• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old versus New?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@KimarieSnow maybe someone on this forum can point you to a shop that'll offer a better experience, not patronize you, have good advice. Trust your gut if you feel a sales dude is just going through a spiel. You're an experienced skier and shouldn't feel the need to put up with questionable advice from someone who doesn't know (or believe) you or doesn't care to take the time to understand your needs/desires.

It's so easy to get overwhelmed with all the technical details and reviews that are on the internet. I like to get into the weeds when I'm researching skis but then I have to come up fo air--too much info! It's likely there are several skis I'd be happy with, but once the money is spent and I'm on a new pair, I adjust. Sometimes it's clear I made a wrong choice (like too short for example), but otherwise I adjust, ski it, and enjoy it.

Paging @nopoleskier because her experience might be helpful. She had a pair of Atomic Clouds that were like rockets (her description I think).

Last edited:

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm…On the boots. I’ve skied in them 6 times this season and they seem great - def not too big. By “comfy” I meant - I’m not crying to get them off. They don’t seem too big though. I’ll keep track for certain. While I have been skiing on vintage skis, my boots and bindings have always been modern. So I’m feel certain they aren’t too big.
Not to harp on the boots since you're happy with them, but if you're a size 5, they're probably too big. I went through a heck of a time trying to find boots that fit properly, and I'm street size 5.5-6. Do you know what your boot size is? I think as of last year, Rossignol didn't make boots under 23.5. I measured as 21.5 but made do with a low volume 22.5. It gets even more confusing because some companies save money by not actually reducing the boot shell size, they just put a smaller liner in and call it a smaller size (this is terrible for performance). I think I remember seeing a chart where Rossignol was one of those companies, but I can't find it now...

If you ever notice shin bang (bruised shins) after skiing, or you feel like your foot moves before the ski moves, or just that your skis seem harder to control when you're picking up speed/on steeper or bumpier terrain, these are signs your boots are too big. As my bootfitter told me, these are athletic shoes, not walking shoes. They should be a snug fit all around - not painful, but snug. This allows for better transmission of power from your foot to your ski. If your boot is too big, there will be a delay between your movement and the ski's movement and you will feel less in control. This is why skiers wear very thin ski socks - better transmission of power to the ski.

Rental boots are awful. Rental skis are awful. People tend to think rental gear is the easiest to use because it's low-level - no, it's low-level because no manufacturer is going to put a lot of time or effort into making it feel good when no one is buying it. New modern performance skis that people will actually pay money for are great. Definitely try demoing!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
@KimarieSnow maybe someone on this forum can point you to a shop that'll offer a better experience, not patronize you, have good advice. Trust your gut if you feel a sales dude is just going through a spiel. You're an experienced skier and shouldn't feel the need to put up with questionable advice from someone who doesn't know (or believe) you or doesn't care to take the time to understand your needs/desires.

It's so easy to get overwhelmed with all the technical details and reviews that are on the internet. I like to get into the weeds when I'm researching skis but then I have to come up fo air--too much info! It's likely there are several skis I'd be happy with, but once the money is spent and I'm on a new pair, I adjust. Sometimes it's clear I made a wrong choice (like too short for example), but otherwise I adjust, ski it, and enjoy it.

Paging @nopoleskier because her experience might be helpful. She had a pair of Atomic Clouds that were like rockets (her description I think).
Thank you so much!! Such great advice all around from everyone!! Just vetting out my needs on this forum has given me awesome direction in finding new skis… so grateful!!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Not to harp on the boots since you're happy with them, but if you're a size 5, they're probably too big. I went through a heck of a time trying to find boots that fit properly, and I'm street size 5.5-6. Do you know what your boot size is? I think as of last year, Rossignol didn't make boots under 23.5. I measured as 21.5 but made do with a low volume 22.5. It gets even more confusing because some companies save money by not actually reducing the boot shell size, they just put a smaller liner in and call it a smaller size (this is terrible for performance). I think I remember seeing a chart where Rossignol was one of those companies, but I can't find it now...

If you ever notice shin bang (bruised shins) after skiing, or you feel like your foot moves before the ski moves, or just that your skis seem harder to control when you're picking up speed/on steeper or bumpier terrain, these are signs your boots are too big. As my bootfitter told me, these are athletic shoes, not walking shoes. They should be a snug fit all around - not painful, but snug. This allows for better transmission of power from your foot to your ski. If your boot is too big, there will be a delay between your movement and the ski's movement and you will feel less in control. This is why skiers wear very thin ski socks - better transmission of power to the ski.

Rental boots are awful. Rental skis are awful. People tend to think rental gear is the easiest to use because it's low-level - no, it's low-level because no manufacturer is going to put a lot of time or effort into making it feel good when no one is buying it. New modern performance skis that people will actually pay money for are great. Definitely try demoing!
The Rossi boots I bought a few weeks back are 22.5 and fit like a glove. (Yes, they do indeed come in 22-22.5). No movement or lack of control at all. I’m a size 5 to 5.5 in normal shoes (sneakers, heels et). It really depends on the brand as well as the cut of the shoe. That being said, I have been skiing for 41 years now and my ski boot size has been the same for the last half of those years. I wear ultra thin ski-specific socks. I think boot fit, as well as size, are both critical. No two persons feet are shaped exactly the same. I have never tried rental boots before - only rental skis. I think I’m good on my boots. I posted for help finding proper skis. I’m married to thinner, sharper lines…but I’ve learned a lot about new skis here on the forum and aim to choose a new/modern ski that actually will suit me! Thank you for your help!!

newboots

Angel Diva
I don’t know where you are in Jersey, but Mark Alley at Mt. Everest Ski Sop in Ridgewood, NJ is a great guy. He was my boss before he changed jobs and a pleasure to work with. Tell him Anne sent you and promised you that he would listen to your needs!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Pre-pandemic, Blue Mountain (Palmerton, PA? Maybe not too far from you?) had several demo days. It was at one of them I found my lovely skis - Blizzard Quattro, back when they had a woman's line. I had done a TON of research, and was certain I was going to buy a pair of Salomons, based on reviews and technical data. Tried them, and they weren't a good fit. I never even considered Blizzard, and I love them so much, I added a wedding ring (Phantom). :smile:

The problem has really been my boots. I bought my first pair of slipper-type boots used, based on shoe size. As my skiing progressed, the divas convinced me to see a bootfitter. Sure enough, they were too big. And they were beginner boots. I skied with the new ones for a couple of seasons, but a couple of years ago, I started having problems, so I went to a different bootfitter (Alpina) and found out THOSE boots were too big, too! I was just at Timberline, and my foot was moving around in my boot, even at the tightest settings. I'm hoping it's just the liner and I hope I don't have trouble at Diva East. I'm packing extra socks, just in case.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
I don’t know where you are in Jersey, but Mark Alley at Mt. Everest Ski Sop in Ridgewood, NJ is a great guy. He was my boss before he changed jobs and a pleasure to work with. Tell him Anne sent you and promised you that he would listen to your needs!
Thank you so much!!! That’s not far at all!! Great!!❤️

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I feel your pain: I clearly remember the transition to shaped skis for myself. 1997. K2's (right, @Jilly we had the same model), first mfr to come out with a full line. I'd been on 190's for 20 years. These K2's were 178. Stumps!

I had problems adjusting that first year also. In retrospect, I don't think the skis were all that "right" for me. But as I moved on to others, things came together better. I initially missed that monster camber and the great rebound of a straight ski. And learning to get those feet apart took YEARS.
But definitely give it time and patience, and the "new" (not so new anymore!) skis will show you their stuff! :smile:

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
I feel your pain: I clearly remember the transition to shaped skis for myself. 1997. K2's (right, @Jilly we had the same model), first mfr to come out with a full line. I'd been on 190's for 20 years. These K2's were 178. Stumps!

I had problems adjusting that first year also. In retrospect, I don't think the skis were all that "right" for me. But as I moved on to others, things came together better. I initially missed that monster camber and the great rebound of a straight ski. And learning to get those feet apart took YEARS.
But definitely give it time and patience, and the "new" (not so new anymore!) skis will show you their stuff! :smile:
Thank you so much!! Totally appreciate you for taking the time to share and not make me feel super “alone” or “living under a rock alone”!! I think it’s hard too, when we’ve learned to ski on straights, then spent 20+ years on straights, stopped skiing for baby-making (at least in my world), only to come back and realize it’s a totally different world ski-wise. I rented skis for my first time back on the mountain - which was the worst thing I could have done! It totally turned me off to the modern ski world. I couldn’t stand them. I felt like I had floatation devices or surf boards strapped to my feet. So at that point, I just decided I would hunt down never-been-used, straight skis at all costs. And I did. Joining the Ski Diva community has been the eye opening change and education I needed. So thank you. It means a lot to me.

One quick story: Last weekend, I noticed a man glaring at my vintage skis while in the lift line. He whispered to the guys he was with and they all looked over at my skis and laughed. Well, here’s why you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, or a gal by her skis: two of the 3 guys ended up in the tree line off a difficult trail and the 3rd got clipped by a careless snowboarder when he realized his two friends were eating pine cones! Oops! I guess those modern skis don’t help much if you suck?! Of course, I stopped to make sure everyone was ok because the one fella really took a nasty spill! I made sure they remembered me. Humph. Now, EAT MY SNOW! Swoosh!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@KimarieSnow … there are people at my home hill who have been skiing there for decades, and some of them still ski on straight skis (with the super pointy tips, we all remember the tips, right?). I wouldn’t DARE make fun of them because they’re all hardcore great skiers who look amazing going down the hill.

I just need the technology to make *my* life easier, and it is easier.

Plus, as my husband said about my skis when I was passing him skis from the roof box: they’re SO light! (I have Renouns and he’s on a seasonal rental as he hasn’t skied in 20ish years). The only skis in the house lighter than mine right now are my 10 year old‘s kid skis.

newboots

Angel Diva
Rental boots are awful. Rental skis are awful. People tend to think rental gear is the easiest to use because it's low-level - no, it's low-level because no manufacturer is going to put a lot of time or effort into making it feel good when no one is buying it.

True enough, that rental boots are awful. Our boots would be awful if they were rented out day after day, to different people, and left unbuckled at the end of the day. :eek: The liners never removed to dry out, no maintenance at all. Also, most of them are designed to be rental boots. Heavy, sturdy, easy to buckle.

Rental skis are awful, because they are "everyman/woman" skis, not specific to one's needs at all. But they are designed by the manufacturers to be generic and sturdy. Not a performance ski; if anything, a beginner ski that is sturdier than most. They get a lot of abuse and they are chosen by the resorts (and shops renting skis) to take the punishment.

Not really defending rental skis! :bag: So much better to find the ones that are built with your needs in mind! But they are designed specifically for their one task, and they do what they were designed to do. I'm so happy that @KimarieSnow is going to find skis that are meant for her! :ski:

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Pre-pandemic, Blue Mountain (Palmerton, PA? Maybe not too far from you?) had several demo days. It was at one of them I found my lovely skis - Blizzard Quattro, back when they had a woman's line. I had done a TON of research, and was certain I was going to buy a pair of Salomons, based on reviews and technical data. Tried them, and they weren't a good fit. I never even considered Blizzard, and I love them so much, I added a wedding ring (Phantom). :smile:

The problem has really been my boots. I bought my first pair of slipper-type boots used, based on shoe size. As my skiing progressed, the divas convinced me to see a bootfitter. Sure enough, they were too big. And they were beginner boots. I skied with the new ones for a couple of seasons, but a couple of years ago, I started having problems, so I went to a different bootfitter (Alpina) and found out THOSE boots were too big, too! I was just at Timberline, and my foot was moving around in my boot, even at the tightest settings. I'm hoping it's just the liner and I hope I don't have trouble at Diva East. I'm packing extra socks, just in case.
Are you able to go to a bootfitter? If not, maybe you can pop into a shop at one of the mountains during Diva East. They might be able to pad things to stop your foot from moving around, which is a much better option than adding socks. How long have you had this pair? Sounds like either they were also too big, or your liner might be shot if they have been around awhile..

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
@KimarieSnow … there are people at my home hill who have been skiing there for decades, and some of them still ski on straight skis (with the super pointy tips, we all remember the tips, right?). I wouldn’t DARE make fun of them because they’re all hardcore great skiers who look amazing going down the hill.

I just need the technology to make *my* life easier, and it is easier.

Plus, as my husband said about my skis when I was passing him skis from the roof box: they’re SO light! (I have Renouns and he’s on a seasonal rental as he hasn’t skied in 20ish years). The only skis in the house lighter than mine right now are my 10 year old‘s kid skis.
Yes!! Love it!! I’ve read that all the types of modern, curved skies are made for folks to find skiing easier or more enjoyable. I look forward to sharing what I end up with. Stay tuned… and thank you!!❤️

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva

I was just at BLUE a few weekends ago with my kids - fun mountain and only 50 mins away from me. I’ll call and ask about demo days!! Thank you!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Are you able to go to a bootfitter? If not, maybe you can pop into a shop at one of the mountains during Diva East. They might be able to pad things to stop your foot from moving around, which is a much better option than adding socks. How long have you had this pair? Sounds like either they were also too big, or your liner might be shot if they have been around awhile..
I won't be able to get to a bootfitter before heading to NH. I will likely have to visit someone up there if it's an issue. I have only had this pair for 2 years, with limited time on the snow (I had 21 days last year, which I think was the most I ever had).

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just at BLUE a few weekends ago with my kids - fun mountain and only 50 mins away from me. I’ll call and ask about demo days!! Thank you!
Even if they're not having any demo days coming up, their shop down at the Valley Lodge does demo rentals all season long.

Buckmans used to do demo days at a bunch of different mountains, but I haven't seen that happening in more recent years. We used to hit up the one at Camelback each year. But it might be worthwhile to call and ask them. They're a local chain in the Philly area. Not sure where you're at in NJ and if you'd be familiar with them.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I won't be able to get to a bootfitter before heading to NH. I will likely have to visit someone up there if it's an issue. I have only had this pair for 2 years, with limited time on the snow (I had 21 days last year, which I think was the most I ever had).
I'm sure someone on this forum can recommend a good bootfitter in NH (@newboots , @liquidfeet ?). Or along the way, if you're driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly