 minutes off mostly a detachable lift with zero waiting in line - but it was peaceful, it snowed last night, and it was sunny. All in all a good day.
Summary: it’s not too cold to ski at -8 windchill.
:ski2:

Christy

Angel Diva
Just for fun--I feel so dainty. I think most of us PNWers are dainty. We are certainly dainty today.

I will ski today. It was 4F at Snoqualmie when I first checked. That is super cold for us. We had a storm a couple days ago and the snow should be amazing. It's sunny. The morning report was glowing. It's Seattle schools mid-winter break. It SHOULD be busy. But...it's still only 8F. Here's the scene at 2 Snoqualmie bases. Lol! No one wants to be out in the cold. Maybe I'll leave in an hour.

1645636428423.png

1645636222813.png

Attachments

• 1645636170343.png
    1645636170343.png
    457.2 KB · Views: 3

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Just for fun--I feel so dainty. I think most of us PNWers are dainty. We are certainly dainty today.

I will ski today. It was 4F at Snoqualmie when I first checked. That is super cold for us. We had a storm a couple days ago and the snow should be amazing. It's sunny. The morning report was glowing. It's Seattle schools mid-winter break. It SHOULD be busy. But...it's still only 8F.
Dr Pugs said that yesterday, at Big Sky, -10F was “really not that cold.” Lol.

Looks great out there! I’m jealous! It was 50F this morning. Mad River Glen is major adventure skiing today… I *could* ski it, so I did, but there was a lot of dirt and ice patch dodging and I didn’t want to burn myself out before Diva West. 57B51320-995B-4DDB-ACBC-028E5D438B16.jpeg
This trail is open. I did not ski it because I wasn’t confident I could. Also, because I don’t want to hurt myself before traveling.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Looks great out there! I’m jealous! It was 50F this morning. Mad River Glen is major adventure skiing today… I *could* ski it, so I did, but there was a lot of dirt and ice patch dodging and I didn’t want to burn myself out before Diva West. View attachment 18057
This trail is open. I did not ski it because I wasn’t confident I could. Also, because I don’t want to hurt myself before traveling.

Out West temperatures always feel a lot warmer to me than the comparable range at home. I guess due to the lower humidity?

That's ummmm wow, like end of the season spring skiing.. I'd skip that right now too,

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
FYI, it was so cold this weekend when I was skiing that the snow was SUPER squeaky. Problem? I had just waxed my skis but a little in a hurry - and if you recall, I’m still a fairly inexperienced waxer - I literally spent my first hour wondering if I had messed up…they skied fine, but they were SO noisy when I was skating or shuffling - fine when skiing, obvi. (It was the cold - I had to look it up)

Have any of you experienced this? When I’m squeaking around, I feel distinctly UNDAINTY.

FWIW, skiing in this BS is the only thing keeping me sane in the winter, so I’m cool with it.

newboots

Angel Diva
Ski it! Work up some heat! Wear all the layers!

I had the very best time skiing ever when we were at Saddleback. Woke up that day to -19, but hey, it warmed up. Nobody on the trails, perfect snow. I want to go back and stay there! (I do realize conditions change there, too, but wow . . .)

Christy

Angel Diva

Looks great out there! I’m jealous! It was 50F this morning. Mad River Glen is major adventure skiing today… I *could* ski it, so I did, but there was a lot of dirt and ice patch dodging and I didn’t want to burn myself out before Diva West. View attachment 18057

Is there good coverage elsewhere? They aren't really charging people to ski a whole mountain that looks like that, right?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Is there good coverage elsewhere? They aren't really charging people to ski a whole mountain that looks like that, right?
Nope! Only one of the two main mountain lifts was open. Tickets nonrefundable even due to terrain, conditions, weather, etc. definitely saw some beginners snowplowing and dodging ice patches in some flat areas. I guess that’s a risk you take skiing at a mountain that relies mostly on natural snow… but I’m sure no one counted on president’s Week looking *this* bad.

the skiing *was* fun, though. But more work than I was prepared to put in given the upcoming trip!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly