• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old versus New?

newboots

Angel Diva
Medium to short turns. Perhaps that’s why my legs are in good shape at my “old lady vintage” age?! I’m like Suzanne Somers with her thigh master! What do you recommend? Meantime: I had to share this picture since I’m earning my rep here with you… don’t worry - I only wore it this once, to make my husband laugh!! One piece: CB!! Now that’s vintage!! Pic from 2019 - not 1989!! Haha!!

On April Fool's day several years ago, my BF and I dressed up in some of his old brightly-colored outfits from the 80s. (I've published this photo before, so apologies to everyone who is tired of it.)

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 29

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Apologies if I confused anyone from my end… by “easy” I felt like the skis were too big, clunky and awkward. I felt like they were floatation devices! They didn’t allow for me to take risks, make quick turns and cut, the way I was used to on my vintage skis. I can compare it to this: I was used to driving a sports car, with 5-speeds off the floor, stick shift…super fun, fast and aggressive…then suddenly I was handed a huge station wagon with an automatic shift and told, “you’re gonna love this! It’s way better and modern!” Yet, I’m plugging along in the slow lane and hating life.

Learning that today’s “rentals are for beginners” and “all the same”…my experiences make a world of sense now. I had never rented in my life until 2015ish when my kids were going to start learning and I needed to get myself some new skis. I was utterly shocked at how much skis had changed in only a few years. I always owned my skis and came from a family of avid skiers. So we never rented. A lot had changed while I was having babies and not on the slopes.

To boot, I have never been a member of a ski blog or even subscribed to ski magazines. So how would I know about any of these industry changes in skis? I just skied. I skied as much as I could, when I could. A lot happens in the world when we are busy momming. So all this feedback and help has been awesome and I’m so grateful I found this community!! ❤️

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
UGH. I hate that at ski shops. It's so hard to be taken seriously as a woman. (Even harder to be old and gray and wanting to be taken seriously.) Lots of the women who come to the shop where I work gravitate toward me, although I freely and often admit that many of the other staff are more knowledgeable. The ski bums who populate these shops like nothing better than to hear themselves talk about skis. Any decent salesperson should do a lot of listening.

Many shops (the ones near the mountains) have demos. Also, most larger mountains should have a demo fleet, likely in their ski shop, not the rental department, although it varies.
You’re amazing!! So grateful to be learning all this about demos!! I never knew!! Calling my local shops next week for certain. Yeah, I felt the exact same way when I bought my boots: A bunch of young, know-it-all, male ski bums, who treated me like I had never skied before. Meantime, I’m 45 years old and while I’m no expert, I’m not a greenhorn either.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
On April Fool's day several years ago, my BF and I dressed up in some of his old brightly-colored outfits from the 80s. (I've published this photo before, so apologies to everyone who is tired of it.)
Ha!! I LOVE IT!!! You guys look awesome!! Oh he still my heart…

Amie H

Angel Diva
Hey ladies! I need some help! I’ve been skiing since I was 3 years old. I consider myself a decent skier - but no expert. As skis have changed and become more “rounded” over the years - I truly understand the reasons for changes/updates & growth with the newer style equipment. I’m not an idiot but I am stubborn (perhaps that’s the same thing). I love, LOVE the old style skis. Long, tight profiles with crisp, sharp points for serious cutting. I’ve always had K2’s from their Comp USA RACER collection. Excellent skis for moguls! I’ve rented the newer model skis a bunch of times and they just don’t feel the same. They sorta feel too “easy” and I love a good fight. So I took to the internet and found a BRAND NEW pair of K2 Comp’s NEVER cut! The lady bought them and then never even took them out of the box. I had a little trouble finding bindings for my new skis! They don’t make very many bindings this narrow today. So I got lucky. Short of the long: I’ve been skiing on them for two seasons and just LOVE THEM!! Yesterday, I few punk kids in the lift lines cut across my skis and badly damaged the veneer… I want to cry!! There’s no fixing them as a piece is literally broken off. So what’s a girl to do? Any advice on skis with a far more narrow design and sharper features? I feel like some of the skis out there look like snowboards: one for each foot. “Modern” skis feel so weird to me. I know. I know…I’m supposed to find them easier, better…blah blah. I can transfer my bindings to new skis but I just don’t even know where to start with ski shopping. I can’t seem to find anything thin and sharp. Thanks for your help! I should change my name to “Old Lady Vintage”!View attachment 17555View attachment 17556
I didn't want to give up my old Rossi straight skis, either! First pair of shaped skis I bought we basically what I rented in 2018 in Taos: Rossignol temptations. They were ok. Just ok.
I demoed a few more brands but nothing clicked w me, read countless reviewed, and based on the reviews + a great oost-season deal online, got my current K2 Tru Luvs. They make skiing easier for me. 77 waist. I'm short, so 153 cm length. I love the Lange boots I got in 2018 so I'm still using those. HOWEVER, I'm still using the poles my dad bought me circa '89-'90 ("Handmade in Shelburne, VT") I just love the grip and won't give them up! :smile:

Amie H

Angel Diva
Medium to short turns. Perhaps that’s why my legs are in good shape at my “old lady vintage” age?! I’m like Suzanne Somers with her thigh master! What do you recommend? Meantime: I had to share this picture since I’m earning my rep here with you… don’t worry - I only wore it this once, to make my husband laugh!! One piece: CB!! Now that’s vintage!! Pic from 2019 - not 1989!! Haha!!
You look FABULOUS in that jumpsuit!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
I didn't want to give up my old Rossi straight skis, either! First pair of shaped skis I bought we basically what I rented in 2018 in Taos: Rossignol temptations. They were ok. Just ok.
I demoed a few more brands but nothing clicked w me, read countless reviewed, and based on the reviews + a great oost-season deal online, got my current K2 Tru Luvs. They make skiing easier for me. 77 waist. I'm short, so 153 cm length. I love the Lange boots I got in 2018 so I'm still using those. HOWEVER, I'm still using the poles my dad bought me circa '89-'90 ("Handmade in Shelburne, VT") I just love the grip and won't give them up! :smile:
Well see?! That makes me so happy to read!! I was starting to feel like something was seriously wrong with me!! I love that you still have your poles your dad bought you…that’s awesome!! I’ll have to check out K2 Tru Luvs!! Thank you❤️

Amie H

Angel Diva
Well see?! That makes me so happy to read!! I was starting to feel like something was seriously wrong with me!! I love that you still have your poles your dad bought you…that’s awesome!! I’ll have to check out K2 Tru Luvs!! Thank you❤️
I think the model I bought were from 2019? I'm not 100% sure they still make them...

But as others have noted, a demo day at a hill or through a shop is helpful!

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, the best would be a "demo day" at a mountain. You can try one ski for a bit, then another, and then another. I never manage to try many but some do. (Take notes. Don't lose the notes.) There should be a discussion of demo days around here somewhere. Ask at your local mountains. This is sometimes free, and easily the best way to try a number of skis.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yes, the best would be a "demo day" at a mountain. You can try one ski for a bit, then another, and then another. I never manage to try many but some do. (Take notes. Don't lose the notes.) There should be a discussion of demo days around here somewhere. Ask at your local mountains. This is sometimes free, and easily the best way to try a number of skis.
Also, if you do fall in love with a ski and decide to buy, most shops will deduct what you paid for the demo from the price of the skis. I even found a place in Taos that deducted 2 days of demo-ing from the ski price!

Jilly

Staff member
1 pieces have a following that's for sure. I had 2 back in the 80's. Descente and Banff. But they were PITA for bathroom or to where to apres.

Demo'ing at a shop, ask for high performance demo's. Otherwise you'll get the same rental type crap you've been getting.

Some resorts have free demo days. You'll need some important ID to try skis. (Something like your driver's license.)

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
1 pieces have a following that's for sure. I had 2 back in the 80's. Descente and Banff. But they were PITA for bathroom or to where to apres.

Demo'ing at a shop, ask for high performance demo's. Otherwise you'll get the same rental type crap you've been getting.

Some resorts have free demo days. You'll need some important ID to try skis. (Something like your driver's license.)
Thank you so much!! You’ve been super helpful!! I’ll let you know what I end up with when I make my choice.
We need a photo blog for throw back onsies!❤️

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can always start a thread. I don't remember having a onesie, and I wish I had a photo of the matching mint green jacket and pants (with elastic at the ankles) that I had in the 80's. If I'm not mistaken, I may have had matching mitts too.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
You can always start a thread. I don't remember having a onesie, and I wish I had a photo of the matching mint green jacket and pants (with elastic at the ankles) that I had in the 80's. If I'm not mistaken, I may have had matching mitts too.
Yesss!!! Love it!!! I’m going to start that thread… I have a few onsies (of course I do). Oh mint green sounds gorgeous! Love the color So much fun!!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @Jilly said. Demo, not rental, if they have a high performance Frontline ski in your size (should be shorter than you are). And take a lesson to get the most out of the new shape & technology. Even today's narrow skis will be different by a lot - but in a good way!
I have been skiing since 1965....even on wood skis... and instructed in 70's. Once I went 'Shaped I never went back - except when I traded my (barely) shaped skis with a friend who still had straight skis...OMG I wanted mine back & she went out & bought some (over 20 years ago).
And hate to break it to you, but if you have size 5 feet, your boots are going to be too big - but that's a whole different and very common story!
Good luck in your search!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
What @Jilly said. Demo, not rental, if they have a high performance Frontline ski in your size (should be shorter than you are). And take a lesson to get the most out of the new shape & technology. Even today's narrow skis will be different by a lot - but in a good way!
I have been skiing since 1965....even on wood skis... and instructed in 70's. Once I went 'Shaped I never went back - except when I traded my (barely) shaped skis with a friend who still had straight skis...OMG I wanted mine back & she went out & bought some (over 20 years ago).
And hate to break it to you, but if you have size 5 feet, your boots are going to be too big - but that's a whole different and very common story!
Good luck in your search!
Thanks so much!! My dad had wood skis - I remember them when I was a tiny tot!! Well, I can’t wait for the upgrade. If you read through my replies - I haven’t been given the chance to give modern skis the chance. So I’m excited!!
Hmmm…On the boots. I’ve skied in them 6 times this season and they seem great - def not too big. By “comfy” I meant - I’m not crying to get them off. They don’t seem too big though. I’ll keep track for certain. While I have been skiing on vintage skis, my boots and bindings have always been modern. So I’m feel certain they aren’t too big.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna